sales tax in Florida

boazcan

Name
Bryan C
none on commercial or residential carpet cleaning. jury is still out on other residential services.

We charge tax on VCT work as it is too close to janitorial to risk it.

joe harper

Name
joe harper
The sales tax on service...was one of Fl. stupidest DeBocLeS...ever ...It was repelled..

I owned a large auto detailing biz at the time...I was AUDITED... :evil:

Fortunately...I was not charging Sales TaX...If you take the tax...You damn well..better report it.!!! They came after me for the TAX...on all my GROSS sales for the previous year + penalties. Amost $10000.00..penalties and interest... :shock:

I fought it and had to pay $500.00.... :D

Fortunately...a bulk of the sales were to DEALERS...I was able to avoid that tax..Because the
Dealer had collected sales tax on the vechicle..at the time of the sale...!

Here was their reasoning for the tax on the other sales... :roll:
I could wash,buff,vac,& clean the cars...with NO TAX...! "all considered labor..No tax"

BUT...If we applied ANY TYPE of protectors..I.E. WAX.VINAL DRESSING. or TIRE DRESSING...
The entire INVOICE WAS TAXABLE.... :eek:

These ITEMS were considered a TANGIABLE IMPROVEMENT...&...TAXIBLE.... :?

Their THEORY was..If a mechanic works on you car...&...fixes the car with labor only..NO TAX..
BUT..If he adds one screw...This a "tangiable improvement"and the ENTIRE transaction is Taxable.... :roll:

So I sold ...MY services as "PACKAGES" from that point on.."FULL DETAILS"..No charge for
the silicone and waxes or paint sealers... :idea: "It was a LOOPHOLE"..that stood-up.!!!

The LAW was "poorly written"...and could NOT be inforced..Too ambiguous...!!!

The way I avoided the tax in Carpet Cleaning business...Was to remove the TERM...
"Clean & Protect"...The Teflon or ScotchGuard...was a tangiable improvement... :wink:

THANK GOD THE LAW IS GONE.... :D

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom