Sacrificial anode in aluminum recovery tank- Will it prevent corrosion. Does it work?

ruff

Name
Ofer Kolton
I am getting confused here.
Will a sacrificial anode in an aluminum recovery tank help preventing or reducing corrosion?

Some say that it will only help in fresh water tank, some say that it will help in recovery tank.

Anybody knows?

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
Oh hell now we're into sacrifices? I knew it was bound to come to this. :p

Not sure. ??? How long has your current one done before it had an issue?

Can they rino line the inside of a tank? I wonder if it would help?

Reactions: ruff

dgardner

Name
Dan Gardner
I don't know for sure, but in the marine environment I know sacrificial anodes are used both in fresh water and salt water. I imagine electrolysis happens in the recovery tank as well.

I do know that for the anode to work it must be fastened (electrically bonded) to the aluminum, it's not something you can just toss in the bottom of the tank.

dgardner

Name
Dan Gardner
Can they rino line the inside of a tank? I wonder if it would help?

The problem with tank coatings is they must be perfect. One pinhole and liquid seeps under the lining and gets trapped there, which is worse than no lining at all. There are companies that specialize in tank coatings, but it is a very meticulous, expensive process involving careful surface prep and usually several coats of an expensive coating.

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
A decade or more ago we used fiber rinse exclusively and we would get barnacles building up in the aluminum waste tanks. It only happened with the acid rinses, nothing since.

The problem with tank coatings is they must be perfect. One pinhole and liquid seeps under the lining and gets trapped there, which is worse than no lining at all.
Gotcha!

dgardner

Name
Dan Gardner
A decade or more ago we used fiber rinse exclusively and we would get barnacles building up in the aluminum waste tanks. It only happened with the acid rinses, nothing since.

That makes sense. An anode would help electrolysis in the recovery tank, but wouldn't stop direct chemical attack.

Reactions: Shawn Forsythe

bob vawter

Grassy Knoller
Name
bob vawter
Hagopian uses Butlers and Butler has all stainless waste and fresh tanks

Actually Steam Genies made the best stainless tank ever...over the wheel well saved way more space....with a stupidly simple waste tank filter
i jus turned down two Steam Genies (cheep) cuz they didn't come wit a waste tank....

GeneMiller

Name
gene miller
Zinc, aluminum and magnesium are all used as sacrificial anodes. Magnesium would work best for an aluminum tank. Never used one,always had aluminum and never had any problems. Don't suck up coins, pennies stuck to the bottom of your tank can cause some problems.

Gene

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom