Rubbing alcohol on WOOL???

Rescue

A friend of mine had a urine stain on her Wool carpet. She decided to put 70% Rubbing alcohol on it, and the color turned a darker brown. I was not sure how to answer the question, so I told her I would research it. What do you think?

Also, what products do you suggest using to handle petroleum and water soluble spots on wool carpets?

Joe

Jack May

That Kiwi
Name
John
Hey Joe,

I honestly can't see how that would affect the colour of the stain/carpet.

Unless as Mikey said, there was such a quantity of soil in the carpet that she did indeed to it to mud...

On the spotting, for your oily spots, just a good VDS or NVDS followed by a VDS for heavier oils. Allow to dry/evaporate with good ventilation and then if necessary flush out with a good detergent that is ok for use on wool. Neutralise with a mild conditioning rinse.

For the water soluable spots, any wool approved spotter will be fine, but I honestly use Releasit DS for most of my spotting and I mainly clean wool carpets. Great product and even for very light oil spots, you may get away with just this step.

John

Rescue

So rubbing alcohol would not change the color of the wool carpet. So I guess I could try to go in there and clean it out like I would with any urine stain.

vacuum,
rinse first
prespray with a Urine product and agitate
then water claw it?

ruff

Name
Ofer Kolton
rubbibg alcohol on wool

Joseph:
What was the backing of the wool carpet? Many times both tufted and woven wool carpet's and rugs' backing is jute.

If it is jute, the urine deteriorated the jute and the water in the rubbing alcohol caused it to release the lignin dye which is brown.
If that is the case more rinsing will cause even more browning and you will need to correct the browning. Bear in mind that w ool does not like strong acids (browning treatment has some strong acids.) You might be better off with some Haitian cotton cleaners. Also if it is browning, laying the rug upside down might help as it will wick to the upper side (in this case the backing.)
Another way may be just Bonneting to avoid over wetting.

It could also be that the urine attacked the dye and caused the rug to release it's own dye.
Good luck
Ofer

Back
Top Bottom