Rust stains off limestone

Hack Attack

Name
Dan
How would you approach these? I tried non acid carpet rust remover with no luck.
The "idiot gardner" (who I think was the husband as he sat there looking adequately subdued) spilled fertilizer on the pavers and didn't sweep it up or rinse it off.. @Mikey P
20180411_111028.jpg

Reactions: Stephen D. Gillett

Hack Attack

Name
Dan
I was thinking maybe making oxalic acid paste?

or am I on wrong track?

its on quite a few over an area about 15ft x 25ft they're not worried about the current pitting or scratches just the staining

Andy

Name
Doesn't Matter
You are probably fighting a chemical in the fertilizer, so it is not just a rust stain. If it is yard fertilizer they may contain phosphates and ammonium nitrates. How would you fight a urine stain on limestone? Might have to be your thought process not rust.

Stephen D. Gillett

Supportive Member
Name
Steve Gillett
Sounds like it goes very deep. An abrasive pad like a Hone pad, or 7" 200 grit Revolution pad with water may help remove some material to get a little deeper. I'm not saying leave dipping or going too aggressive; just spend a good 30 seconds to a minute on it. Then try your chem products. Of course I will recommend using STONE PRO Stone and Glass scrub to help agitate an bring out rust discoloration. Even a 3m green/blue pad with the Stone Scrub has removed rust left from rod iron chairs and tables from Travertine for me.
stone-and-glass-scrub-hard-water-deposit-remover

Old Coastie

Supportive Member
Name
Stephen
the bag of fertiliser was ferrous sulphate based (iron) in the 2nd pic of the grounds its also on the steps going down to next level

So the stone looks tumbled and dull; why not use Barkeeper’s friend and a good scrub brush? It won’t eat the stone like some acids, but it would certainly dull a shiny finish.

If the stone has a sheen, you could always just use a foam disk and some travertine polish, or just good old car polishing compound. You’d buff it up a little, to match the area.

SuperDave212

Name
David
u can put down a white paper towel and cover in 40 clear...what woman dye their hair with and cover with a plastic over night....if that doesn't work regular pool choline works sometimes...I tried that front 9 restoration...never worked on anything:(

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom