Scarifying Concrete

Willy P

Name
Willy P
Anyone doing this? How hard is it? Is it profitable? What kind of machinery do you use? Concrete floors are becoming much more prevalent today and they need love too.

Name
Robert Falzone
Here are pics from another training session. We got the floor naturally shiny and then I showed what a difference the guard makes. The drama is that guard can scratch, but naked concrete can stain. Guard is usually used for commercial and natural for residential or high end commercial.
IMG_7422.JPG
IMG_7425.JPG
IMG_7427.JPG
IMG_7429.JPG
IMG_7430.JPG
IMG_7431.JPG

Last edited:

Mikey P

Administrator
Robert I'm going to assume that you've seen a few carpet cleaners invest in this service and shortly thereafter bail out of carpet?

Looks great for a large multi truck Co who can plan their schedules accordingly

Name
Robert Falzone
Aramsco Interlink can rent the equipment and provide training to a cleaner who scores the occasional garage or convinience store polishing job, but they have to purchase the diamond abrasives, so there is an investment.

The first 3 steps to grind down and totally expose the aggregate are metal bond diamonds that cost about $120 each and you need six for the smallest rental grinder. The epoxy resin polishing grits are about $35 each and those steps are 4-8. If the concrete is dull but not deeply scratched you don't have to start at the lower, more expensive grits.

I know two carpet cleaners personally who totally divested from their truckmounts after doing a few jobs. This was even before I started working as an Aramsco sales rep.

Concrete polishing is not for everyone though. You need a strong personality and when setbacks happen there is no pouting. Carpet cleaning is hard too, but if the homeowner doesn't like the job you did, you can usually walk away and they'll call someone else. Jack up a concrete job and word spreads pretty fast...

I do free training out of Las Vegas. Anyone is welcome to come by for an afternoon if they are interested.

Rob

Willy P

Name
Willy P
Thanks a ton Robert. As the soft fibers are disappearing , I'm finding the "hard stuff" to be as enjoyable. I've been using a urethane product to get a glossy finish but it requires a lot of maitanence. What do you suggest as a finish/protector?

Reactions: Robert Falzone

Willy P

Name
Willy P
20160328_133442.jpg
My problem is I have a situation where there's lots of concrete available for me to do with a larger property management company that I've serviced for 12 years now , but it's all stained or etched. The potential is substantial, but I'm such a virgin in this area that I'm reluctant. I pull 4ok a year out of this account, so I really don't want to eat crow there. This is what I've done , but it's all scratchy and needs to be resurfaced. The pic was of a condo where the floor was epoxy coated and just didn't have the flash the client wanted. I can make it shiny, but ......

And I really love making things shiny

Last edited:
Name
Robert Falzone
My new favorite finish is Formula 404 from Sentinel Products. It acts like a high end concrete guard but it's priced like a high end floor wax, and it even works on ceramic. I've had clients give me rave reviews over how this product has held up. It even worked on a notorious strip club stage and held up against all the high heels etc. I put some on a ceramic tile outside my office door over a month ago and it still looks great. It will set you back $178 for a 5 gallon pail and is available from Aramsco Interlink.

Formula 404.jpg

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom