rotovac 360 gears and other questions

tracywalker

Name
Tracy
Just got a used 360 and the main drive gear is stripped out completely. Is this an easy fix? My uncle owns an electric motor company so if I can't fix myself I am going to take it to him. Also I have seen posted were there are upgrades for the tile head, and of course I will get with Greenie to get some new glides. Anything else I can do to improve? I also want to order the new cover that totally covers the cleaning head instead of the flat plate style will it fit?

prouddadx3

I am thinking about the 360. I have the older dual head model and really like it. What do you guys think of the 360? Better ?

Jeff Madsen

Supportive Member
Name
Jeff Madsen
I like my 360 a lot - I use it the majority of the time. You must get gg's for it, the existing stamped metal glides eat wood, crack ceramic and will distort the occasional POS freize. It takes some getting used to and is really designed for the residential market. If you're big into commercial, rentals, restaurants, etc. I'd go with the RX-20. I don't know a thing about the drive gear problem you're having - sorry.

Farenheit251

I believe there were motor problems when they were first out that rotovac fixed. You might want to call them.

miksar

Supportive Member
Name
Mike Fent
I use the 360 all the time, if there is electricity in the home. When I first got it I was using a porty, I wasn't impressed at all, the pw worked better with the porty. Then I got my 427 and it kicks butt, the cover is a must, otherwise you've got water all over the place. I did get the new tile and grout head, I've only used it once, wasn't impressed, still had to get the ole brush out. I've only used the 360 once on commercial cgd, got to experiment on a church, I just turned the speed down and it did great. I did have problems with my gears also, but that is because I dropped it one too many times, just remember when moving it from one area to another to unplug it or be aware how you pick the dang thing up. Rotovac only sells the motor assembly(that includes the gears), not cheap, but what is cheap in this business, $495. I've talked with the Rotovac guys several times, and they have been extremely helpful, especially the service department.

tracywalker

Name
Tracy
Thanks that is what I was afraid of not being able to just replace the gears. Oh well I got a great deal on it so I can't complain. Like you said nothing is cheap in this business.

Mike Draper

Actually, it's an easy fix and you don;t have to buy an entirely new motor. If you have any mechanical skills you can probably fix it yourself easily. I have done it a couple of times. basically you need to pull the motor off of the frame. Pull the bottom off and gear oil will come out 1/2 cup or so. you will then be able to see what gears are chewed up. Last time myne had a key way break. it was .90 cents at Fastenal for a new one. Badabing-badabang, put it back togethor and it was like new. If one of your gears is busted call and ask them for the new gear. If I can remember right there are only 3 in there. Much cheaper than spending $500 plus shipping. Just make sure you pay close attention to how everyhting goes togethor when you take it apart. Here are a couple of photo's and things to remember when fixing...

Pic#1
Rotovac-gears003.jpg

pic#2
RV-360shaft001.jpg

pic#3
RV-360shaft002.jpg

pic#1 shows the main shaft and the large gear. See the slot on the gear and on the shaft... this is for a small piece of metal called a key way. See myne is broken in half.
pic#2 When you pull the main shaft (pic3) apart from the gear box top(pic2) take the brass piece off first (pic3) or you will ruin the oil seal in gear box lid (pic2) and then have to replace it. if you look closely at pic 2 you can see I ruined the gasket. This is actually all pretty simple. if you have any questions you can call me evenings. send me a message and I'll give you my number.

Greenie

That right there is worth the $5 / mo.
Thanks Mike!
I talk to at least one guy a week that has a 360.
You are helping me help them.

tracywalker

Name
Tracy
Thanks Mike! I am taking it to my Uncles Electric motor shop today. If the gears are replaceable he can fix it. Thanks again!

Larry Cobb

Name
Larry Cobb
Tracy;

We have installed the improved round cover in place of old flat cover.

We have also modified the Tile & Grout head with some hi-impact jets for better Grout cleaning.

Larry

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom