Roots Blower Help Needed

Doug Cox

Supportive Member
Name
Doug Cox
So my 59 blower has around 8500 hours on it and its starting to make a grumbling noise at idle speed. Don't know if it's a bearing or maybe the lobes might be coming in contact with each other. At cleaning speed it doesn't happen. There is rusty dust with what looks to be metal particles under the rear area of the blower. I'm trying to find out if this is a replacement situation or if someone know what is going on and if there is just a part that might need to be replaced. I haven't replaced a blower in 20 years and am not familiar with the 59 blowers. Thanks in advance.

Dale

Name
Dale Collins
Hi Doug:

I don't like to guess.Your question is hard to answer without showing how feeling/hearing it needs to be done. A blower mechanic can take the belts off and feel/hear a bad bearing vs lobes contacting. However lobes contacting normally do not get better with highr RPM's like you describe.

Where is the "dust"? While it is possible that lobes would create dust- I've never seen it. I have seen gear teeth create dust inside the crankcase though.

Sincerely,
Dale

Last edited:

Doug Cox

Supportive Member
Name
Doug Cox
If that's the case, what are my options. Is it repairable in place? Is it repairable? Are any special tools needed? Easier to replace than to fix? Any help is appreciated. I'm not sure how long this thing is going to keep going. Aren't the bearings lubricated by the oil? This is a DSL blower.

John Olson

Name
John Olson
I have a parts machine here. (Blown motor) if you need a blower or any other genesis parts let me know.

Johnny

Supportive Member
Name
Johnny
Slight engine exhaust leak can make a rattling/knocking sound at idle but be unnoticeable at higher rpms.

Check exhaust fittings near blower.

Last edited:

FredC

Village Idiot
Pull the covers and take a look. Most issues can be fixed.. Repair kits with gears are available from places like pdbowers. Com

Around $450

If gears aren't needed and it's just bearings and seals they can usually be found locally

juniorc82

Supportive Member
Name
Jon Coret
Posts like this scare the weasles out of me!

Chris
shoot he has almost 9,000 hours on that thing. If anyything this shouuld be a confidence building thread to show you how long a machine can last if you take care of it. Doug must take care of his stuff like a mofo if he's got 8500 hrs on a slide in.

Name
BradFenstermaker
Doug I am not familiar with how Genisis are set up. But you can replace bearings on the pulley side your self in a few hours. Once its on the workbench anyway. You need to relieve belts from pulley.

Then grab the blower shaft and move it North/South then East/West. If you have a lot of play then bearing may help you. Quicker option is call Roots or Tuthill. Get a order for remanufactured blower.

Motion industry or industrial bearing can mike the seals and bearings for replacement parts match.

Call me if I can help 423-802-0657 I have never worked on dual spash but probably the same for endplate's. Gear side repair is a whole lot more involved, I don't recomend.

Doug Cox

Supportive Member
Name
Doug Cox
Doug I am not familiar with how Genisis are set up. But you can replace bearings on the pulley side your self in a few hours. Once its on the workbench anyway. You need to relieve belts from pulley.

Then grab the blower shaft and move it North/South then East/West. If you have a lot of play then bearing may help you. Quicker option is call Roots or Tuthill. Get a order for remanufactured blower.

Motion industry or industrial bearing can mike the seals and bearings for replacement parts match.

Call me if I can help 423-802-0657 I have never worked on dual spash but probably the same for endplate's. Gear side repair is a whole lot more involved, I don't recomend.
Thanks for the offer, Brad. I have a shiny new blower sitting in my garage. A rebuilt wasn't available. This blower is a beast. My main challenge is getting the old one out and separating it from the blower pre heater. I'm thinking a 2X4 through a chain on the blower might do the trick. I haven't decided whether to take it on this weekend. I don't want to get it out of the machine and not be able to get the pre heater off the blower.

rwcarpet

Supportive Member
Name
Robert Hodge
Thanks for the offer, Brad. I have a shiny new blower sitting in my garage. A rebuilt wasn't available. This blower is a beast. My main challenge is getting the old one out and separating it from the blower pre heater. I'm thinking a 2X4 through a chain on the blower might do the trick. I haven't decided whether to take it on this weekend. I don't want to get it out of the machine and not be able to get the pre heater off the blower.

Man, I can't imagine how you're going to separate that blower/HX connection. When they were built, PC didn't think they'd ever need replaced! All I can think is to cut the huge nipple exiting the blower bottom at about the half way mark, then re-connect with some type of rubber/steel clamp connection. What's the weight of the blower? One question I did have.....does your Genny have the Hayes coupler, or is it driven directly from the flywheel? When my Hayes coupler was going bad, it had the same noise. That was easy to replace.p1_zps461e2350.jpgp3_zpsfe04f719.jpgshaft2_zps3d961768.jpg

John Olson

Name
John Olson
Here ya go Doug. We just removed this blower today. What you don't see is the hour it took to get to that point.. Good Luck don't destroy your HX box. If you do this one will be welded back together and for sale $500

[video=youtube_share;wocIynToOR0]http://youtu.be/wocIynToOR0[/video]
[video=youtube_share;LYSiCcEmE2k]http://youtu.be/LYSiCcEmE2k[/video]

Doug Cox

Supportive Member
Name
Doug Cox
Yeah, that's what I was worried about. I called Guaranteed Cleaning Supply ( Larry White) and he set me up with a new manifold to replace the pre heater. I was sweating about that part of the project, but that saved my ass.

Name
BradFenstermaker
DADGUM! Doug definetly try to confirm the problem before this big Nightmare. Good Luck, just do it when you have the time to commit.

Doug Cox

Supportive Member
Name
Doug Cox
DADGUM! Doug definetly try to confirm the problem before this big Nightmare. Good Luck, just do it when you have the time to commit.
I'm thinking without having to deal with separating the blower and preheater could save me a lot of time. It might be a one day repair. It always helps to look ahead at potential issues. I really have no other options. Next weekend looks to be the time to get this done. That's fine, I wanted to get 3 days into my flip and not have to deal with this. I just need to get 4 more days out of my blower, which I think is doable

Goldenboy

Name
Mike Waldron
My blower makes weird sounds all the time just dump some how soapy water in it and wash it out. Then the sounds are gone. Just unstuck mine last month cuz I let it get too dirty.

Golden Boy

rwcarpet

Supportive Member
Name
Robert Hodge
I'm thinking without having to deal with separating the blower and preheater could save me a lot of time. It might be a one day repair. It always helps to look ahead at potential issues. I really have no other options. Next weekend looks to be the time to get this done. That's fine, I wanted to get 3 days into my flip and not have to deal with this. I just need to get 4 more days out of my blower, which I think is doable

I still say you should cut the nipple from the blower 1/2 way, lift the blower out, reinstall new blower with the old blower 1/2 nipple or a new one, and use a steam pipe connector to rejoin them up.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom