Running 2" vacuum hose through hole in sliding door. Any issues?

ruff

Name
Ofer Kolton
I'm installing my new pro-1200 in a van with a sliding door and have some concern.
I always run with locked doors. In my previous van, always a CDS and I put a trap door in floor which worked great. Due to the way the Pro-1200 is designed it will be harder to do.

1. Therefore if I put a whole in sliding door, it will be only about 1 to 2 feet from connection, will that create a problem with opening or closing door (which we'll have to do) while hose is hooked up? Seems to me like it will put some stress on connection.
  2. Will area of hole eventually rust?
  3. Any other potential issues?

Any other Pro-1200 owners here?
Josh Adler, Joe Applebe, Ben Surdi, others?

ruff

Name
Ofer Kolton
Officially, I was under the impression, that there should be one to the point response before the thread gets derailed and goes to the dogs.

Evidently, I was wrong.

Jim Martin

Supportive Member
Name
Jim Martin
I'm installing my new pro-1200 in a van with a sliding door and have some concern.
I always run with locked doors. In my previous van, always a CDS and I put a trap door in floor which worked great. Due to the way the Pro-1200 is designed it will be harder to do.

1. Therefore if I put a whole in sliding door, it will be only about 1 to 2 feet from connection, will that create a problem with opening or closing door (which we'll have to do) while hose is hooked up? Seems to me like it will put some stress on connection.
  2. Will area of hole eventually rust?
  3. Any other potential issues?

Any other Pro-1200 owners here?
Josh Adler, Joe Applebe, Ben Surdi, others?

Going off the picture on the 1200 it has the same vacuum port and about in the same location...turn it and re-plumb it out one of the back barn doors.......

Reactions: ruff

Mark Saiger

Mr Happy!
Name
Mark Saiger
Reactions: Erik and ruff

hogjowl

Idiot™
Officially, I was under the impression, that there should be one to the point response before the thread gets derailed and goes to the dogs.

Evidently, I was wrong.

I thought my response was targeting the heart of your question. If you put the pork hole immediately opposite to the hose reel, you can't open the door. If you put it at the other end of the door, the slack created allows you to open the door and not create stress on it.

Reactions: Shorty and ruff

ruff

Name
Ofer Kolton
  • Jim, the cds ports are on top of recovery tank, on pro 1200 they are at bottom right side (very close to the end of the sliding door front side. Trying to avoid running from back door.
  • Fred, the side step is a possibility though it will have an extra bend (a little loss of vacuum) and may force me to put the chemical jug somewhere else. Working with a standard size van (a necessity in S.F.) and trying to maximize space, as I have the baaaaaaad habit of carrying a lot of chemicals and equipment with me.
  • Mark, that is very neat and thanks for the pictures. Is opening or closing while hose in create any issue? What's the distance from door to where hookup is?

Name
Lee Stockwell
Put a loop on a section of vacuum hose that connects from the tank to the door opening. Long enough that the door can be opened completely while still hooked up, short enough that an elastic cord can lift up the slack when it is closed and running.

Reactions: Jeremy N

Mark Saiger

Mr Happy!
Name
Mark Saiger
Hopefully you just got a chance to see the videos posted (while you were both posting your threads)

The videos will maybe help with all the ideas mentioned.

Mark

Jim Martin

Supportive Member
Name
Jim Martin
  • Jim, the cds ports are on top of recovery tank, on pro 1200 they are at bottom right side (very close to the end of the sliding door front side. Trying to avoid running from back door.
  • Fred, the side step is a possibility though it will have an extra bend (a little loss of vacuum) and may force me to put the chemical jug somewhere else. Working with a standard size van (a necessity in S.F.) and trying to maximize space, as I have the baaaaaaad habit of carrying a lot of chemicals and equipment with me.
  • Mark, that is very neat and thanks for the pictures. Is opening or closing while hose in create any issue? What's the distance from door to where hookup is?

yours is right where mine on the 570 is...its a tight fit...and I am not sure you going to get enough bend out of a hose to go into a port hole and still have a moving sliding door....if you manage to get a bend in it then I would put a travel loop in the hose so it can roll with the door.............

ruff

Name
Ofer Kolton
Marty, are you talking live vacuum hose reel? (which I don't have).

The connection with the pro-1200 is at front side of sliding door, which will allow for a foot or two. I could move it back. If I put the hole in door on the back side of door, it will create more of a slack and add a band (slight loss of vacuum.)

hogjowl

Idiot™
I think the way you place the hole doesn't matter, now that I think about it. Because , you're going to have to put a loop in the hose either way; whether to close the door or to open it.

So, basically your question is pointless and you should stop over-thinking the issue.

Reactions: Art Kelley

ruff

Name
Ofer Kolton
yours is right where mine on the 570 is...its a tight fit...and I am not sure you going to get enough bend out of a hose to go into a port hole and still have a moving sliding door....if you manage to get a bend in it then I would put a travel loop in the hose so it can roll with the door.............

Jim, what's a travel loop?

Put a loop on a section of vacuum hose that connects from the tank to the door opening. Long enough that the door can be opened completely while still hooked up, short enough that an elastic cord can lift up the slack when it is closed and running.
Lee, due to my dis-mechanical inclination and general intelligence issues, I am not sure I follow. Could you explain more or have a picture. And what would be the elastic cord?

Marty, I can't help it. In case you haven't noticed, I'm the thinking type. That however, does not mean I don't have feelings. Would you like me to elaborate? :winky:

Jim Martin

Supportive Member
Name
Jim Martin
Jim, what's a travel loop?

Lee, due to my dis-mechanical inclination and general intelligence issues, I am not sure I follow. Could you explain more or have a picture. And what would be the elastic cord?

Marty, I can't help it. In case you haven't noticed, I'm the thinking type. That however, does not mean I don't have feelings. Would you like me to elaborate? :winky:

a circle......hook to the vacuum port....run hose hose down the floor put about a 2 foot circle in it and put it threw the hole.......wala...a travel loop........it will move the hose freely with the door and nothing will bind up........

Reactions: ruff

GCCLee

Supportive Member
Name
C. Lee
Go to the Auto parts store and getcha one of those custom chrome gas lids.

Sent from da parking garage of dee detention center

GCCLee

Supportive Member
Name
C. Lee
I run out the back of our rig, through the floorboard. Behind drivers rear tire.

mymy4y3e.jpg

Love being able to lock the doors at times!

Sent from da parking garage of dee detention center

Scott S.

Supportive Member
Name
Scott
How do you keep the hose from pulling back out the window?

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Tapatalk

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
Since you don't have to worry about freezing why not just mount a manifold outside the vehicle beneath the door. Run the plumbing down through the floor and to the manifold.

That way you don't even have to screw with cutting on the door.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom