rotary versus gls

bill waters

Whats the best machine for scrubbing residential carpet?
In many homes that I clean the traffic areas are really trashed. I have used a rotary with a pad , will the cylindrical brushes do a better job and will it be easier to use? Thanks for any input.

Mikey P

Administrator
I have a heavy 175 rotary that I use with a verity of fiber pads and I have a GLS with grey, blue and green brushes.

Because of the 175's weight, I find it does a much better job at breaking loose stubborn stick, greasy type soils. It's also quicker then the GLS but a pain to lug upstairs.

The GLS's strong points are it's pile lifting action and it's ability to dig/pull sand and hair from deep within the nap. It is much lighter then the 175 as well. Absolutely necessary when cleaning a home that reeks of decomposing dog/cat hair.
I dont use mine for shampooing commercial anymore since I prefer the Cimex for commercial work so the GLS is grossly overpriced to just be used as a "Pre Scrubber"

I have used both on some really bad carpets so the answer to your question is keep the 175 and find a used Host machine to do your cylindrical scrubbing with.

Derek

Supportive Member
Name
Derek
yes, unless you are gonna use your rotary, buy a used Host off of eBay. does nearly the same thing, only difference is it is a little lighter in weight than a GLS. but a LOT cheaper! for only pre-scrubbing resi of course.

hogjowl

Idiot™
I dunno bout that. While I can't speak personally about the utility of a Host machine (and I imagine neither can you two), Brad Fenstermaker has one and has told me it's not all that.

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni
I can speak personally about a Host machine.
(the small one anyway)

It's no comparison to a rotary.

I've used our Cert pile brush to agitate, it's no comparison to a rotary either.

Rotary is clearly better at shearing soil off the face of the fiber

..L.T.A.

ron markam

I have used both a rotary and gls to prescrub. I much prefer the gls over the rotary.It seems to scrub the whole fiber whereas a rotary does not. Plus after using rotaries for years doing floors and stuff I have no desire to continue to lug one of those monsters around if i do not have to.

DavidVB

I still have 2 Host machines. I also have 2 speed rotaries and a GLS. To me the GLS is highly superior to a Host machine for pre-scrubbing primarily due to weight. If choosing between a rotary and the GLS, each seems to have their advantages. I tend to prefer the lighter weight and pile lifting of the GLS.

Derek

Supportive Member
Name
Derek
hot diggity i guessed right, i figured my Host was lighter than a GLS. not enough of a variety of brushes for it tho like the GLS...i only have the cream and the Zebra brushes. definitely alotta advantages for the GLS but for simply prescrubbing resi carpet, why drop a couple/few grand?? you can pick up a Host for a few hundred on eBay. if you already have a rotary, then there you go. but the Host is MUCH lighter and i believe more maneuverable than a rotary, having used both.

thanx --- Derek.

G

You couldnt give me FREE.. any dual cyl machine of any type.

Like Larry said.. I'll take the rotary every single time.

versatility.

and quieter too. Thats worth alot when working in hotel halls.. at night.. with customers asleep inside their rooms.

Stairs are a piece of cake. taking the rotary up and down. I hope people aren't carrying a rotary up. Stupid..

theres an art to doing it quickly and safely.

DavidVB

Thanks Steve. Whenever I decide to give a Host machine or a GLS away, I now know not to call you.

Derek, when we used to use the Host machines in the 80's we would lay an ankle weight across the machine. Also if you have 2 you can hook them together and cover some area. They used to offer a gold brush for wool and solid black for commercial. We used to use the Zebras some on cut pile, but I don't think I would now. The white brushes are safer.

hogjowl

Idiot™
Scott Rogers picked up a used GLS on E-Bay for a song and a dance. I bought mine new, paid an arm and a leg, but haven't regretted the decision once. If I had it to do all over again, I wouldn't purchase the auto-sprayer and solution tank, though.

I like the standard 15 inch machine with the standard three colors of brushes.

I agree totally with what Ron said. Ron's an old hand with rotary machines.

Jimmy L

Name
Jimmy L
A GLS doesn't make that much noise Dobsen......have you ever seen one up close?

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni
"Whenever I decide to give a Host machine or a GLS away, I now know not to call "

Dave, I don't want the Host machine, but when you decide to give away the GLS, give me a ring....

..L.T.A.

Derek

Supportive Member
Name
Derek
DavidVB said:
Derek, when we used to use the Host machines in the 80's we would lay an ankle weight across the machine. Also if you have 2 you can hook them together and cover some area. They used to offer a gold brush for wool and solid black for commercial. We used to use the Zebras some on cut pile, but I don't think I would now. The white brushes are safer.

good idea with the ankle weights Dave :!: never knew you could hook 2 up, tho i really can't see i'd need it.

well now i'm ticked. i bought this set of Zebra brushes new because a Host "expert" on the fourms recommended it...and now i reckon i shoulda bought the black brushes?!?!?!?! ARGH!!! :!: :!: !!! :!: :!: !!

irritated --- Derek.

BTW, why no sprayer and tank Marty?

nice bird Mike!

Greenie

Zebra brushes are awesome, very versatile, if you have anything but nicest homes you are safe when they are wet, and just about any berber is good to go.

The Zebra also has enough kick to use on commercial.
The white feel fairly stiff when dry, but once wet they are kinda soft and a bit more gentle than I would want in many situations.

Remember these were designed to be run with low moisture dry compound, not on heavily presprayed carpet, the moisture does affect their action.

I know I have a host newb. on the line, when I hear how much better a rotary is, cause they simply are not better, just different. The hair removal and pile lifting is incredible, and if you have a real bad TL, just slow down and let the brushes do their magic, it will make a difference.

Plus, like it's been pointed out, you can pick them up cheap and they run forever, easy maint. I kinda regret selling my machines.

Why are those GLS machines so damn expensive?

DavidVB

Derek,

The black brushes would be better for level loop, but you have your Cimex for that. Greenie makes a good point about the Zebras when used on a durable wet carpet. You have white, Zebra and a Cimex. I think you're good in the agitation department.

I agree the GLS is expensive, but I find it scrubs better than my Host machines. I don't use the sprayer when in a home, but I do like it when I choose to use it on commercial instead of the Cimex. I also like it for scrubbing tile and grout.

I also agree with Greenie that the GLS and a rotary are better viewed as different, rather than superior or inferior. It's nice to have both although since we don't clean many nasties, we don't do a lot of pre-scrubbing.

Derek

Supportive Member
Name
Derek
Greenie and Dave, i mostly do CGD and use my Host only in that setting, and i only use it for Encap spotting. it's easier to carry a 35# Host into a building to hit a few spots than it is the 110# Cimex, so that is why i like the Host.

that said, wouldn't the Black brushes be better than the Zebra for spotting CGD :?: i was told originally by someone else that Black is not good for carpet... he musta been thinking of cut pile resi i guess.

another question: how might my Zebra's work on T&G? would it dig into the Grout lines at all? or would Black do a ton better?

thanx for the help fellas :D --- Derek.

DavidVB

Derek

In the 80's we cleaned a lot of commercial carpet with black brushes and Host. I never saw any damage to a level loop. With that said, I think your zebra brushes, as they are half black, would be good enough for your use.

C

Carpet Dude

one thing comes to mind is that a rotary really is not cleaning to standard therefore if ever a dispute comes up, you might be at a lost as oppose to a pile lifting cylindrical brush action.

Derek

Supportive Member
Name
Derek
true David, thax :D

good point Rafael :!:

thanx --- Derek.

Jim England

CRB or Rotary

For those that have a CRB (gls) machine we have a new brush for them call our 500 grit brush. This brush is awesome on commercial as well as Berber and those nasty apartment carpets. These brushes will flat out clean any others. Ray Moody (Rambo) has nick named them the Berber bomber brushes. They are very aggressive and shouldn't be used on most residential carpets except Berber, kitchen carpet, and indoor outdoor type carpets. You will not believe what they will scrub and pull out of a carpet. The right brushes make all the difference.

They are not on our web site yet with the other brushes but, you can order them by contacting us at 269/441-8631 or email me at jamesengland@comcast.net.

The cost is $160.00 a set for the 15 inch machine and $180.00 for the 20 inch machine

Also check out our new tank-less Cobra spray system for the CRB (gls)machines
cost $350.00 on sale now for $295.00
You can see a video of it on our web site www.smart-cleaning-solutions.com then go to videos

Jim England
smart-cleaning-solutions.com

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom