Rotary extractor saves your back?

joey895

Supportive Member
Name
Joey J.
I've seen posted many times that using a rotary extractor saves your back and is less tiring than a wand. I had a short stint with a 360 before I broke it and I'd definitely agree the cleaning itself was easier, however, after cleaning I had to either go back over the area with a wand or a rake to get the swirls out which to me is just as hard on the back, maybe harder.

How am I wrong?

I ask because I'm kicking around the idea of buying one but it's a lot of money and I'm not 100% sold. For some perspective right now I scrub with a crb before extracting with the wand.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Jim Martin

Supportive Member
Name
Jim Martin
I hate to tell you this but just because you rotary clean...there is no way your going to get away with not using a wand and/or a rake..........even the best rotary cleaner out there is going to get swirls........

Reactions: Art Kelley

joey895

Supportive Member
Name
Joey J.
I hate to tell you this but just because you rotary clean...there is no way your going to get away with not using a wand and/or a rake..........even the best rotary cleaner out there is going to get swirls........

That's kind of my point. Doesn't seem to me like it would save my back or speed me up so why would I buy one?

The vast majority of my jobs are well within the ability of my crb/wand combo to provide an exceptional job.

I'm basically looking for someone to sell me on the benefits.

Sent from my Galaxy S5 using Tapatalk.

Russ T.

Supportive Member
Name
Russ Terhaar
You're probably better off sticking with what you're already doing. I really like my 360i but it definitely hasn't sped me up any. I think there is a wow factor with a rotary because it's a cool gadget that impresses some homeowners but I'm not sure it does a better job than the crb/wand combo. I really wish I had a crb actually. I think it might speed things up a bit.

The Clean Machine

Reactions: Steve Lawrence
Name
Steve Lawrence
Sorry, Russ. I disagree. The RX-20 made it so much easier on me that my back became a non-issue. Years of repetitive wand cleaning messed my back (and front) up pretty good. The RX is a much more balanced exercise, at least for me. It help me a lot.

I also had to make modifications in my upholstery cleaning methods because I got badly injured rockin' out too much upholstery with dinosaur tools.

Our bodies are precious. Take care of them.

joey895

Supportive Member
Name
Joey J.
Sorry, Russ. I disagree. The RX-20 made it so much easier on me that my back became a non-issue. Years of repetitive wand cleaning messed my back (and front) up pretty good. The RX is a much more balanced exercise, at least for me. It help me a lot.

I also had to make modifications in my upholstery cleaning methods because I got badly injured rockin' out too much upholstery with dinosaur tools.

Our bodies are precious. Take care of them.

I'm glad to hear this so how do you handle the swirls in a way that is easy on the back?

I'm thinking of maybe clean with rotary extractor and then groom with a lightweight crb like the sebo. That would seem easier on the body than a wand or rake. Plus I could put my shark tooth pattern that my customer have come to expect back in the carpet.

joey895

Supportive Member
Name
Joey J.
Speaking of cool factor for the customer. I think the crb has that covered. At least a real crb does not so much a Sebo type machine.

GeneMiller

Name
gene miller
I had back surgery in 2002 and bought the powerwand from rotovac right after. I used it for over a year only until I healed completely. I never used the wand during that time. I never had one customer complain about the swirls. They just vacuum out. It's not faster than a wand unless the carpets trashed then it is. Today I exclusively use the zipper because it keeps you centered and is fast. It does take time to get used to but you will. No more torquing one side and causing problems down the road. Eric has a real winner. Old habits are hard to change but I have now trained 3 guys that have never cleaned carpets on both tools. All 3 choose he zipper.

Gene

Reactions: Lee Stockwell

joey895

Supportive Member
Name
Joey J.
I had back surgery in 2002 and bought the powerwand from rotovac right after. I used it for over a year only until I healed completely. I never used the wand during that time. I never had one customer complain about the swirls. They just vacuum out. It's not faster than a wand unless the carpets trashed then it is. Today I exclusively use the zipper because it keeps you centered and is fast. It does take time to get used to but you will. No more torquing one side and causing problems down the road. Eric has a real winner. Old habits are hard to change but I have now trained 3 guys that have never cleaned carpets on both tools. All 3 choose he zipper.

Gene

The Zipper is certainly on my radar as well.

Do you pre scrub at all or does the Zipper allow you to skip the pre scrub?

Does the Zipper get close enough to the edge or do you have to use a different tool for edging?

Art Kelley

Supportive Member
Name
Rainbow Carpet And Upholstery Cleaning
You definitely should get a 360i Joey.You can use it to precondition like you are doing with your CRB, it's versatile with a bonnet head and pads and bonnets. It really shines on those dog jobs with the swoop head; instead of scrubbing and wanding, which is very labor intensive, you just run the 360i and blast through the spots and traffic lanes scrubbing and extracting at once. There is no wear and tear on your back or shoulders which comes into play when working nonstop 10 hours a day 6 days a week. My shoulder pain which bothered me for 4 years and involved biannual cortisone injections disappeared after a few months of using the rotary. That really is the icing on the cake, but it's beauty is in it's ability to outclean every other method including 175 or CRB/wanding.
As for the followup wanding, it only takes a few minutes to hit the corners and even out the swirls, all the hard labor is over.

Reactions: Shorty

Russ T.

Supportive Member
Name
Russ Terhaar
I'm able to achieve really impressive before/after pics with the 360i. I've been using it for about a year and have people call and ask if we are that company that uses "that thing".

Maybe I need to get the pad driver for it to scrub the really bad ones? Maybe they could make a scrub head?

The Clean Machine

DryMaster

I have a modified RX 20 and a modified 360i but if it is not a trashed carpet I agitate with an upright vacuum. Have for decades. Currently I use a several year old Tennant V-SMU-14. I always prevac then use the onboard wand to vac the edges then pretreet. When I agitate with the upright, this particular one has the ability to disengage the airflow and so you are only spinning the brush roller. Tennant also has the same machine with a dual motor setup. With a dual motor upright all you have to do is install a switch to disengage the vacuum motor and you have a brush agitator without haveing to bring in another piece of equipment. It works out great on most residential. When I really have to get mean I bring out the RX or 360.

Reactions: Russ T.

Russ T.

Supportive Member
Name
Russ Terhaar
I have a modified RX 20 and a modified 360i but if it is not a trashed carpet I agitate with an upright vacuum. Have for decades. Currently I use a several year old Tennant V-SMU-14. I always prevac then use the onboard wand to vac the edges then pretreet. When I agitate with the upright, this particular one has the ability to disengage the airflow and so you are only spinning the brush roller. Tennant also has the same machine with a dual motor setup. With a dual motor upright all you have to do is install a switch to disengage the vacuum motor and you have a brush agitator without haveing to bring in another piece of equipment. It works out great on most residential. When I really have to get mean I bring out the RX or 360.

That sounds like an awesome idea, agitating with a vacuum. I was thinking about that and wondering if there is a vac that would do that well.

The Clean Machine

Art Kelley

Supportive Member
Name
Rainbow Carpet And Upholstery Cleaning
Be careful joey, you're becoming a bone collector. Before you know it you have a warehouse full of $hit like me :errf:

Anyone want to buy an rx 20 ... :shifty:
I still have my early 80s RX 20. I hear it's good on cgd with GreenGlides on but it's definitely not a helpful rotary for high production residential work.

GCCLee

Supportive Member
Name
C. Lee
The Red pad driver is my favorite.

Followed by the Sukin 4 jet, Then the Scrub-Suk 3 jet and I rarely use the hard scrub 3 jet no suk : )

If I set up to dual we'd be suh dang twisted up, lol

2usybaqu.jpg

Sent from da parking garage of dee detention center

Ron Werner

Name
Ron Werner
I must be holding the rotary wrong. It was either pulling on my right arm/shoulder or on my back.
Since getting a glided wand, its so much easier, I can stand up straight and hardly bend over at all

Name
Marcus
I have an rx20 with green glides.....put 11002s on it for. Wider covering...works fine on commercial

However I just ordered the zipper
shud be here in a few days.....

I will sale the rx20.....very reasonable.....
If your in texas give me a call or I can ship

Last edited:

GCCLee

Supportive Member
Name
C. Lee
I must be holding the rotary wrong. It was either pulling on my right arm/shoulder or on my back.
Since getting a glided wand, its so much easier, I can stand up straight and hardly bend over at all

Drop the handle to right above your man hood, handles should rest at your hips.

Simple twisting while driving and you should be able to turn easily. Keep the Driver Flat unless your trying to heel the pad. ( run the pad on edge to really scrub a spot)

I swing mine wide! like a crackhead wit a weedeater, yom yom yom : )

Sent from da parking garage of dee detention center

Mikey P

Administrator
I believe most of you totally over use rotary extractors.

If you're a residential cleaner less than 15% of your jobs need that many passes.

Unless you've priced yourself into a shit hole market share.

Great equipment, high flow, 2.5, plenty of well formulated prespray and good technique will get the job done with out the hassle and fanfare.

Bad back?

Get a damn helper.

Reactions: Lee Stockwell

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
Its slower, a bit of a hassle but you can't compare cleaning with a wand to a rotary. The rotary does a far better job of rinsing. In order for you to clean as we with the wand you'd have to clean from angles and then it would also take longer.

Is that type of cleaning needed throughout the home? Generally not, unless its a trashed apt or rental. Most only need the entry and traffic areas flushed that well. Some don't need it at all.

We use it as a fail safe, if we're cleaning and we're not happy with the results we whip out the Rotovac XL.

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
I still get out in "the field", I just don't stay there. My job is being "the inside guy". I direct traffic, steer the supervisors and crew leaders in the right direction. Fix cracks....a lot of that. Find out what caused a problem and make sure it doesn't happen again

I cleaned my daughters house a couple of weeks ago. I cleaned upholstery here in our shop for two days last week and I went on a WDR loss last month. I was at a fire loss in February for an afternoon wiping walls until we could shake a few crews lose to take over the job. I haven't been to a sewage or mold job in quite a few years other than to look at the progress there.

I don't get out as much as I would like but it's not what I do.

Besides for what Mike pays me I really need to focus on my posting here. :p

Reactions: Shorty and GCCLee

ruff

Name
Ofer Kolton
Though he does not (yet) know, read and or was the least aware of it, Sir Richard is a true follower of :

In Praise of Idleness

Bertrand Russell

"L
ike most of my generation, I was brought up on the saying: 'Satan
finds some mischief for idle hands to do.' Being a highly virtuous child,
I believed all that I was told, and acquired a conscience which has kept
me working hard down to the present moment.

But although my
conscience has controlled my actions, my opinions have undergone a
revolution. I think that there is far too much work done in the world,
that immense harm is caused by the belief that work is virtuous, and
that what needs to be preached in modern industrial countries is quite
different from what always has been preached.

Everyone knows the
story of the traveler in Naples who saw twelve beggars lying in the sun
(it was before the days of Mussolini), and offered a lira to
the laziest of them. Eleven of them jumped up to claim it, so he gave it to the
twelfth. this traveler was on the right lines."

Don't be a wimp Richard, stand by, don't apologize for your principles.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom