RUG ID

bensurdi

Name
Benjamin Surdi
What type of rugs are these and how would you clean them step by step?

Would you vacuum, spray with hose, spray with fine fabric pre-spray, agitate, hose off cleaner, clean fringe, and then squeeze the water out.

Or would you do another process?

IMG_0299.jpg

IMG_0300.jpg

IMG_0301.jpg

IMG_0302.jpg

Name
I'm Rick James
They are wool.

Check for color bleeding-if so dye loc
prevac both sides. Wool can hold alot of soil. Rug badger it and you will see.
pretreat
agitate
HWE
Groom
dry

Fringes
prevac
hand clean Fringe with shampoo-bleach if they are bad-only the white ones :wink:
HWE with uph tool
dry-they may brown

Clean both sides, wool absorbs alot of water so dry dry dry.

Are you cleaning them in home or at your place?

What did you charge?

If you get into inplant rug cleaning you gotta get a rug badger, drying rack, scrubber.

Name
I'm Rick James
rhyde said:
I'd send them to DA Burns

Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime.

These are easy rugs to clean, he doesnt need to sub out.

Harry Myers

Name
Harry Myers
Personally HWE is not cleaning these rugs. If you are not immersing these rugs than, they are not clean. Anyone can HWE a rug but is it a proper Oriental rug cleaning method no.

Ben I read on another post you wrote 1 rug is wool and silk. You were asking I believe on the ICS board .Which rug in the pictures contains silk.

Name
I'm Rick James
I am putting my money that the 3rd rug down is the wool/silk. I would say 90% on this BB dont immerse the rugs to clean them. Do the best you can with what you got.

rhyde

Name
rhyde
Since you pitched subbing them out to you does this mean you want him to starve? :)

Yep fairly easy to extract but it sounded like he wants to wash these? I know nothing about Ben but asking how to wash a rug step by step not surface clean and that makes me think he has no or little experience washing rugs and experimenting on client’s rugs isn’t the best way to start…. A class is helpful

Name
I'm Rick James
rhyde said:
Since you pitched subbing them out to you does this mean you want him to starve? :)

Yep fairly easy to extract but it sounded like he wants to wash these? I know nothing about Ben but asking how to wash a rug step by step not surface clean and that makes me think he has no or little experience washing rugs and experimenting on client’s rugs isn’t the best way to start…. A class is helpful

I talked to ben. He is not set up with a wash pit. He is doing the typical TM extract on a hard surface. He has talked about setting up a full wash pit later in the year. I was kidding about subbing these rugs, its something he can do with a little help. He is going to do the best he can with what he has.

Jose Smith

I'm sorry but I just had to chime in here.

If someone does not have the set up to properly clean rugs, then perhaps they should not attempt to clean rugs.

Why would people suggest an inferior cleaning method that won't work as well, and actually could be damaging?

Jose Smith

bensurdi

Name
Benjamin Surdi
I may be wrong.. but you can clean a rug on the concrete floor of your garage just like you can clean it in a "rug pit".

My steps currently include.

1. Hang and beat ( like they did in the olden days before the badger ) to dust the rug.
2. Vacuum the rug to remove as much dry soil as possible
3. Hose down the rug with a medium pressure gun making sure all areas of the rug are wet.
4. Pour my rug cleaning shampoo mix onto the carpet
5. Take a mechanical or manual agitation to the rug making sure to really work in the shampoo
6. Let that sit for 10-15 minutes
7. Take higher pressure water solution and spray the rug down while using a "squegee" method to push the water out of the rug.
8. Clean the fringe
9. Spray down the fringe to rinse the cleaner from it.
10. Take pile rake and make sure all the pile is properly lifted to prevent un-natural rug patterns
11. Hang dry or dry on the floor with turbo dryers
12. After rug is dry I will vacuume once again to make sure all the dust is removed prior to wrapping it up for delivery.

Does this sound like a poor process or setup? If it does I will gladly take any contructive critisim or advice.

sweendogg

Name
David Sweeney
That sounds pretty good and add a few suggestions. Make sure you are dye testing everything and be prepared to extract quickly if you start to see color bleed.. cold water only no hot water... unless they are filthy beyond all recognition, limit your self to the fine fabric prespray as your only soap. Use only the amont of cleaning solution needed to get the job done. That way, it will be easier to rinse out compltely and less chance of residue. Watch your pressure and keep your pressure wand moving to prevent texture distortion.

If you can give us a picture of each rug at the back corner so we can see the edge, fringe and knot construction, we could give you some id's.

If any of those rugs do have any pet issues, you will have a long hard day to remove all the urine on a wash floor though compared to a pit.

Name
I'm Rick James
Jose Smith said:
I'm sorry but I just had to chime in here.

If someone does not have the set up to properly clean rugs, then perhaps they should not attempt to clean rugs.

Why would people suggest an inferior cleaning method that won't work as well, and actually could be damaging?

Jose Smith

There are very few wash pits here in seattle. Even fewer BB users have them. It would be nice to have the pit and all that goes with it. In reality few ever will. You can get a rug clean without a pit. Basically the same way you can get a carpet cleaned without vacuuming. Is it the same as washing it in the pit, no. I know guys that clean them in house or in the customers driveway. I have done it when I worked at SS, I think we all have done it and some still continue to do it or some may use their garage.

Jose Smith

A "pit" is NOT necessary. In fact, I do not have a pit. But HWE is not the way to go.

Jose Smith

rhyde

Name
rhyde
I may be wrong.. but you can clean a rug on the concrete floor of your garage just like you can clean it in a "rug pit".

NO, you’re not wrong and the issue isn’t where you can clean it’s how and with what …..My wash floor like many is basically a concrete floor with side berms to contain the water and a drain, hose bibs , dry tower while it’s purpose built basically a large heated garage. However, it doesn’t sound like you are giving what I’d consider a full wash I’ve highlighted some issues……all may not pertain to you there are some unknowns with what you do.

1. Hang and beat ( like they did in the olden days before the badger ) to dust the rug. OK

2. Vacuum the rug to remove as much dry soil as possible sounds good

3. Hose down the rug with a medium pressure gun making sure all areas of the rug are wet. I’m not sure I know what a medium pressure gun is ..? step 4 should be step 3 …..you getting the surface wet with water that has surface tension and combining it with dirt and then adding shampoo. It sounds like you are not saturating the rug completely front to back ? there is an impedance of soil and water to the shampoo read #4

4. Pour my rug cleaning shampoo mix onto the carpet. Rug shampoos are generally anionic and are formulated for their foam and lubricating properties during mechanical agitation (shampooing) and are difficult to completely remove in a wash because…. Anionic cleaners work best under alkaline conditions the pH. of rug shampoo’s are too low between 7-8 even buffered in most cleaning situations the volume of soil, as well as the natural acidic pH of wool pushes the wash water acidic and under acidic conditions anionic cleaners lose their cleaning properties and favor absorption to wool (protonat) making it impossible to remove soil and the shampoo. You’ll think you’ve gotten the shampoo out the foam stops but it’s really still there. That’s why in-plant rug cleaning solutions for washing rugs are non-ionic built cleaning solutions

5. Take a mechanical or manual agitation to the rug making sure to really work in the shampoo. nap distortion from mechanical agitation , and heavily bleached fringe are the two most common cleaner caused damage I see in rugs. Partway way through a scrubbing protonaton I outlined in #4 begins to happen there’s a loss of lubrication on the textile surface causing friction. I’m not telling you it happens with every rug or every time but it happens

6. Let that sit for 10-15 minutes sounds good we let some rugs soak a full day

7. Take higher pressure water solution and spray the rug down while using a "squegee" method to push the water out of the rug.
Pressure cannot match volume of water when people try it causes damage to the rug most notably nap distortion even pile loss how long do you Squeegee the rug ?

8. Clean the fringe. good, if you wash a rug that's the first thing you should do most cleaner neglect the fringe and hammer it the next day with a bleach

9. Spray down the fringe to rinse the cleaner from it. OK

10. Take pile rake and make sure all the pile is properly lifted to prevent un-natural rug patterns. OK, but it should be laid flat then vacuum to fluff when dry

11. Hang dry or dry on the floor with turbo dryers. OK

12. After rug is dry I will vacuume once again to make sure all the dust is removed prior to wrapping it up for delivery. excelent

rhyde

Name
rhyde
Brent said:
There are very few wash pits here in seattle. Even fewer BB users have them. It would be nice to have the pit and all that goes with it. In reality few ever will. You can get a rug clean without a pit. Basically the same way you can get a carpet cleaned without vacuuming. Is it the same as washing it in the pit, no. I know guys that clean them in house or in the customers driveway. I have done it when I worked at SS, I think we all have done it and some still continue to do it or some may use their garage.

emanuells has a wash slab

and ron Kholler has a wash slab and Auserehlian system

Andonian does the shampoo on a slab thing or so i'm told

there's a dealer doing hand washign too.

what the hell does the fuzzy wazzy rug guy do...?

The Great Oz

Name
bryan
emanuells has a wash slab

and ron Kholler has a wash slab and Auserehlian system

Andonian does the shampoo on a slab thing or so i'm told

there's a dealer doing hand washign too.

what the hell does the fuzzy wazzy rug guy do...?

Emmanuel's and Andonian have wash floors and mechanical wringers. Ron uses the Auserehl system with his own adjustments. D. A. Burns uses an automated Roll-a-jet flatbed washer. Evergreen uses an automated shampoo scrubbing system. Fuzzy, Coit and others HWE on the floor. There are multiple rug dealers offering cleaning services by subbing them out to a plant operation or tub washing.

Burns, Emmanuel's and Kohler have the ability to use multiple processes depending on what may be best for a particular rug.

Name
I'm Rick James
Andonian's has a really nice set up. If I remember right fuzzy wuzzy cleans on the floor and uses a drying rack.

Name
I'm Rick James
I have worked in this area for 10 years and I hear alot of complaints about all the companies mentioned in this thread. Can't make them all happy. Like I mentioned before you can do a great job but with poor customer service, it all goes out the door.
Some complaints was just a lack of quality.

rhyde

Name
rhyde
True,

I don’t live or work in the area most of the complaints I hear are from dealers, collectors… mostly people that know the difference between a good old washing and a surface suck or shampooing. Speaking of Andonian whatever happened to Pande Cameron’s wash plant did that ever get off the ground.?

Ron K

Do you beat the Front or Back of the Rug?

Bryan in our new plant we have both a wash pit and a sloped floor. Stop by and take a look.

On a flat slab how are you getting water and soil removal. The water is not flushing soils and cleaning solutions away and is basically in its own way. You are making mud at one level or another. When we wash we fill with clean water first and you'd be surprised at how much residue we remove first and yes it does take large amounts of water and time to isure proper rinsing. When you hang a rug and run water over it you can see what comes out,suds,dirt,pee, or clean clear water.

The Great Oz

Name
bryan
Speaking of Andonian whatever happened to Pande Cameron’s wash plant did that ever get off the ground.?

Closed. They bought and shipped a Moore all the way from Pennsylvania, so I'd guess they were serious about the cleaning shop at one point. Maybe someone wants to make them an offer to get it out of Seattle?

susansmith

I clean Orientals with Argosheen and Argomop. You prepare the Argosheen in a tub with cold water(Usually 5 parts water to l part Argosheen is good. )Can apply full strength if very dirty. Dampen the mop and sweep over the entire rug just like linoleum. Wash out mop and go back over rug with clean water. To really bring out Orientals colors, rinse a final time with l/2 cup vinegar to 1 l/2 gal. water.

Back
Top Bottom