Sad News Gary Heacock

KevinL

Supportive Member
Name
Kevin Leach
So sorry to hear of your loss. I met Gary at a couple of events and he was an awesome guy. He will be deeply missed.

Joe Appleby

Supportive Member
Name
Joe Appleby
Years back at a forgotten seminar where I knew no one, Gary was the 1st to shake my hand and introduce himself. I never forgot Gary.

Name
BradFenstermaker
GoodBye Mr. Heacock! Pleasure to have shared a few conversations with a legend in this industry. My deepest condolence's to the Heacock family and friends.

Jimbo

Just to reflect a bit on Gary's helpful way with fellow cleaners...in his own words...

"Dick Maplesden had 3 crews doing nothing but on location carpet cleaning, and I went to work for him.
The first morning was a Monday. I had been out of work for a couple of weeks, and was flat broke that Monday morning. 8 am, at the shop, Dick took his men across the street to a small cafe for coffee, as he did every morning. I was embarrassed to not have coffee, but I did not have a dime for a cup. Dick saw my embarrassment, and bought my coffee, and he said he bought for everyone every morning. So, I did have coffee.

About noon, dick came to the job where I was, and just finishing. he looked the job over, found it OK, and told me he was taking me to lunch. fine, I had no money for lunch either.

At lunch, Dick told me the job was fine, and when I was hired, he said my pay was $2.00 per hour, which was about right at the time, I had been getting that at Curley's Rug Cleaners. he told me he was going to pay me $2.25 per hour, since I did a good job.

At the end of the day, I was going to ask for an advance on my pay because I was broke, but Dick anticipated me, and offered me $10.00.

On the Wednesday, Dick told me he was going to pay me $2.50 per hour. Then, on Friday, which was payday, my check reflected a raise to $3.00 per hour.

What a great guy, Dick Maplesden. I would do anything for him, and when I started my own business, years later, I did the same thing, passed along buying the morning coffee, and frequent lunches, and frequent raises, and bonuses."

Lots of great life stories on Gary's 'story page' http://www.heacocks.com/Stories.htm

<!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" LatentStyleCount="156"> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;} </style> <![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <o:shapedefaults v:ext="edit" spidmax="1026"/> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <o:shapelayout v:ext="edit"> <o:idmap v:ext="edit" data="1"/> </o:shapelayout></xml><![endif]-->

Reactions: J Scott W

harryhides

Name
Tony
Thanks for relating that glimpse into Gary, he was a great guy and will be missed.
My deepest condolence's to the Heacock family and friends.

truckmount girl

1800greenglides
Name
Lisa Smith
Oh gosh, I am so sorry. The industry grieves. Gary was a great man and a good man. Always friendly, always positive and always there for us. He will be missed deeply.

Take care,
Lisa

Shorty

RIP
Name
Shorty Glanville
Just to add to what Jimbo was saying about Gary's movie experience, He was a very avid photographer all of his life.

He served on board the USS Missouri during the second world war.

He remarked to me (after I sent him some photo's), that the Missouri only fired a full broadside twice in it's life.

He & Ted were on board for one of them, and he even picked out several crew that he remembered in my photos.

Here, he became life-long pals with Ted V Mikels, the producer of all the movies that Jimbo put up.

He used to laugh at the hi-jinks they got up to with their special effects.

Ted & Shanti still live in Las Vegas.

On left is Shanti, Ted's Lady, Ted is front right.

garyampTed_zps2a642c2d.jpg

Roger Koh, Gary, Elwood John Watson

LasVegas08006.jpg

The man himself at his home in Portland, Oregon.

GaryHeacock.jpg

An upstanding Gentleman who will be sorely missed.

R.I.P. my friend.

Shorty & Delia

Reactions: Jim Bethel

Ron Werner

Name
Ron Werner
Wow, my condolences to your family Alan.
I got to meet him at Mikefest in Santa Cruz, it was interesting how he knew the guy I had bought my first used truck mount from in 1980, a Big Red.
He sure brought the industry a long way.

alazo1

Name
Albert Lazo
Very sad news. I met Gary on the first and second MF and enjoyed talking to him. He joked around a lot, I think he still thought he was a kid.

Jay D

Name
Jay D
Sorry to hear of your loss Alan. Lost my dad 2 years ago and still think about him every day. Your dad was a man who knew everything about this interesting industry but was always just a regular guy willing to share his thoughts, insights and expertise with anyone. He did it in a kind and helpful way. I had a pair of wand skis for awhile and was always wanting to see his "NEW" inventions he would come out with.

If anyone wants more insight on Gary take some time and read the stories on the link above, I did a couple years ago and its good a goood read on his life. Sorry for your loss.

Ed

Name
Ed Prevost
Wow, I am so sorry for your family's loss. I never met Gary in person, but years ago picked his brain via email several times. I don't have any stories to tell, but what an example of a life well lived. It's not the size of your bank account, your company, your home, how many cars you have that matters, it's how many people were affected in a positive way by your living that counts. Gary was a giver. RIP Gary, well done.

Jim Williams

Name
Jim Williams
Sorry for your loss Alan. A truly sad day for the industry. When I started this business 9 years ago he was always so willing to give advice to the newbies over on ICS in the days before Mikey got kicked off and started his own board. He was a great guy.

Askal

RIP
Name
Al
RIP Gary. So sorry for your loss Alan and pass on my condolences to your family please. I talked with Gary many times over the last 30 years and he was the most generous and kind cleaners I have ever met. You should be very proud.
Al Paulsen

Vinnie

RIP
Name
Vincent Annunziato
Sorry for your loss, I met you father about 12 or 13 years ago in St.Louis.Man he new his trade. Only man I knew who had a Ballweber TM.

Name
Danny Strickland
Alan, my families condolances to you and yours.

I have a couple of Gary's manuals and had the pleasure of driving him around in Pensacola years ago at a Fest. I loved his joke page after learning on his website.

I put him in the same class of GENTLEMAN as Ralph Bloss. Two of the most gracious men i've ever met.

Gary, may the carpet in your heavenly mansion never pool or have pile reversal!!!

Becker

Name
Becker
Enough can not be said about this man.......

This is truly sad news!

I've had the honor or meeting him many times, his 1st question was always, how is Alex, much like Watson.

Heacock is a true legend on the industry, if we had a hall of fame, this man would clearly be voted in.

Rest in peace Gary...

Thank you!

RIP Gary. You will be missed by many. This picture was take when Gary showed me how to take ink out of a wool rug. Allan you need anything call me. Woolrug001.jpg

steve frasier

Supportive Member
Name
steve frasier
Gary always had time to talk. Whenever I was cleaning carpet at the college across the street from his house, he would almost always come over and say hi. Prayers to the Heacock family.

Last edited:

doylebloss

Supportive Member
Name
Doyle Bloss
I am glad I got to catch up with Gary a couple of months ago when I was looking for a picture I thought he might have. We had a great time talking about some of the old times. He was a one of a kind, and a kind and generous person. I first met him on a Steam Way cruise too many moons ago to remember and enjoyed several upholstery classes he taught after that. His sense of humor and caring nature are his legacy that will be remembered. May God bless his family.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom