Sapphire Uph Tool vs Rotovac Shear Dry

Loren Egland

Name
Loren Egland
I have only demoed the 3 versions of the Hydramaster tool and the Safire Scientific tool. I own several Hydro dry tools, the internal jet PMF tool, conventional tools, and the 2 versions of the Hydro-Kinetic upholstery tools.

I have been spoiled by using the HK tool for 30 years. It still offers the most cleaning performance with the shearing high flow high pressure while leaving the fabric dryer.

That being said, I now own the new Sheardry Rotovac tool because I couldn't turn down the package deal at Mikefest when it was included with the Rotovac 360i Quad Rotary Jet Extractor.

After having used the RV tool a few times, I like the light feel and it seems to clean fine if the solution is dialed back. If you want to use it without dialing it down, it is difficult to stay dry yourself because it wants to spray both backwards and forwards too much when the tool comes off the fabric. It also is too forceful out of the center back hole and the 2 center front holes. At full bore, it will let solution pass past the fabric in the center.

I once tried to seal all the back holes, but it didn't stick. I now have just the center back hole plugged which helped some. Still, if you dial back the performance at little, it is not bad to use. I would think that if the tool only had front holes it would be easier to control moisture and you could still clean both directions.

The SS tool seemed to be able to take full flow and not penetrate beyond the fabric, or spray out of control when using it. At this point I am sure I would like it better. But if Rotovac makes some minor changes in the face plate that improve its draw backs, it could be a game changer. Hopefully Mike will be of help testing any changes.

I love the HK performance, but also prefer the lighter weight of the RV tool, and it does clean well enough.

I don't clean a lot of upholstery and I may not be cleaning for too much longer, so I am too cheap to buy the SS when I have plenty of tools to get the job done. But if you don't have any dry tools, I suggest comparing the HK and the SS and choosing one of them.

My two cents.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom