Running a 1 1/2 whip

Name
I'm Rick James
I roll with 2 inches from machine to carpet.

I read from some high profile online folks that says its cool to run the 1 1/2 whip hose and doesnt effect your flow. If that is true then why not run a 2 inch to a 1 1/2 tube wand.

Just trying to sort through the BS..

Mike Draper

if it doesnt matter, why not a 1" whip? Until you go 2.5 for a while, you'll never realize what your missing.

Bob Foster

It also depends on how powerful your sucky-sucky machine is as to if you would see much difference. There might be better improvements than that that might be easy to accomplish.

Post some pictures of your machine blower and the hoses to and out of your blower and you will get some suggestions .

Name
Noble Carpet Cleaners
bob foster is a smart guy. totally depends on your suckee source and tools. must have balance grasshopper.

Zee

Supportive Member
Name
On topic.. When I run my truckmount full speed with my 85 feet 2.5" hose it has no affect on the unit (no bogging down).

When I connect the 50 foot 2" hose that goes to my wand, it definitely gives a 100-150rpm down.

If I were to connect a 1.5" whip it would drown it even more so it has to have an affect in the air flow/water removal.

If I didn't run my 2.5" at all but would run two 2" all the way to the wand it sounds like its choked down compare to running 2.5"

2.5" to 2" to 2"wand is the way to do it. forget about the lil' 1.5 toys. thats for portys.

GeneMiller

Name
gene miller
i demoed the mastercleans el diablo the other day. they were at my supplier with all the toys. they ran 1 1/2 to a 1 1/2 wand. i didn't say anything but i was a little surprised. they do build a nice machine.

gene

Name
I'm Rick James
Thats one badass setup you got mike..

Bob.. I got a 23 hp briggs with a 45 blower. It suck pretty good.. with the 2 inch wand I did notice a difference from the 1 1/2 wand. Atleast that what I like to think... no real testing.

I was just suprised to read that some suggested they use the whip hose and that it wont cut down your flow. Maybe it depends on the machine.

Mike Draper

GeneMiller said:
i demoed the mastercleans el diablo the other day. they were at my supplier with all the toys. they ran 1 1/2 to a 1 1/2 wand. i didn't say anything but i was a little surprised. they do build a nice machine.

gene
All machines run nice when they are brand new. Wait till that thing has 2000 hours on it and I bet you won't say the same thing.

Zee

Supportive Member
Name
GeneMiller said:

gene

Assuming you meant Masterblend somewhat amus ... they do build a decent unit. BUT every time I see them doing their lamea$$ demo with the little 1.5" hose and wand- I cringe.

I told them many times that claiming the El Diablo as a dual wand unit is just flat out wrong!!

I have done jobs with it 350' of hose (85' of 2.5" and the rest 2' all the way)... lemme tell you: There IS NO WAY the unit would handle dual wanding. It could barely produce enough suction for that one line to do a decent job.

Zee

Supportive Member
Name
Mike Draper said:
GeneMiller said:

gene
All machines run nice when they are brand new. Wait till that thing has 2000 hours on it and I bet you won't say the same thing.

I'm nearing 2000hrs and other than a factory faulty Roots blower that was replaced BY Roots it has no major issues. Smaller maintenance issues -yes, but what unit doesn't have it?

Mike Draper

2 friends with el diablos. One with 2200 hrs the other with 2700hrs. Both had so many problems after it hit 2000 hrs. It was 1 issue after another. They said it was the happiest day of their lives selling that pos. Both has problems withthe flow fired converter or something electrical.

Bob Foster

You won't believe how many famous name brand machines there are out there that have really terrible air flow. If care to post some pictures we might be able to give you a big boost in performance.

Doug Cox

Supportive Member
Name
Doug Cox
I use a 2' and a 1.5" hose. I have 48hp w/ a 59 blower so I'm not lacking in vac. I recently moved my 2.5 hose from 3rd position to 2nd position on my reel and I could not believe the difference in vac just doing that. I like to run a 1.5' wand mainly because because its alot of working pushing 2" wand 10 hours a day.

Zee

Supportive Member
Name
Doug Cox said:
I like to run a 1.5' wand mainly because because its alot of working pushing 2" wand 10 hours a day.

Really?! :shock: How small are your hands?

Bob Foster

You get used to 2" tools and if you went back to the smaller stuff they feel like cheap toys. And 14" is way better than 12" tools.

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni
before we got our Ti, we ran 2" to a 1.5 wand .
Got rid of the whip the first year I was in biz ('cept for upl)

I've never owned a TM with bigger than a 47 blower
and have ran a 45 for 16 out of 20+ years .
which I consider the "ideal" single wand blower
(Unless you're under driving them like the typical direct drive, then a 47 is better)

"hearing" a difference in the sound doesn't mean much.
It's whether or not you're actually extracting more moisture.
I'd suggest you guys using 2.5 for runs under a 100ft are working harder than you need to handling the heavier, bulkier, stiffer 2.5 ..cause you ain't gaining much if any more moisture recovery

yea, i know, some of you are going to swear it makes a HUGE difference ...
But I'll bet none have actually measured water used and recovered to "know" what if any difference there "really" is

and I heard the same type claims about hole glides...I "knew" better

..L.T.A.

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni
Mike Draper said:
because its alot of working pushing 2" wand 10 hours a day.
:oops: :oops:

Dont be such a puss! Maybe u should get a TI wand.

Years in Trade: 5 .... :roll:

maybe you should stop thinking like a knowitall when you're still wet behind the ears ..
you might think a little different when your pushing 50 and have put 1000+ hours on your TM every year for TWENTY YEARS

..L.T.A.

Doug Cox

Supportive Member
Name
Doug Cox
Zalan Szabo (zee) said:
[quote="Doug Cox":2bv8m9jv] I like to run a 1.5' wand mainly because because its alot of working pushing 2" wand 10 hours a day.

Really?! :shock: How small are your hands?[/quote:2bv8m9jv]
Zalan- What kinda of machine are you running? That might explain what you said.

Doug Cox

Supportive Member
Name
Doug Cox
meAt said:
Mike Draper said:
because its alot of working pushing 2" wand 10 hours a day.
:oops: :oops:

Dont be such a puss! Maybe u should get a TI wand.

Years in Trade: 5 .... :roll:

maybe you should stop thinking like a knowitall when you're still wet behind the ears ..
you might think a little different when your pushing 50 and have put 1000+ hours on your TM every year for TWENTY YEARS

Thanks for help Larry. I'm actually down to about 1300 hrs. a year now and have been doing this for 29 years.

..L.T.A.

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni
Doug Cox said:
Thanks for help Larry. I'm actually down to about 1300 hrs. a year now and have been doing this for 29 years.

you workaholics wear me out just thinking about that... :lol:

glad you "slowed down" some...... :mrgreen:

..L.T.A.

Mike Draper

I wont be cleaning carpet when I'm 50 :oops: , guaranteed. If you are working 1300 hours a year on your truck at $200 an hour, you should easily be able to run a crew that is paid well and delivers quality results for you and your clients.

Mike Draper

hey larry, why dont you just run a 1.5" whip for the last 50'. have you measured the water to see of your 2" hose is pulling out more than a 50' whip of 1.5 does? It just doesnt make sense to be using 2" hose when a 1.5" does the same.

Able 1

Name
Keith
meAt said:
Doug Cox said:
Thanks for help Larry. I'm actually down to about 1300 hrs. a year now

:shock:
1,300 a year o/o that's f'n crazy! I push work quite a bit, but couldn't imagine doing over 1,000 hours on a TM in a year...

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni
Mike Draper said:
hey larry, why dont you just run a 1.5" whip for the last 50'. have you measured the water to see of your 2" hose is pulling out more than a 50' whip of 1.5 does? It just doesnt make sense to be using 2" hose when a 1.5" does the same.

there comes a point of diminishing returns , Drapes .
i don't know if you'll ever figure that out or not :roll:

..L.T.A.

Art Kelley

Supportive Member
Name
Rainbow Carpet And Upholstery Cleaning
Nero said:
I roll with 2 inches from machine to carpet.

I read from some high profile online folks that says its cool to run the 1 1/2 whip hose and doesnt effect your flow. If that is true then why not run a 2 inch to a 1 1/2 tube wand.

Just trying to sort through the BS..

The 1 1/2 whip is a labor saving device in itself. I carry a 50 foot one and a 15 foot one and both are useful in certain situations particularly cleaning in crowded rooms or jumping to rooms that are a great distance apart. I like starting a job with the 1 1/2 unglided 12" wand to get under furniture and do all the dicking around areas in bedrooms and under desks etc., then switch to the hole glided Ti wand for the large open areas and the serious cleaning which requires heavy flushing of the scrubbed in presprayed areas.
The 1 1/2" wand will leave the carpet wetter then the hiflo glided 2' wand in the heavily pretreated areas, but things dry quickly with either wand in those areas that require only a quick light cleaning.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom