Rotovac 360i VS HOSS 700

Name
Ezra Clark
I am going to be making a purchase soon. Anyone that has used both machines have any input on which is the way to go? Key points I am interested include:

ease of handling
durability of tool
damage to the carpet
water recovery
level of agitation
maintenance of tool
overall

Which one wins? Please, only those who have experience whith both machines.

Thanks,

Ezra

Mikey P

Administrator
ease of handling-RV
durability of tool-same so far
damage to the carpet- both can destroy seems but the HOSS with it's more powerful motor will eat weak carpet
water recovery-same imo
level of agitation -Hoss
maintenance of tool-same
overall- Hoss is less prone to streaking but cost $1000 more and is heavier but cleans faster due to it's wider head., RV is far more chimp friendly and appears to do a better job of digging out sand from deep within.

I like them both but I would keep the HOSS if it came down to one

Name
Ezra Clark
I've looked online, looks like it would be pretty big and bulky. I'm sure it does a comparable job though.

XTREME1

RIP
Name
Greg Crowley
I was the one who tested 360 vs hoss vs RX and you should do a search on it. I found the 360 worse at cleaning, RX bulky an dthe hoss a compromise but needed to adjust a few things which I think they have. All clean awesome I would say RX #1 in cleaning RV360 #1 in maneurvability and hoss #1 all around

Jim Martin

Supportive Member
Name
Jim Martin
Mr Clean Carpet said:
I am going to be making a purchase soon. Anyone that has used both machines have any input on which is the way to go? Key points I am interested include:

ease of handling

Hoss runs smother then the 360i or the RX....but if you don't know how to run a rotary...none of them are easy until you get the feel...
durability of tool

the only problem with the Hoss was the water feed tube..I am pretty sure that it has been determined that when it it threaded it is cut to deep and makes it a weak point on the rod...aside from that it is built like the RX..they are both tanks...the longgivity of the 360i is still in question...
damage to the carpet

all will damage carpet if you don't know what to look for or learn to plant them flat....
water recovery

I ran the RX...360i...and the Hoss...the Hoss has the best recovery of all 3....
level of agitation

they are all the same....
maintenance of tool

felt rings to deal with on the RX and the 360i...nothing on the Hoss........
Which one wins? Please, only those who have experience whith both machines.

Hoss is the best one out there....you will move faster and get more production from it...the key with this machine is to balance it to your equipment by using the spray bars and the orfice disk....once you get that sweet spot you are set.....

Thanks,

Ezra

jwfoulk12

Name
Justin Foulk
Package deal?

Thinking about picking up a Hoss and a multi sprayer. Anybody wanna give me a package deal?

dealtimeman

Everyday is Saturday.
Name
Michael
Personally I use the rv 360i and a buddy of mine uses the hoss. We ware always trying to convert each other to our preference of tool. I'm sure you will be happy with either good luck.

I agree, both tools are good at certain uses. There is no such thing as a perfect all in one tool, yet.

Jim Martin

Supportive Member
Name
Jim Martin
I agree, both tools are good at certain uses. There is no such thing as a perfect all in one tool, yet.

Guess you haven't figured out how to use the Hoss then.......right set up for your equipment and someone who knows how to use it.....you won't come any closer...

dealtimeman

Everyday is Saturday.
Name
Michael
I by no means think the hoss is anywhere close to perfect, it is a good machine but not a silver bullet by any means. There has to be a reason for cleaners to sell them just like there is a reason for cleaner to buy rotovacs the get rid of them.

Guys get on these boards and see and read of other guys that like a particular unit and it seems like it is the tool to get, only to find out it is not the kind of tool they like use or need. I like the rotovac for certain jobs but it as well is not a perfect tool and has its own draw backs.

One guys perfect tool is another guys nightmare.

Jim Martin

Supportive Member
Name
Jim Martin
Rotaries are normally the first thing that end up on eBay or Craigslist........most don't understand them.....know how to operate them....have the wrong set up..and know nothing about how to balance them with there equipment.....so a large percentage of the time....it is not the tool but the operator....

IF people took the time...set them up right....used them daily...and get use to how they preform...it would be a different story....but that is not how we are wired....

we take it out of the box thinking that it is going to be a silver bullet to all our problems....throw it on the floor...pull the trigger...toss our self across the room...and flood everything on the way....call it a piece of crap and get rid of it.....

just the way the world turns in the CC industry..................

Name
Doug
Guess you haven't figured out how to use the Hoss then.......right set up for your equipment and someone who knows how to use it.....you won't come any closer...

I am a non professional, but I was very curious to know what issues are important to "balance them with their equipment" and for the "right set up for your equipment"? Thanks if you can clarify a bit for a novice.

Last edited:

Shorty

RIP
Name
Shorty Glanville
I am a non professional, but I was very curious to know what issues are important to "balance them with their equipment" and for the "right set up for your equipment"? Thanks if you can clarify a bit for a novice.

If you are truly a novice, then I would suggest a donkey instead of a Hoss, they move slower and are more manageable, although they can be stubborn at times.

Your other question can be put down to length of run, speed and air flow to get the best out of your size equipment, which, in reality, can also equate to balancing of the equipment being used.

Something like if you had to move twenty tons of fertilizer from New York to Los Angeles, you would use a large truck rather than a car and trailer.

Hope this helps,

Shorty.

Mikey P

Administrator
Best in what way Cu?

Took less passes to clean and dry?
Do you own a 4 port 360i, I find it really does clean 24.7% faster. Did you really use the HOSS long enough to have a firm opinion? Did you mess with the HOSS's flow or spray bars? Doing so makes a big diff.

Quality of construction?
Your beta model can be counted on for true longevity reports.

Cost?

Easy of use/balance compared to the other 3 options?

Durability-too soon to tell

Mikey P

Administrator
lol now it's your avatar..

maybe you and Jim Martin can have a foursome at M9F up on stage :eekk:

we'll put some donkey ears and a tails on the units and charge admission.

so when you hack out your $45 apartments do you take the time to REX them?

cu

Supportive Member
Name
Cu
I was thinking it would be fun to put the trex as me avatar

and yep iv hacked out a lot of apartments with it , i have about 150 pics of the trex working out and about 10 videos

lol now it's your avatar..

maybe you and Jim Martin can have a foursome at M9F up on stage :eekk:

we'll put some donkey ears and a tails on the units and charge admission.

so when you hack out your $45 apartments do you take the time to REX them?

Reactions: John LaBarbera

cu

Supportive Member
Name
Cu
My dry times avg 1.5 to 2hrs using the T-rex , on some jobs i will do extra dry passes . but im not using air movers to get them dry times.
I dont know about 24.7% faster using any roto machine. But i do see the results and IF i need to slow down a bit to do a much better job then i will. We charge .45 a sqft and our custys want to see top quilty results at that price
and we are booked out about a week and a 1/2 on res cleaning

I had the hoss for 2 maybe 3 weeks , i didnt have extra spray bars to paly with ...so no, i didnt get to play with it in that way ..i played with it the way it came out of the box..Same as i did the first 2 weeks with the T-rex. It was only after Connections i started to play and tweak the T-rex
The price of the hoss did not enter into it either as i could have got the hoss at cost from Ray at the time

i have a 360 we use it with a brush head on it ,as we use it most on trashed apts . with the 4 port we where not getting the results we needed

On Quality of construction.

my rotovac has gone through 4 cleaning heads 1x 3port 1 x 4 port and 2 brush heads , has been welded in 4 different places, a couple of gears ,on second motor and 2 switches
but it does get a lot of use/abuse

on the hoss i dont think i broke anything ...
On the T-rex John REALLY wanted to know how it held up to abuse in 3 areas, the cleaning head, the boom and the handle /speed control
He did,nt want me to drop in down the stairs, but he did want to know about any weak points

Cost
Imho
the rotovac is at a fair price, the Rx 20 even for a tank is over priced, the Hoss at full price is over priced..If John stays at 2500 for the T-Rex. It is the best Value of all of them. And could be at the same price as the hoss

Easy of use
T-Rex .... as easy as the rotovac...even Marty could use it
For a much bigger unit the T-Rex is as easy to carry up to the 3 floor as the rotovac.... balance wise... but it is a few lbs more to carry
I aint taking Hoss past the second floor ....and the Rx..First floor only baby

Durabilty
I hit the cleaning head Cover a few times with a hammer in front of Joe Appleby last week ..with no problem
you can strip the cleaning head down and clean every part to make sure your doing the best cleaning job you can with it
there are a few things you can tweak to suit your style of cleaning or to suit the type of job your doing that only takes 5 mins

I would have no problem in buying a 2nd and 3rd T-rex for the 2nd truck and hopfully a 3rd truck next year

And yes the cleaning results are great across all different types of carpet..Just set the speed and flow to suit your needs

QUOTE=Mikey P;4180759]Best in what way Cu?

Took less passes to clean and dry?
Do you own a 4 port 360i, I find it really does clean 24.7% faster. Did you really use the HOSS long enough to have a firm opinion? Did you mess with the HOSS's flow or spray bars? Doing so makes a big diff.

Quality of construction?
Your beta model can be counted on for true longevity reports.

Cost?

Easy of use/balance compared to the other 3 options?

Durability-too soon to tell[/QUOTE]

Reactions: John LaBarbera

floorguy

Supportive Member
Name
Doug
can we see some pics and videos??? or do you have them on yor own youtuber acct?>??

SamIam

Name
sam miller
Rotaries are normally the first thing that end up on eBay or Craigslist........most don't understand them.....know how to operate them....have the wrong set up..and know nothing about how to balance them with there equipment.....so a large percentage of the time....it is not the tool but the operator....

IF people took the time...set them up right....used them daily...and get use to how they preform...it would be a different story....but that is not how we are wired....

we take it out of the box thinking that it is going to be a silver bullet to all our problems....throw it on the floor...pull the trigger...toss our self across the room...and flood everything on the way....call it a piece of crap and get rid of it.....

just the way the world turns in the CC industry..................

After spending 2 to 3 grand you would think we wouldn't have to be tinkerbell to get right! My complaint and I haven't tried a 360i is they don't cause less fatigue rx20 rotary drimaster maybe cause they take longer.

Running my 175 doesn't bother me except pulling it and putting it away. Rx20 even with glides gets tiring. But it does dig baby.

Jim Martin

Supportive Member
Name
Jim Martin
After spending 2 to 3 grand you would think we wouldn't have to be tinkerbell to get right! My complaint and I haven't tried a 360i is they don't cause less fatigue rx20 rotary drimaster maybe cause they take longer.

Running my 175 doesn't bother me except pulling it and putting it away. Rx20 even with glides gets tiring. But it does dig baby.

Not all machines run the same...so if your not "tinkerbelling" them to balance with your equipment...then you are shooting your self in the foot and wasting your money.....no different then spending money on a wand then ..."tinkerbelling" the jets to get the flow you want...and then adding a glide.....

kg

Name
kristian garcia
I have had really good results with the 360 over all. One concern of mine with the 360 is noticeable swirl marks after the cleaning.Some carpets showing more than others.Mixed reviews from customers concerning marks. That's after I have already raked out.In regards to cleaning performance great results.To piggy back of your question...any good tips on what to do in regards to swirl marks to make them less visible?

jmo

Supportive Member
Name
Jeremy
I don't like how tall the motor is on the trex, maybe in open areas its great but in most homes are like an obstacle course.

Back
Top Bottom