Rotator cuff injuries?

Have you ever had rotator cuff problems due to cleaning?

• Total voters

hogjowl

Idiot™
In April's Cleanfax, there is an article titled "Risky Business" where a discussion of carpet cleaning related injuries is undertaken and then possible ways to avoid them is discussed. In this article, a statement is made related to rotator cuff injuries that "Insurance data suggests that these injuries ultimately affect more than 71 percent of carpet claners who work more than 10 years in the industry."

I have never had any rotator cuff problems as a result of cleaning and know of nobody who has. I have never seen it mentioned on the boards.

Do you have problems with it?

Ernie G

Not directly from cleaning, but from playing rac.ball and then because I don't clean every day, cleaning aggrevates my shoulder.

Jay D

Name
Jay D
My left shoulder hurts sometimes and I am right handed. But I just broke my rt wrist and can't wand rt hand for 4-6 weeks. hope my left shoulder and lt hand will make it threw my injury. :roll:

Brian R

Name
Brian Robison
My shoulders seem to be bad from weight lifting back in the day...before the wand.

Cleaning will bother it but my tennis elbow and ankle problems are way worse from cleaning.

Again, seeing my Chiropractor made all the difference in the world....almost immediately.

Walt

I've had some sports related problems with my rotator cuff. It hurt for a couple of years and was definitely worsened with over use from cleaning.

Now my rotator cuff is better than ever. What worked for me was a series of deep tissue massages on the shoulder only. 45 minute sessions that hurt like hell - about 4 of them. And then some stretching.

The fact that we don't here much about it on this board may be due to the fact that every one on this board has a glide.

Not sure what rotator cuff is? But I do have trouble with tennis elbow. Got a shot 3 weeks ago, it seems better. Doc has me on a brace/velcro for it. Tighten it up and seems to help. Wanted me to go for rehab, but the deductables for the service made me shy away. Ron

Johnny

Supportive Member
Name
Johnny
I've had bad tendonitis / tennis elbow in both arms for three years. Got much better when I switched from RXing every hwe job to a Greenhorn and a Brute op prescrub. Bearing went out on the Brute a couple weeks ago so I dusted off the RX. The RX really tore up my arms again (Yes, I know how to run a rotary). Brute is now repaired.

An RX is not the panacea for everyone with muscle and joint problems. For me, a glided wand is much less aggravating (and faster). I've also had much less back pain since switching from the RX to the Greenhorn about a year ago.

GOOGLE "BAND-IT" FOR THE MOST EFFECTIVE ARM, KNEE AND ANKLE BANDS! THESE THINGS REALLY WORK! (THEY HAVE RIGID PANELS.)

STOP GLOBAL COOLING!

Name
Nate W.
My pops invested in this dude's company. It was like a sports clinic or something like that. Anyhow, my pops told me that the equipment that guy uses, is the same as like the NFL players would have to use to get back back in the game a lot sooner. It helped speed up the recovery time of the injured player. My pops said it worked after he had his knees scoped.

Possibly something to look into. :)

Shane T

Name
Shane Tiegs
Yes I do but have never had it repaired. The Glide has been a life saver and now its not bad unless I have to work overhead or do alot of furniture cleaning.

steve frasier

Supportive Member
Name
steve frasier
right now I wish my elbow would fall off it hurts so f'in bad

have problems with both hands but that is more from arthritis

most of my problems are from playing sports for years

I am very thankful for wand glides and naproxen

hogjowl

Idiot™
The article speaks about lower back injuries, carpal tunnel problems and rotator cuff injuries. I have suffered from a bad back ever since I started. Weight lifting and then all the furniture moving in this industry caught up with me. However, once I got sliders and a lift buddy, I seldom have to worry about my back much anymore. I have carpal tunnel problems in both arms. Numb fingers and hands and pain up the arm. Never had a problem with this until I started using 2 inch wands and 2 inch hose. (If I could get the dry times I want with a 1.5 wand and whip hose I'd drop the 2 inch stuff in a heart beat!)

So far, no rotator cuff problems.

Able 1

Name
Keith
I shattered my elbow in a car accident year and a half ago 2 surgeries later here I am. Thankfully is my left and with the glide I don't use it much. I pushed it today I went 2.5 to the wand for just a one roomer and it hurt right after the job... but feels good now. The worst pain I have ever been in was a cracked pelvis... that aint no joke! My rotator cuff is good unless I sleep with my arms above my head. It seems the older I get the more susceptible I am to sleep related injuries. :lol:

Name
steve snail
I have carpal tunnel problems in both arms. Numb fingers and hands and pain up the arm.

MaRTY,

I used to have this problem. Saw one of those Medical minutes on the tv news one night. Had a doc telling people to stretch their hands out. Hold one hand out like signaling someone to stop, pull the tips of your fingers back with the other hand. Massage the palm of your hand with the thumb of the other. Worked for me.

Terry

Supportive Member
Name
Terry O'Brien
yes very minor and cant say it was from cleaning. About 6 weeks ago felt it a little on left shoulder and had trainer at the gym give me a routine for it. Most exercises involved an expandable jump rope (rubber) I do the routine 2 times a week and stretching daily and after a week it was fine.

Terry

KevinL

Supportive Member
Name
Kevin Leach
I've had surgery on both shoulders. Mostly from vacuuming when I was a janitor in a large office building. I've got tennis elbow on both sides and starting to get ct. I'll try the hand stretching exercises. Whip lines might be for hacks but they are also for the injured.

hogjowl

Idiot™
Ok ... I got the part about stretching your arm out and putting your hand in the stop position. I even managed to figure out how to pull my fingers back with my other hand to stretch the tendons in my forearm.

I can't figure out how to massage my palm with my thumb while in this position.

The Great Oz

Name
bryan
Quote:
I can't figure out how to massage my palm with my thumb while in this position.

Sorry,

The thumb massage is a separate exercise, no need to extend the arm with this one.

You blew the opportunity to have Marty doing all kinds of insane things.

Terry

Supportive Member
Name
Terry O'Brien
some of the guys here would like you to spin your hand around and stick it.......... :lol:

but seriously if you google Rotator cuff excercises youll find plenty to help.

Terry

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom