Royal vacuum

Onfire_02_01

Name
Jeremy Gray
i am having a problem with the height adjustment on my royal vacuum. I will set the height with the screw knob on the back and by the time I am done vacuuming a room I have to readjust the head back down.
Is there a fix for this?

Russ T.

Supportive Member
Name
Russ Terhaar
He must be using the 18" model.

It screws up and down. There's a little vacuum relief nipple that pushes in when making contact with the carpet.

Reactions: Mikey P

shadygrady

Name
Rob Grady
I have been using Royal vacuums since 1978. I bought a brand new shiny one about three years ago. It does the same as you described. When I phoned the shop where it was purchased to get a fix for this problem, the owner was very discouraged by the new Royals...made offshore now.
The new models differ from the original design thru the use of a pin instead of the threaded adjustment screw on the originals. I have a few parts for the ogs kicking around and will modify the housing to accept the infinitely variable screw. the one precision move will be to drill a small pilot hole to accept the retainer spring that winds onto the og adjustment screw.
Worst case ontario would be to keep using the older model and polish up the new shiny chrome one to dazzle the
herd.

Reactions: Russ T.

Onfire_02_01

Name
Jeremy Gray
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

dgardner

Name
Dan Gardner
Take off the spring and find a nut to fit the threads. Adjust the knob where you want it and gently snug the nut down against the vacuum housing. This is called a jam nut. The only downside is you need a wrench (small pocket crescent would do) to re-adjust.

Replacing the knob may help, but may not if the threads in the housing are worn too.

Usually real jam nuts are thin, but a regular nut will work fine unless it's height prevents you from screwing the handle down as far as you want.

JamNut.jpg

Last edited:

shadygrady

Name
Rob Grady
It won't be easy finding a new adjuster, I believe Mikey has a Royal in need of that part also, if I remember correctly. I may have one kicking around my parts collection.

shadygrady

Name
Rob Grady
Carefully unthread the spring and insert it into the body as far as it will go, then thread the adjuster in. I don't know ifthat would help, but on my old one, the spring is fully engaged.

Mikey P

Administrator
It won't be easy finding a new adjuster, I believe Mikey has a Royal in need of that part also, if I remember correctly. I may have one kicking around my parts collection.

Right one of my 12" has a eyelet screw that I put in to eeplace the missung foot adjustee.

It doesn't vibrate loose.
Try another screw or wrap some teflon tape around the threads.

Last edited:

Onfire_02_01

Name
Jeremy Gray
Yeah I thought, if I was drunk what would that sound like, then I was able to understand what Mikey said. :biggrin:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom