rough 2 days with both trucks..

davegillfishing

Supportive Member
Name
dave gill
first frank was on his job yesterday (monday) and after cleaning the master bath and 1/2 master carpet his drive belts broke (it is a 07 butler) the ones under the hood..so i called the dealership we use and got him in there fast..after some wasted time on the phone with butler looking for routing info they got it all fixed up. the mechanic went looking for the reason and found the driveshaft bolts loose (the ones in the dog house). that pissed frank off because he checks all his nuts and bolts every 3 months or so. the mechanic locktited them and off he went back to work.
about 6 hrs later mine broke 1/2 way through my last job, same problem with the loose bolts same fix just at 7am this morning (tues). i go to my first job and 3/4 of the way done the blower belt blows, that sucks but i still have 1 and can finish the job then go to grainger and get a replacement. (frank had all my belts from yesterday trying to see what one fit his truck) well about 10 mins after the first one broke the 2nd one went..so off we went to get the new belts and back to the customers house to finish the job..then off to yesterdays job to finish it up...lots of driving and apologizing today..moral of the story..change all the belts once a year no matter what. and keep spares on the truck.
tomorrow is another day, my fingers are crossed.
dave

Mike Draper

my 2000 butler still has the original (inside van) belts on. only 2000 hours on the truck though, and I put on most of those. I carry extra belts and tools on the truck. I think almost any parts store will carry the "gates" belts though. Pretty generic. My lift is set at 15.

Rex Tyus

Mikeyxj8 said:
my 2000 butler still has the original (inside van) belts on. only 2000 hours on the truck though, and I put on most of those. I carry extra belts and tools on the truck. I think almost any parts store will carry the "gates" belts though. Pretty generic. My lift is set at 15.

That is impressive. If I got 2000 hours out of a set of belts I would keep them as a trophy. But I am sure the heat down here plays a roll.

Greenie said:
Belts easy...couplers...yuck.

That is the truth. I had a coupler work loose today and scared the hell out of me. The whole time I was removing the screws to realign I was thinking what a pain in the ass it would be if that screw stripped out or broke off. I have been pushing my rig too hard this season with out the proper tlc. If I can make it one more week it will be getting lots of pampering.

TimP

I'm coming up on 900 hours. So far everything seems good except I hear a squeeking noise after running the machine about 30 minutes, sounds like a bearing to me. All my belts are tight and fine of course so I know it's not the belts squeeking. I'm thinking one of the bearings under the blower that connects to the pto shaft is probably going to go out or something. I just hope when it finally does go it's not something major.....huge fear. I've changed the blower oil like 3-4 times just cause I freak about every noise.....

Rex Tyus

TimP said:
I'm coming up on 900 hours. So far everything seems good except I hear a squeeking noise after running the machine about 30 minutes, sounds like a bearing to me. All my belts are tight and fine of course so I know it's not the belts squeeking. I'm thinking one of the bearings under the blower that connects to the pto shaft is probably going to go out or something. I just hope when it finally does go it's not something major.....huge fear. I've changed the blower oil like 3-4 times just cause I freak about every noise.....

Tim, as many HM CDSs that are out there I would bet someone here would have a tip for you. Have you change the serpentine belt on your van yet? Bearing don't normally squeak they roar or grind. At least the bearing I have had issue with. Now clutches can squeak :(

TimP

I haven't changed any belts. The sound doesn't come from under the hood. I notice the sound coming from what appears to be near the blower. It's very hard to lube the bearings under the blower that go to the belt behind the blower. And I didn't lube them till way after 600 hours. I'm thinking there may be some damage....but there is nothing in the manual about any maintanance with them. So I didn't do it, plus I couldn't see the fitings, the only reason I found out is cause I had the blower belt tightened and the guy said he lubed them. So I'm at a loss. I'm almost at the point where I'm going to wait till it goes out or gets worse, or just becomes a characteristic of the machine, cause it's the only way I'll figure it out at this point.

Thanks Dave, Called Butler this morning, ordered all the belts. They said replace at 500 hours on some, longer on others, inspect them weekly is important, replacing once a year is fine with me. Solution lines and belts once a year, even I can remember this. I Really appreciate the heads up on the maintenance issues. Turning wrenches doesn't come easy for me. But I am learning, but at a very slow pace. Ron

davegillfishing

Supportive Member
Name
dave gill
no problem..i am a maint freak and am kinda pissed at myself for not keeping on top of my belts..it has been running like a champ and all is good on the home front..
dave

i have 980 hrs on my truck and frank had about 500 hrs on his..

Art Kelley

Supportive Member
Name
Rainbow Carpet And Upholstery Cleaning
ronald pantelas said:
Thanks Dave, Called Butler this morning, ordered all the belts. They said replace at 500 hours on some, longer on others, inspect them weekly is important, replacing once a year is fine with me. Solution lines and belts once a year, even I can remember this. I Really appreciate the heads up on the maintenance issues. Turning wrenches doesn't come easy for me. But I am learning, but at a very slow pace. Ron

Man o man. For all the crap I hear about how great Butlers are and how bad White Magics are, I haven't even thought about the belts or anything else on my Pro 1200. My 2003 has been problem free after 5000 hours. The Chevy Express that powers the PTO has needed some servicing, but not the cleaning machine. Loose bolts, bad belts... is Butler a UAW factory?

KevinL

Supportive Member
Name
Kevin Leach
I was thinking the same Art, I don't do crap in maint. on my 2003 pro1200 and it runs pretty hard. NO Problems.

GRHeacock

With my CDS, when a belt began to slip or squeak, that's the time to replace it.

Then, the SAME day, get new replacement belts and keep them in the truck, to avoid having to leave the job, get belts put them on, and go back to finish the job.

Putting a belt dressing on them occasionally helps them to keep their grip.

Gary

davegillfishing

Supportive Member
Name
dave gill
Art Kelley said:
[quote="ronald pantelas":eek:zq4izfo]Thanks Dave, Called Butler this morning, ordered all the belts. They said replace at 500 hours on some, longer on others, inspect them weekly is important, replacing once a year is fine with me. Solution lines and belts once a year, even I can remember this. I Really appreciate the heads up on the maintenance issues. Turning wrenches doesn't come easy for me. But I am learning, but at a very slow pace. Ron

Man o man. For all the crap I hear about how great Butlers are and how bad White Magics are, I haven't even thought about the belts or anything else on my Pro 1200. My 2003 has been problem free after 5000 hours. The Chevy Express that powers the PTO has needed some servicing, but not the cleaning machine. Loose bolts, bad belts... is Butler a UAW factory?[/quote:eek:zq4izfo]

i dont think having to spend 15 mins changing a few belts is that big of a deal. i have almost 1k hrs on the maching in 1 year with not one problem..pegs the temp gauge every time and asks for more..
if someone offered to give me a different unit i would take it, sell it and go buy another butler..no hesitation or 2nd thought about it..this being my 2nd butler then we have frqanks in the company as well i see that they are awesome machines. with a little tweaking here and there you cant go wrong..
dave

Rex Tyus

Art Kelley said:
[quote="ronald pantelas":3rogobzy]Thanks Dave, Called Butler this morning, ordered all the belts. They said replace at 500 hours on some, longer on others, inspect them weekly is important, replacing once a year is fine with me. Solution lines and belts once a year, even I can remember this. I Really appreciate the heads up on the maintenance issues. Turning wrenches doesn't come easy for me. But I am learning, but at a very slow pace. Ron

Man o man. For all the crap I hear about how great Butlers are and how bad White Magics are, I haven't even thought about the belts or anything else on my Pro 1200. My 2003 has been problem free after 5000 hours. The Chevy Express that powers the PTO has needed some servicing, but not the cleaning machine. Loose bolts, bad belts... is Butler a UAW factory?[/quote:3rogobzy]
Am I reading this right? You have not changed or even adjusted the belts for 5000 hours? Holy shit what kind are they? Or how slow does the WM blower turn?

Art Kelley

Supportive Member
Name
Not bad,eh? Once a month I will grease the blower, that's the only time I monkey with the inside of the housing. The blower turns at about 1500 rpms, but lately (the last 3 months) I've been experimenting with 1900 to 2000 rpms, and get maybe 20 more degrees heat, somewhere around 250. Does wonders for the fuel bill.

Rex Tyus

Art Kelley said:
Not bad,eh? Once a month I will grease the blower, that's the only time I monkey with the inside of the housing. The blower turns at about 1500 rpms, but lately (the last 3 months) I've been experimenting with 1900 to 2000 rpms, and get maybe 20 more degrees heat, somewhere around 250. Does wonders for the fuel bill.

Your blower turns at 1500 rpms or the van engine? You know the clutch flywheel and pulleys have a net effect on the actual blower speed right?

Seriously, what kind of belts are on the thing. 5000 hrs is f'n amazing. I didn't get that when I was running Bane units.

Art Kelley

Supportive Member
Name
p.s. the pump belts are Gates Green Stripe and the blower belts are Goodyear Matchmaker.

Art Kelley

Supportive Member
Name
[
"Your blower turns at 1500 rpms or the van engine? You know the clutch flywheel and pulleys have a net effect on the actual blower speed right?"

I can only tell you the reading on the machine tachometer. I actually don't know what it means other than giving me general performance data.

]

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni
Art Kelley said:
I've been experimenting with 1900 to 2000 rpms, and get maybe 20 more degrees heat, somewhere around 250.

Art, what kind of HX is on your 1200, that you get 250 temps??

..L.T.A.

Rex Tyus

meAt said:
Art Kelley said:
I've been experimenting with 1900 to 2000 rpms, and get maybe 20 more degrees heat, somewhere around 250.

Art, what kind of HX is on your 1200, that you get 250 temps??

..L.T.A.

When you choke down a 56 blower with a single 2.5" intake from port to tank you can get it to heat up pretty good. :wink:

It is construction like this that gave dual wanding with a 56 a bad name.

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni
Rex Tyus said:
When you choke down a 56 blower with a single 2.5" intake from port to tank you can get it to heat up pretty good. :wink:

help me out, Rex.
I know 45 blowers are 2.5" in and out
47s are 3"
I think the 6008 is 4"
what are the 56s and 59s?

(oh yea, thanks Art)

..L.T.A.

Rex Tyus

The 56 is 4" I assume the 59 is as well. I think I read somewhere the 68 is a 5". But that I don't know for sure.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom