Rug Lovers Tour before The Experience

amygeorge

Supportive Member
Name
Amy Lorance
Have any of you been to the Rug Lovers Tour that Interlink has before The Experience \ Connections in Las Vegas? We are the operation that cleans rugs on site that serious rug cleaners talk about. If the rugs are high end, we recommend the owner to send them to a professional. This is an area of my business that I can improve upon. But, I have no intentions of setting up a rug room at my shop anytime soon because demand isn’t there. Stained concrete, cheap laminate, and tile are more common now. For the most part homeowners are buying low end rugs and not expensive ones. I live in a rural area and high end homes are not the norm.

Let me know if you’ve attended before and if you think it’s worth it for a small operator like me. I’m just wanting to learn, but the price tag is $500!

Amygeorge

John Olson

Name
John Olson
Short answer...no.. you will get more from the guys here that will apply to what your doing.

J Scott W

Name
Jeffrey Scott Warrington
First, Interlink is supporting this but it is not only Interlink. There are other sponsors.

Before signing on to be a sponsor in Las Vegas, I attended 2 of the 5 previous stops on the Rug Lovers Tour.

We spent days at rug importers and rug galleries seeing what was selling, learning rug construction and rug ID and such so that we could appreciate what the customers had and talk intelligently about them.

Then there was visit of successful cleaners plants to see how they were set-up and do some actually cleaning of problem rugs, where curling edges, urine contamination, color bleed and other problems were successfully dealt with.

One day of the 3 day program was marketing. Several members of the group were in the 500% club that had increased volume 500% in a year. One company went from 40 rugs per week on average to over 200 rugs per week. Smaller companies that were only doing 4 or 5 rugs a week grew to 30 rugs per week.

So it was a well rounded program. Products get mentioned, but it is more technical than sales by far. Same for the marketing side. There is a program you can sign-up for, but that does not get pushed hard. Most of the time is spend on real world marketing ideas that have been proven by the companies that are growing.

BTW - There is an early bird special going on right now.

Seeing and doing hands-on will beat hearing several opinions about how something can or should be done. For those that want tog grow in this area, $400 is a good investment just to see how other companies have grown.

ruff

Name
Ofer Kolton
Not specific to this class Amy, however most of those classes and events are well worth every penny.
The expense alone could be recouped cleaning one rug.

The knowledge and connections are of great value.

Mikey P

Administrator
If you have no intention of pit washing fine hand tied rugs on a daily basis than save your money.

I can teach you all you need to know about hacking out synthetic rugs and tufted wools in your barn with a 20 minute phone call.

Reactions: GCCLee

amygeorge

Supportive Member
Name
Amy Lorance
Thanks, guys! I’ll take you up on your offer. The guy I bought my business from suggested I put in a rug bath area in my shop. We just don’t have the demand for it. We do clean cheap rugs when we’re in the home!

GCCLee

Supportive Member
Name
C. Lee
I'd like to see you fight a 10+' er in that barn Mikey. Anything over a 10 I'm a shipping it somewhere :yawn: stinken sheeps ass, shew

Mikey P

Administrator
You really need to be romantic about rugs to pull off a full time rug washing care studio plant set up.

At the very least you'll need drying platforms, a wood deck for stretching/blocking, a controlled drying room, hoists for lifting the biggins (large in Tejah) the patience to check colors for stability, a heard of fans and that damn concrete or inner tube pit.

Some obnoxious little varmint will be constantly peskerin ya to buy his beaver whacker and sausage tumbler with emails and invites to elitist chat groups so be forewarned.

and how many real tied rugs are in your neck of the plateau?

GCCLee

Supportive Member
Name
C. Lee
Utt oh, here comes the color fairy comment.....wait for it......wait for it......

Tell us how ya really feel about colors Big Guy :stir:

ruff

Name
Ofer Kolton
You really need to be romantic about rugs to pull off a full time rug washing care studio plant set up.
and how many real tied rugs are in your neck of the plateau?
Right, but you're forgetting that she can make a mint cleaning them Texas cowboy hats.
Ask Cobb and his 'crazy' hippie side kick:

RES_RSM5309640-2T.jpg

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
Keefer I don't think you know what you are taking about! :p Why does he call you that? :lol:

Amy you'll never lose out on your investment when it comes to education. Whether it helps you to decide to further pursue rug cleaning or gives you a valid reason to back away from it, it's money well spent. $500.00 is a bit pricy until you realize the value in what being offered you. Not only class time but also the time spent meeting other cleaners, making new rug friends and picking their brains.

As close as that is too you, its a great opportunity!

ruff

Name
Ofer Kolton
Yep.
Listen to little Richard. He got moves :winky:

If you have no intention of pit washing fine hand tied rugs on a daily basis than save your money.

I can teach you all you need to know about hacking out synthetic rugs and tufted wools in your barn with a 20 minute phone call.

And under no circumstances, do not, repeat DO NOT pick up the phone if Mr. P. calls.
He may pull a Bristor on you :headbang:

Last edited:

TomKing

Supportive Member
Name
Tom
Amy Go. We have a rug on the floor drying as I type that will bill out close to $800 dollars. You might be surprised what people are hiding in the house. I had a tech bring back 13 rugs last week. He had to call for a pick up. it billed at $1500. He turned a $500 cleaning into a $2000 trip.

I am going to the Rug Summit in Columbus OH just to hear Ken speak can't wait.

FredC

Village Idiot
While I don't really disagree with Tom....he lives in the 13th largest city in the US (34th metro)...ac ity/burbs with a significantly higher average HHI.

there are A LOT more houses to hide rugs in than Vernon, TX and surrounding areas........

ROI?

Your post already indicates your understanding of the demo though

Last edited:

FredC

Village Idiot
Don't get me wrong....I'm sure if you can become "that place" people bring their rugs to from all around it may be worthwhile.........

Lisa had a good post on setups ranging from budget to high end:
http://www.rugchick.com/rug-shop-set-up/

and on the other end you have Mike who had a setup...and now farms out the rugs....so there is some experience in his post.

all that really is premature though...........................learning about rugs/taking a vaca isn't likely to hurt.............probably worthwhile even if you never clean another rug..........but certainly if you are cleaning them onsite/at Mrs. P's house. May even save you$500 one day. :D

just set your spam filter for the following: barry, O’Connell, badger, dusty, spongobongo,

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom