Administrator
Cotton boarder on a Nylon.

Black has been sun bleach perty bad.

Will Rit fix this.

They dont want to spend much...

P1000695.jpg

P1000697.jpg

Bob Foster

Talk about baptism by fire. You must be getting lots of education these days at the expense of your nerves.

You got to be a little nervous every time you clean a rug especially if you are immersing them.

I wonder how long it takes for most genuine Ruggies to loose the apprehension?

Name
Kevin McCreary
I had an interior designer we work for order walk off mats
with that same black cotton border. You know how some
of them are "it looks pretty". Well she forgot, people track
in salt and snow. So after we cleaned them it totally faded
the black dye. I took them back to the shop, hung them on
the drying rack, masked off the border and made sure to cover
the rug with newspaper. Then I went to Auto Zone and bought
2 cans of black automotive carpet spray paint, I think made by
Duplicolor. Spray painted them with 2 coats and they looked brand
new. Until more salt and snow was tracked in and it got black
dye all over the tile floor and rugs. It was a cheap attempt to
make a designer not look too stupid. I suppose it would work
in your case if the rug was kept dry. Keep in mind any loose dye
like that "rit" or what ever may be might transfer off onto other surfaces.
Its hard to make it jet black with Rit but that auto carpet paint would work.
http://www.duplicolor.com/products/vinyl.html

Art Kelley

Supportive Member
Name
Rainbow Carpet And Upholstery Cleaning
If you don't want to replace the border, just leave it and live with it. Any half-assed attempt to dye it or paint it will make you look half-assed.

G

Yes it will; I would be really careful around edges of borders; hang sun bleached areas closest to the ground and use a small cut in paint brush to dab in slowly; let dry completetly before doing any other areas; don't you carry a die kit??

Fon Johnson

Do you know Nathan Koets??

I think for me it would depend on the origin and value of the rug. You are fixing what is broke, and it probably won't look perfect.

Mikey P

Administrator
I think they may spend $100 to make it look "better" so I have to be able to do it quick.

The "rug" is already bleached out from Oxy spotters.

sweendogg

Name
David Sweeney
Mikey replace it or don't touch it.. You will create a problem when she wants it cleaned in the future or as mentioned above and it gets wet.

And to answer another post above:
Bob Foster said:
Talk about baptism by fire. You must be getting lots of education these days at the expense of your nerves.

You got to be a little nervous every time you clean a rug especially if you are immersing them.

I wonder how long it takes for most genuine Ruggies to loose the apprehension?

I puckered my butt for the 2 years but learning to identify the rugs and the inherent cleaning considerations really has made it a lot easier! We are currntly completely the Master Rug Cleaning program with Ellen and Aaron. We had the first three days last week. Now we have our homework to do. Its defantly a passion though.

joe harper

Name
joe harper
Mike,

I have DYED many carpets with SUN FADEING ...when I owed my Auto Detail shop!!!
The DEALERS only wanted a QUICK & CHEAP touch-up of COLOR...so they could
send them to the AUCTION....

Here is the SECRET...The Paint Kevin is talking about is really called a spray DYE.....
It is just a LAQUER based paint with an added FLEX agent.......Mask off the area.....
Apply several thin coats of paint....Remember it is LAQUER..it will dry Fast with very
Little over-spray damage...

Before you REMOVE the tape ......Brush the FINISHED product with a STIFF brush.....
This will give the DYED area a softer texture.....If there are LIGHTER AREAS..Simply
LIGHTLY mist with more DYE.....Then remove the TAPE....Inspect for any bleeding..
If you have any bleeding..Use a Q-tip & Laquer Thinner to remove......

I had great SUCCESS with this process.....NO oxidizing & they would sustain 1 or 2
cleanings without dye loss..........

GOOD LUCK!!!!!!! lots of Profit in this type of repair.....Have them SIGN-OFF....

The Great Oz

Name
bryan
With the advent of quick strike dyes for nylon, it has become a fairly easy fiber to recolor. Cotton requires a different dye process. To do it right, you'd have more money and time involved that just having the faded edge re-bound.

Ever heard the phrase, "No good deed goes unpunished?" Trying to save the customer a buck by doing something half-assed means you give up the right to complain when the customer forgets all of your warnings and holds you responsible. If you hack it and the color crocks, you're on the hook for the damage.

joe harper

Name
joe harper
Bryan,

Please .........Let JUGHEAD ace this rug-up :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink:

He has to learn to say NO....... You can't keep SAVING his ARSE......He ALREADY knows

that is a LOSE-LOSE Propasition......He is either EXTREEMLY STUBORN...Or he CAN'T

PURGE the "COIT GENE" from his DNA :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

harryhides

Name
Tony
Using Rit involves boiling the cotton in the dye mix.

I wonder what it would cost to put on a new boarder ?

Otherwise, I'd walk.

sweendogg

Name
David Sweeney
Good man.. and while your at it.. Ellen and Aaron said to stop being cheap, and get to their class next year to actually learn about rugs so you don't have to whore out our wealth of knowledge to save your butt! :lol: Just think how much more credible you would be if you could walk into Mrs. Jones Home and say to her, oh what a lovely Tabriz you have there.... product knowledge is bliss.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom