S-500 questions and sheet rock qestions

How much moisture and how long it is wet before replacement ? Don't I remember something in the S500 about this subject ?

Opinions please !!

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
Can't say I remember that addressed in the S-500.???

Our biggest concern would be with microbial growth 24-48 hours, but saying that, we evaluate each case and make a decision from there.

Generally on drywall that has had water migrated up into, we will save it as long as it came from a clean water source and the dry wall has not lost it's integrity.

If it's mushy it's out, if it's soft, it will usually dry back fine.

Drywall affected by water from above will retain more water than drywall that if it ran vertically down. So in those instances we will evaluate those a little closer, in case the ceiling needs removal.

The caveat on saving walls would be those that have blown insulation. When water comes from above it will case the blown insulation to compact and lose R-value.

In those cases removal will be required due to the the loss of R-value.

Did that help at all? :?

Cat-3, removal!

kmdineen

Name
Kevin Dineen
If the sheetrock is in your drying chamber and there are no signs of contamination, dry it.
It doesn't cost much more to dry three walls instead of two as long as no specialty equipment is needed.
Let the adjuster or builder decide what is structurally sound, what looks good enough to save and what should be removed. Our job is to dry the structure quickly, thoroughly and cost effectively.
We sell hot dry air that dries a chamber and everything in it, we don't charge per item.

Johnnyone

If I need it dry fast remove it.
If there is a lot of it remove it

If its cat a less than 12hr small area
and its a inner wall dry it in place

Can't find my s 500

Ron Werner

Name
Ron Werner
kmdineen said:
Let the adjuster or builder decide what is structurally sound, what looks good enough to save and what should be removed.

I've been out of the loop for wd for a few years, I refer people to the guys that do it all year long.
Since when did the adjusters become the experts?? I know they were starting to educate themselves but isn't the wd guy the expert that should make the recommendations to the adjuster, then let the adjuster decide?

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
I agree we are the experts but don't be suprised if you see an adjuster right beside you in class.

I had tech's at three schools last year that had adjusters in class.

One was even at Jeremy Reets world's fastest drying school, and the guys said he had his journeymen water certs and amrt too!

kmdineen

Name
Kevin Dineen
Ron Werner said:
kmdineen said:
Let the adjuster or builder decide what is structurally sound, what looks good enough to save and what should be removed.

I've been out of the loop for wd for a few years, I refer people to the guys that do it all year long.
Since when did the adjusters become the experts?? I know they were starting to educate themselves but isn't the wd guy the expert that should make the recommendations to the adjuster, then let the adjuster decide?

You misunderstand my point Ron. We are the drying experts, not the adjuster or homeowner. So our priority is to dry everything (mitigate) when the cost of restoration does not exceed the cost of replacement.
It is the job of the adjuster to recommend to the insurance company what the homeowner's policy should cover.
It has been my experience that once the homeowner meets their deductible they would like everything replaced with new material. It's not uncommon to have the homeowner request the carpet and pad or ceilings and walls be removed so it can be replaced with new. This can puts us, the restoration companies, in a no win situation when the adjuster asks why something could not be dried or did we remove more material than was necessary.
My point is let us do the drying (mitigate) and let the homeowner and their insurance company take all the time they need to reach an agreement on replacement with out us in the middle.

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
We do as you do Kevin. We dry what is cost effective and reasonable to dry.

If later they make replacement calls on areas we dried it's on them. We don't dry areas that we know should be replaced and we only remove areas that will need to come out either way.

Back
Top Bottom