Roto Vac

lust1kiddo

Supportive Member
Guys I see all these youtube videos and crap for the rotovac, and it is super expensive. I do ok with my 100 psi porti, but sometimes I have to go over heavy traffic areas with the hand tool to get them super clean. I want to get better spray and suction but I cant be blowing fuses..how would you recommend I do this. Sometimes I blow them with my current machine..so I would think that if I got a stronger one it would happen more frequently. I am new to the business so I just need some help. Work has been really steady, and I am making good money, so thanks for all your advice on previous posts.

Jarred

Rotovac stuff is kind of Pricey....look for lightly used Rotovac equipment on ebay and craigslist...you can save thousands of dollars.

I got my used 360 with carpet and carpet brush head for $1300...28 lbs
I got my new duel cord CFX power pod from Rotovac for $1733...40 lbs...

If blowing breakers is a problem you can go with single cord CFX ...but it only sucks about half as hard as duel cord.

Best places to plug in extractor... washer plugin, kitchen plugin, bathroom plugin. You can plugin power wands in any room you are working...they only draw about 5 amps.

Rotovac original ...cleans great...but very slow.
Rotovac 360....cleans good... much faster than original.

Both power wands tend to be super soakers...adjust water flow and make "dry" passes.

Get a 175 rotary, or OP machine and scrub your prespray in...your carpet will be beautiful... :)

Ok...last thing...get or make a toolbox sized demand pump...6 lbs... like this

squirtbox001.jpg

squirtbox002.jpg

This one puts out 170 psi...approx..$300

juniorc82

Supportive Member
Name
Jon Coret
I fell into the rotovac thing years ago when i first started. I owned the original rotovac and found it to be impractical and realy a waste of time and money to use unless I was using it on a trashed cut pile carpet. I have found that a 175 rpm scrubber with either a brush or pas and sufficient heat and dwell time usualy does the trick. I remember when i was running a 100 psi porty, i cant believe i actualy got anything clean with it. If I was you I would look into getting a mytee m5 or a recoil xps. both machines give you awesome amounts of vacuum plus higher pressure and flow. with the added vacuum you can make dragin the porty up and down stairs a thing of the past since on both units you can run up to about 75 or 100 feet of hose. The recoil will have more suction because it has an additional vacuum motor but I think the m5 has auto fill and auto dump which is nice to have. Either way I gotta really recomend getting a stronger porty you will thank yourself in the long run, plus with a strong porty you can put the truck mount off for a while and just focus on learning the craft of how to clean properly( taking iicrc classes i highly recomend even though alot of the guys on here think they are too good to go and wont learn anything.). as far as blowing fuses get u a set of 220 adapters and that solves that issues.

Junior is right... that the M5 is a good choice if you don't mind lugging a 160 lb machine around....

You don't want any system that does not provide for continuous water and waste disposal...the closer you can get to continuous extraction and disposal the faster and more profitable you will be.

I can run 100' of 2' hose off my duel cord CFX...mostly I run 50'. If you really want light weigh and ease of use...50' of 1.5" hose works almost as good as 50' of 2"...with the CFX.

I really like...true "portability" in my portables... :wink:

carpetcleaner

Name
Rob Litwin
I have never used a RV 360. I do own the two head one. The RV/portable combo works very well if you don't mind long dry times. I cleaned with a Prochem portable and RV for my first few years cleaning. Not the fasted way to clean, but it did get the carpet very clean.

Name
John LaBarbera
juniorc82 said:
I fell into the rotovac thing years ago when i first started. I owned the original rotovac and found it to be impractical and realy a waste of time and money to use unless I was using it on a trashed cut pile carpet. I have found that a 175 rpm scrubber with either a brush or pas and sufficient heat and dwell time usualy does the trick. I remember when i was running a 100 psi porty, i cant believe i actualy got anything clean with it. If I was you I would look into getting a mytee m5 or a recoil xps. both machines give you awesome amounts of vacuum plus higher pressure and flow. with the added vacuum you can make dragin the porty up and down stairs a thing of the past since on both units you can run up to about 75 or 100 feet of hose. The recoil will have more suction because it has an additional vacuum motor but I think the m5 has auto fill and auto dump which is nice to have. Either way I gotta really recomend getting a stronger porty you will thank yourself in the long run, plus with a strong porty you can put the truck mount off for a while and just focus on learning the craft of how to clean properly( taking iicrc classes i highly recomend even though alot of the guys on here think they are too good to go and wont learn anything.). as far as blowing fuses get u a set of 220 adapters and that solves that issues.

You might also want to look at an Mytee 1005. Same vacs and pump as an M5 but a little smaller and less expensive. We are working on an optional auto pump out on the 1005 unit. More powerful machines like the the 1005 and M5 draw less amps per cord than most single cord machines. We also provide circuit locators for our dual cord machines. Mytee also makes a 230 volt dryer adapter that provides 2 twenty amp circuits.

Ron K

We have an old style Rotovac which we use primarily when the TM won;t reach. We now use it when doing boats at the yacht club. A 175 and a Porty does do an excellent job, get an Airpath to get em dry and you're in business.

lust1kiddo

Supportive Member
I will take a look at all of these different machines and models. The issue also is that I am in nyc so I need something small, and strong. I cant maneuver a big machine around these little apartments and stuff. Plus a lot of buildings don't have elevators.

rick imby

Name
Rick
The CFX dual three stage would be interesting in your situation because like Mr La Barb.. stated the dual three stage cords only draw around 11 or twelve amps each vs 18 amps on your current single cord extractor. Koblenz makes a buffer that is a lot lighter than most 175s. The 175s I have moved are a bitch up and down stairs because they come with tiny wheels and most of them do not have handles where the weight is. Even with two people moving the 175s they do not go up stairs easily. Mytee makes some but they are not made to move.

John La B. have you ever moved one of your 175s up three flights of stairs? By Yourself? Sorry to put you on the hot seat. Nobody else makes a 175 with real wheels on it either.

An idea is make some clamp on wheels to adapt your 175s to roll up stairs. A nice set of 16" wheels that are quick to mount and dismount would be awesome.

Rick

lust1kiddo said:
I will take a look at all of these different machines and models. The issue also is that I am in nyc so I need something small, and strong. I cant maneuver a big machine around these little apartments and stuff. Plus a lot of buildings don't have elevators.

Ok...The Rotovac CFX duel cord 3 stage vacs Power Pod is the extractor you need. Get a Rotovac 360i with carpet brush head...you can run it "dry" in order to scrub prespray in on traffic lanes....then extract.

360i with carpet brush head...28 lbs.
CFX power pod duel cord, 3 stage vacs...40 lbs.

This combo is by far the the lightest and most powerful that exists...at this time. You can use on site hot water, and waste is automatically pumped down the toilet.

SRI Cleaning

Name
Anthony Firmani
I have the original rotovac that I dont really use. I would sell it cheap if you decide to go that route. I bought it, tried it once and went back to the wand. In defense of the rotovac, it is a totally different feel and i am stubborn and didnt give it a chance. I kept telling myself I was going to bring it out and give it a shot again, but I never did and it sat for over 2 years. So I really cant give an opinion as to how well they clean.

Name
John LaBarbera
rick imby said:
The CFX dual three stage would be interesting in your situation because like Mr La Barb.. stated the dual three stage cords only draw around 11 or twelve amps each vs 18 amps on your current single cord extractor. Koblenz makes a buffer that is a lot lighter than most 175s. The 175s I have moved are a bitch up and down stairs because they come with tiny wheels and most of them do not have handles where the weight is. Even with two people moving the 175s they do not go up stairs easily. Mytee makes some but they are not made to move.

John La B. have you ever moved one of your 175s up three flights of stairs? By Yourself? Sorry to put you on the hot seat. Nobody else makes a 175 with real wheels on it either.

An idea is make some clamp on wheels to adapt your 175s to roll up stairs. A nice set of 16" wheels that are quick to mount and dismount would be awesome.

Rick

Hi Rick,

I never think of an objection or constructive criticism as putting me on the "hot seat". I want to make equipment that works for the PCC and is affordable. When it comes to floor machines some need the weight especially when cutting with diamonds. For scrubbing carpets I like a heavy duty machine for myself, but I agree they are heavy. For those who want a lighter machine, maybe a 12" of 15" orbital would work. Even putting larger wheels will not make it lighter, but it would perhaps make it easier to go up stairs.

="John LaBarbera"

Hi Rick,
I want to make equipment that works for the PCC and is affordable.

That is the best thing a manufacturer could want. I personally am impressed with Mytee and its fabulous array of products. They are powerful and well built.

That being said...there is a market for real "portability"...smaller and more powerful is better.

IMHO....Separate, Smaller, lighter, more Powerful components...is the future of Portables.... In the past...and largely in the present.... portable manufacturers ...seemed to be in a race to produce portable TM's....so they added more powerful components to "tank design" models that of course increased weight and a general lack of portability.

Mytee produces some of the best electical components in the industry...great vac motors, great pumps, etc.

Assemble those components into light weigh moduals..that represent the requirements of carpet extraction...water, heat, vac, disposal...

In fact Mytee...with the exception of a "tool box" sized pump, and a "tankless" extractor with automatic waste disposal...already does.

It would be nice if someone could produce a smaller OP machine with wheels, foldable... 15"...50 lbs...that had separate,stackable, add-on weight...to provide needed agitation....kind of a mini Hos Orbot.

In short ...a package...a women tech...could use...by her self... to clean carpet...

Light weight Power wand
Light weight powerful "Tankless" continuous extractor.
Portable Heat
Portable pump
Light weight OP/agitation machine with separate stackable weights to increase effectiveness.

This will all fit in the smallest of commercial vehicles.

I have achieved most of this ...with the exception of the Lightweight OP, I use a 85 lb Orbitec Defender... and the Portable heat...hint (turbo hot)....make me a deal... :lol: ...my carpets are beautiful.

randy

Name
Randy
Buy a CRB whittiker or Onyx and use it to prescrub , and offer encap cleaning with it to chase commercial accounts.

juniorc82

Supportive Member
Name
Jon Coret
I gotta say that the rotovac cfx isnt all that to thomas. What you gain in portability is lost by things like lack of a chemical injection, also what does your cfx do for you in a house that is winterized or the power and water is cut off? There are no silver bullets in this industry we do the best with what we have available to us(for most of us owner ops). I would like to also say that cylindrical brush machines are garbage. Get a 175 rpm scrubber. You cant beat all the applications a 175 can offer from brushes to bonnet pads from carpet to hard floor applications. I think a 175 should be a mandatory device for any porty operator. Oh ya I clean hardwood floors with my 175's good luck doing that with a whitiker or an op machine. dude get a good porty and a 175 you are not gonna beat that combination for your needs and price.

juniorc82 said:
I gotta say that the rotovac cfx isnt all that to thomas. What you gain in portability is lost by things like lack of a chemical injection, also what does your cfx do for you in a house that is winterized or the power and water is cut off? There are no silver bullets in this industry we do the best with what we have available to us(for most of us owner ops). I would like to also say that cylindrical brush machines are garbage. Get a 175 rpm scrubber. You cant beat all the applications a 175 can offer from brushes to bonnet pads from carpet to hard floor applications. I think a 175 should be a mandatory device for any porty operator. Oh ya I clean hardwood floors with my 175's good luck doing that with a whitiker or an op machine. dude get a good porty and a 175 you are not gonna beat that combination for your needs and price.

Lets review what the duel cord, CFX power pod, can do.

It sucks up waste water and continuously and automatically disposes of it.
It does this amazingly well...at 50' to 100'.
It continuously pumps waste water away at 6 gpm or 360 gals per hour.
It can accept 2" or 1 1/2" hose.
It can function as a Vac Booster/Waste Disposer by connecting 2" TM... or whatever hose... to its exhaust...which is designed for it.
It weighs 40 lbs...is 2' tall, 18" long, and 13" wide!!!

The CFX power pod is not all that...but as someone who owns one and uses it...its pretty damn close... :wink:

It does not have anything to do with supply water...only waste water.

Rotovac does provide you with every adapter to connect to house water...and the hoses to do it.

I solved my chemical injection problem by having Brevik build me a "tool box" sized 170 psi demand pump...which also solved my "pressure", sprayer, and potential lack of hook up in older buildings issues...it weighs approx 6 lbs.

In Washington... we get the PM or owner to turn on the water and power before we do the job..."dead" houses are not a big part of my business... :wink:

What do Porty operators in Missouri do when they don't have water and power???...haul buckets from the river and suck on the end of the hose... :lol: :lol: :lol:

Hey Jon...you got an auto fill and auto dump on that Recoil?... or are you part of the Bucket Brigade???... :wink:

Do you have to stop cleaning to fill or dump?

Continuous Flow Extraction....is faster.

The CFX could be improved...less taper in the top housing portion would allow replacing the high performance 5.7 vacs with high performance 7.2 vacs...adding only about 1.5 amps per leg...the impeller in the pumpout is made of hard rubber and is subject to wear...no problems so far...but its screw driver easy to replace impellers...and they give you extras.

I am looking for the tools that will give professional results and I want them to be as light and powerful...easy to store, deploy and repair ...as possible...light enough for a woman to use by herself. I have achieved that in my selections except for the the 85 lb Pad machine. BTW ..I clean hardwood floors with my Pad Machine...in fact I could refinish hardwood floors with my Ocillating Pad/"sanding" machine... :wink:

Really would like a folding, "baby" Hos Orbot, 15" (50lbs) with weight kit....

lust1kiddo

Supportive Member
This guy at the shop on long island who gave me a super heads up on all the rookie mistakes I have been doing showed me this portable little guy that was like 4 gallons and 60 or so psi. He said that since i almost never clean carpets it could work well for me. 90 % of my work is oriental/wool/persian rugs and upholstery. but can you get stuff clean with something so small like this? It was like the size of a small suitcase..

Thanks for all your help guys..I am learning alot and since I fried that couch..I am taking education seriously..lol.

Later boys,

Jarred

Ron Werner

Name
Ron Werner
Sounds like a spotting machine. You can use it for Uph but for carpets, you're going to be a while.
NOT the machine that you need.

I wouldn't go 100psi, 200 minimum. I was cleaning with a 150 Ninja the other day, took forever and I even prescrubbed with a Whittaker CRB.
If the pumpout is reliable enough, have a small recovery tank with the PO, an autofil in the freshwater tank, and need at least 300psi.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom