Rug ID/Info help

Name
Brad Gouveia
I got this rug that I am cleaning for this lady, it was her moms and she dies so now she is trying to find out more about it. So please tell me what you can so I can relay to her. Also how much you think it may be worth. I have not measured it yet but I am thinking it is 10x12,

Thanks

IMG_2499.JPG
IMG_2501.JPG
IMG_2500.JPG
IMG_2502.JPG

cleanking

Name
Jordan King
Looks like a modern Pakistan rug with a Persian design. Retail these can be a few thousand. Resale may only be 10-15% of retail.

Tom Forsythe

It has a depressed warp, probably Persian knot. If you fold it over in your hands look for a corn row look. If you see that it is a Turkish knot. Colors are from the 1980's and 1990's. It has a Persian design but appears to be too coarse to be Pakistani. My first thought was Romanian. If the back is rough then that is a characteristic of Romanian. I handled thousands of rugs over the years and the only time my arms turned red from rug abrasion was when I handled a truckload of Romanian rugs. Rug prices have fallen off a cliff (not good news for rug washers)so I do not want to say anything about values as I am not currently plugged into the market. It looks like it is in good shape and looks like it could be used for another 50 years.

Reactions: J Scott W

cleanking

Name
Jordan King
It's a modern Pakistan Peshawar (possibly made in India, but consistent with rugs coming out of Peshewar). Multiple side cords, not typical of most Romanian rugs. Colors are somewhat muted, like most Peshewar rugs. Pile looks to be clipped short, unlike most Romanian rugs. It is not more than 10-15 years old, the fringe is short, uncommon on rugs pre-2000's, even more uncommon on Romanian rugs. Romanian rugs will be some of the most uncommon rugs encountered in the cleaning business as they are not producing many if any rugs anymore and it's been that way since the early 90's.

Google Pakistan Peshewar Rug and see the similarities for yourself.

This rug would retail for about $35-40/sq ft. Again, resale would be tough to fetch $750-$1000 at an auction.

Tom you say the wool is too course for Paki, and you'd be right if it was trying to be a true 80's-90's Pak-Persian, but the course-ness and weave are consistent with a modern Paki Peshawar.

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
Pretty fugly rug, I don't care for the colors.

I see fewer and fewer oriental rugs in upscale homes now days. Only the oldies have them, I believe its becoming a dated look. There are so many options with custom rugs that make matching interior deor much easier.

Have them donate that old dog, they can probably claim more in value than they can sell it for. :errf:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom