Ron Werner Convert

Walt

Jarrod, (the guy who was with me a Myteefest) called and said he spent 2.5 hour vacuuming 1000 sqft of carpet - buckets of dust and fur.

Ron has a convert.

Jimmy L

Name
Jimmy L
I've been vacuuming my carpet for two straight days!

And I don't see an end in sight!

TimP

If Ron could only see what it looks like when you pull out carpet......

there is no way you can ever get all the dry soil out of carpet.

Doug Cox

Supportive Member
Name
Doug Cox
So how long was he there in total and how much did he make. That should tell you whether he spent too much time vacuuming. By following Werners vacuuming techniques is only gonna cost you in revenues long term. There is such a thing as overkill.

Ron Werner

Name
Ron Werner
go to cleartrak.com, about $360

TimP said:
If Ron could only see what it looks like when you pull out carpet......

there is no way you can ever get all the dry soil out of carpet.
I've seen it, and I know that. BUt if carpet cleaners would only do what they are supposed to do, ie removed the soil from the carpet, that and homeowners vacuuming well enough, then there wouldn't be all that dust under the carpet, there would just be latex broken down after time and use.

People hire a cleaner to "clean" the carpet and all they get is "looks good".

Ron Werner

Name
Ron Werner
Doug Cox said:
So how long was he there in total and how much did he make. That should tell you whether he spent too much time vacuuming. By following Werners vacuuming techniques is only gonna cost you in revenues long term. There is such a thing as overkill.

I'd rather do the job right than brag about a half assed job. Of course, if thats all your client wants, fine.
I get hired because people know how I clean and they are willing to pay more for it.
Wait for the video I'll show of what the TM's leave behind.

Doug Cox

Supportive Member
Name
Doug Cox
Ron- I'm sure there are more guys here that feel you spend way too time vacuuming than ones that feel you don't.

Ron Werner

Name
Ron Werner
Doug Cox said:
Ron- I'm sure there are more guys here that feel you spend way too time vacuuming than ones that feel you don't.
You'd be right Doug, no doubts. But I enjoy cleaning, I enjoy working, its like polishing a car, I step back after a hour or so and look at the finished product and there is pride in what I've done. How much pride can someone have if their only goal is a hourly rate? (I answer my own questions) Guess you guys get the pride of providing for your family, and no one can argue with that either.

But when someone asks me what separates me from other cleaners, I stop and think, its simply taking alittle extra time to vacuum. Nothing rocket science. I don't spend 45min in every room every job, ONLY if it needs it. Some places only need 10 min per room, if that. But I'm "willing" to put the time in to do whats necessary.

hogjowl

Idiot™
Personally, I wish I could do it the way Ron does. I am a bit of a perfectionist myself, and I get a great deal of satisfaction being the best at what I do. I have tried for years now to hold to the best practices in this business and have managed to support my family by doing it, but I have not been able to achieve what I feel is my optimal potential in this business. My market will just not support a high end cleaner ... at least not allow me to grow old, sell and retire with anything.

To make any appreciable money at this, in my area, I am going to have to lower my standards a bit to stay busy. There just aren't that many rich people around in this farm country.

harryhides

Name
Tony
admiralclean said:
Personally, I wish I could do it the way Ron does. I am a bit of a perfectionist myself, and I get a great deal of satisfaction being the best at what I do. I have tried for years now to hold to the best practices in this business and have managed to support my family by doing it, but I have not been able to achieve what I feel is my optimal potential in this business. My market will just not support a high end cleaner ... at least not allow me to grow old, sell and retire with anything.

To make any appreciable money at this, in my area, I am going to have to lower my standards a bit to stay busy. There just aren't that many rich people around in this farm country.

Fascinating.

R

rotovacguy

Ron Werner said:
[quote="Doug Cox":21h43adh]Ron- I'm sure there are more guys here that feel you spend way too time vacuuming than ones that feel you don't.
You'd be right Doug, no doubts. But I enjoy cleaning, I enjoy working, its like polishing a car, I step back after a hour or so and look at the finished product and there is pride in what I've done. How much pride can someone have if their only goal is a hourly rate? (I answer my own questions) Guess you guys get the pride of providing for your family, and no one can argue with that either.

But when someone asks me what separates me from other cleaners, I stop and think, its simply taking alittle extra time to vacuum. Nothing rocket science. I don't spend 45min in every room every job, ONLY if it needs it. Some places only need 10 min per room, if that. But I'm "willing" to put the time in to do whats necessary.[/quote:21h43adh]

Hi Ron,

I'm not too far from Doug, and in these parts there are not many people with a huge amount of disposable income. I hear a lot of the guys on here shoot for about $100 an hour, which is fine if you can get it. I just don't see any of my clients willing to pay me even a fraction of that to vacuum their carpets.

I guess the question is, how do you determine how much time each job will take? Do you do walk ins and inspect every client?

Certainly you must charge extra for your time.....how do they respond when you tell them the price difference?

Don't get me wrong, I vacuum , too, but admittedly I do it very quick. I've never had a job take me 2+ hours just to vacuum, I usually just hit the main walkpaths.

Ron Werner

Name
Ron Werner
I took the naive approach. Vacuuming is an unknown, I never know till I start. Some will scoff, but I just do what I know I need to do and leave the income to the Lord.
I come into a week with nothing booked, no marketing out the door, but I wait to see what He sends. Some weeks I'll work almost every day from little jobs that come in. When I have time off, like this week, I know I have other things to attend to, like studying T&G now that I have the tools, or the Stainless class, not to mention chores around the house.

I know not everyone will or can do what I do, but this should be the standard, to remove the dry soil before cleaning, whatever method. I've been told I'm over cleaning. I don't see how when other guys leave more soil in the carpet. It looks good, but the soil is there. They just don't tell the client.

Doug Cox

Supportive Member
Name
Doug Cox
Ron Werner said:
It looks good, but the soil is there. They just don't tell the client.

Ron- There are different ways to skin a cat. You do it your way and I'll do it mine and we'll still end up with the same results. Some would say you could be shortening the life of the carpets you clean from over vacuuming.

RandyHilburn

I was wondering how some can sleep at night knowing that there is dirt and debris under the backing of the carpet? Is the cleaning job really done if you don't clean both sides and remove the source material? I mean, you know that dirt has filtered thru the backing and when the customer walks on the fibers it will resurface, yet how often do you lift carpet and clean-up the hidden mess? If you don't, are you a hack?

Ron Werner

Name
Ron Werner
Walrus said:
Ron isn't that cleartrak the old FANTOM vac?

Orig Fantom died mid 80's
http://fantomvacuums.net/faq/faq.shtml

Dyson was thought of in 78, built in 83
http://www.english.dysoncanada.ca/about/story/

Amway acquired patent rights and built the CMS 1000 in 1988, the Cleartrak in 1990.

Doug Cox said:
Some would say you could be shortening the life of the carpets you clean from over vacuuming.
If I don't it'll get shortened even more with the sand that I leave in there, so the lesser of two weevils.

RandyHilburn said:
I was wondering how some can sleep at night knowing that there is dirt and debris under the backing of the carpet? Is the cleaning job really done if you don't clean both sides and remove the source material? I mean, you know that dirt has filtered thru the backing and when the customer walks on the fibers it will resurface, yet how often do you lift carpet and clean-up the hidden mess? If you don't, are you a hack?
Why do you think people are ripping out carpet and replacing it with hard surface.
1. They can clean it themselves and know that soil is there
2. They got fed up having a "professional" clean the carpet and then get spots back the next day. Now I know this doesn't apply to anyone on this board, more to the SS and Chemsoil hacks.

alazo1

Name
Albert Lazo
Chemsoil hacks

Hey,hey,hey. Watch it buddy, I still have a week left of this gig.

:lol:

I'm a Ron convert as well. I did a 4 room and hall yesterday, a lot of dog hair. I vacuumed for 20 minutes. Usually takes 15. Damn. You can usually tell how much loose crap is in the carpet almost immediately by the sound of the vacuum. Bagless.

Ron, are you rinsing with a tool that allows you to see what non-loose soils come out of the carpet?. Sighttube or something of the nature?

What do you do when you have jobs back to back and you find that you have to spend twice longer to vacuum on the first?

Albert

steve r

well i think youd have to have some pretty cheap carpeting if theres that much dirt getting through the backing.makes me wonder how many have ever looked at the back of a piece of carpet.and then to be able to pull it up through the pad and the backing, i mean come on.
and i would have to believe that ron cleans for wealthier folks so the chances are they have very nice carpeting.

now i do believe what ron does is very very good but like mardy i live in a more rural area with a lot of blue collar folks.i do charge extra for vacuuming if it needs it and i agree that there are times i thought the carpet looked ok but then started pulling hair out like crazy and had to stop to vac but it doesnt happen that often.

i have always liked vacuuming from working at the schools and i vacuum my own home a lot or at least for long periods when i do but its hard for me to justify to the customer the extra cost when in the end it looks just as good.

Jimmy L

Name
Jimmy L
Amway would never make something like the cleartrak but would private label an existing brand. In the past they even sold EDIC portables.

Yours resembles the FURY vac by FANTOM.

I laugh when I see that DYSON commercial comparing a 4 wheeled vac to theirs.
I've never seen a 4 wheeled vac with wheels on each corner.

DYSON........the housewive's over priced POS.

Ron Werner

Name
Ron Werner
Albert Lazo said:
Chemsoil hacks

Hey,hey,hey. Watch it buddy, I still have a week left of this gig.

:lol:

I'm a Ron convert as well. I did a 4 room and hall yesterday, a lot of dog hair. I vacuumed for 20 minutes. Usually takes 15. Damn. You can usually tell how much loose crap is in the carpet almost immediately by the sound of the vacuum. Bagless.

Ron, are you rinsing with a tool that allows you to see what non-loose soils come out of the carpet?. Sighttube or something of the nature?

What do you do when you have jobs back to back and you find that you have to spend twice longer to vacuum on the first?

Albert

Unfortunately I don't have a clear sight tube on the wand. I vacuum out what I can and then I do what everyone else does, clean till it looks good. I know what I removed dry and its out of the equation. Like the movie Speed, guy has a hostage, what do you do? Shoot the hostage, take them out of the equation.

The back to back jobs? That becomes a challenge. Sometimes I simply get there late after calling and explaining the situation. If it really puts me behind, I call, explain, and reschedule. The way I look at it, I'm there to do my job, they are paying me and expect the job to be done right, so how can I rush one job to get to another. Sometimes I've even passed on work to Bob or Doug, another cleaner that vacuums as much or more than I do. I'm an owner operator, not a multitruck, so I don't think like a multitruck operation, I don't think mass production.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom