Rug rigging help please

Papa John

Lifetime Supportive Member
Name
John Stewart
What am i doing wrong? The bar isnt raising evenly.

FredC

Village Idiot
the simplest solution is to use two ropes/lines and connect them at the pull point

FredC

Village Idiot
pulley.jpg

Two pulleys can be used where the double pulley is allowing for independent adjustment

Last edited:

Papa John

Lifetime Supportive Member
Name
John Stewart
Thanks @FredC . The drawing you made helped a lot.
I was thinking that it could be done with only 1 rope instead of 2.
It works great now-- but I will have to figure how to make it work with a hoist.
I fear it will be too difficult to do by hand.

FredC

Village Idiot
Thanks @FredC . The drawing you made helped a lot.
I was thinking that it could be done with only 1 rope instead of 2.
It works great now-- but I will have to figure how to make it work with a hoist.
I fear it will be too difficult to do by hand.
tie them in a loop and hook it to a winch(basic idea)...... I saw one lifted like that somewhere...........I'll see if I can find it

Last edited:
Reactions: Papa John
Name
Jeff T
‘It’s a complicated system of ropes and pulleys’...
That there is all I remember from taking sailing lessons from an old crusty, barnacle sailor....
Power is nice if a guy does large volumes... the rest of us need to use physics....

Cleanworks

Name
Ron Marriott
the simplest solution is to use two ropes/lines and connect them at the pull point
exactly what I do. The premade block and tackle gives me 3-1 pulling power. I use a couple of small pulleys as guides for the rope. the pull ropes from the 2 sets hang together. You pull both at the same time and the bar goes up and down evenly. I will be replacing all of my old ones with the premade block and tackles.

Cleanworks

Name
Ron Marriott
Thanks @Cleanworks I prefer not to use a multi-purchase tackle--
Doesn't that increase the amount of rope to pull?
Not really, the one in the picture I buy from a farm and auto supply store. It is pre rigged. you attached one pulley to the pole and the other to the ceiling or other support. run the loose end of the rope across the ceiling and down where your tie off is. That rope will hang loosely. Attach another set to the other side of the pole and repeat. You may have to adjust the length of the ropes but its one set of pulleys per side. you pull both ropes together. Easiest system I have used. I think I pay about $35 per set. You need 2 sets per pole. I can pull up a wet 10x14 british india rug with ease.

The Great Oz

Name
bryan
We have a pole rig we use for hanging sails and boat tops. The rig is as simple as Fred's drawing, but the two lines are connected to single pull cable and a boat trailer winch is used to wind the single cable.

If we used it more often we'd add a motor in place of the hand winch. A small electric shop winch good for about 1,000 pounds can be found for under $200.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom