Rug powder like cornmeal.

I have posted about this before. Here is a perfect example. I am assuming it is the glue or latex crumbling apart. It is making a big mess. The powder pours out of the back and top of the rug no matter how much I vacuum it. It also accumulates in piles under the rug making lumps in certain areas. I guess the backing needs to come off and be reapplied. What would something like that cost for an 8x10?

IMAG02661.jpg

Name
Shawn Forsythe
When once in the company of a famed rug expert the question was asked..... "Why do some rugs have a backing cloth?"

The answer given: "it is an indicator of a poorly constructed rug as to help lessen the mess the cheap, crumbly latex will eventually make."

Probably more to fix than the value after repair.

sweendogg

Name
David Sweeney
But its always worth asking your customer, it may be the perfect color and size for thier particular area, somepeople will pay to have it redone the right way with a quality adhesive.

The Great Oz

Name
bryan
we'd charge $364 to put a new backing on. Since these sell for about $800 new, the condition of the face would determine whether that's a good option. There's nothing really wrong with the wool, just the adhesive.

I am charging 500 to clean and protect a 9x12, 8x10, and small runner. I could knock a hundred off and still make good money at 400. This is a good customer and I hate to deliver a powdered mess and say the rug needs to be replaced or repaired.

rhyde

Name
rhyde
did a 3x5 last week it was over 100.00 with cleaning tried to talk the owner out of it but it's one of a matching set so the owner really wanted it done, ..i'll likly be seeing the others in a year or so :shock:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom