Rug ID - Bleeding everywhere!

Jeff Madsen

Supportive Member
Name
Jeff Madsen
Here's a rug that came to me from a lady who lives in Arizona but her folks live in Omaha, Ne. She bought this rug at an estate sale (for not much). It had been sitting in a garage in Omaha for years - the reds and oranges have run and the rug looks like it has enough dye for four rugs.

I'd love to know where it's from. My plan of attack is to treat it with a dye-set and wash it until it stops bleeding, then follow with a reducer to strip out where it's already bled, then dry it face down as fast as I possibly can. Any thoughts for me?
View attachment 941

View attachment 942

View attachment 943

Last edited:

rhyde

Name
rhyde
It's from southern Iran, in the trade they are refereed to as Shiraz rugs there are several tribal groups that make these most notably the qashqai.

Sometimes nothing will set the color, the wefts can bleed with these too since there's already color run i'd assume it's been washed before.
Once in a while you can get one that shrinks bad in washing as bad as some Afghan rugs and they will never lay flat again. Getting as much water out as possible and drying fast IMO is key with these.

Harry Myers

Name
Harry Myers
Looks like it is inked, From that backing. Also I don't think I would use a dye set . Did you test to see if you can take a towel dry and get a transfer.

T Monahan

Supportive Member
Name
Tom Monahan
Take it to someone that knows how to strip wash. If you need help locating someone, private message me.

Jeff Madsen

Supportive Member
Name
Jeff Madsen
There's some very very faint crocking of the red - I don't see ink. Portions of the weft yarns look pink, the other half not. She sure looks dangerous and exciting! Client has been advised it's likely a complete loss.

View attachment 944

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom