Scrubbing with Stripping Pad

djdmaze

Name
Andre
Does anyone prefer using a solution tank on a buffer over the traditional mop method? Last night I scrubbed a daycare vct with degreaser and a black stripping pad.

Can you use a black stripping pad to scrub vct? I’ve done it before using the traditional mop method (bucket of clean solution, apply w/ mop, then buff) and that classroom floor turned out great!

However last night I had a disaster. After buffing the front lobby (least amount of foot traffic) once I made it to the play area, I started getting black streaks while buffing and this black almost paint-like substance began to be left behind instead of the soapy/dirty suds one would pick up with wet/dry vac.

I had to do a bunch of extra mopping and with pressure to wipe up the black stains. I simply forgot about flipping my pad so I have no idea if that black “guck” soley came from buildup and me not switching pads? I only did about 500-600 sq ft before the guck appeared.

Could my solution tank dispensing solution through the top of the pad to reach the floor cause the pad to die out into floor and solution causing the “black guck”?

Or could it simply be me using the wrong pad in the wrong situation? Maybe stripping pads should not be used with solution tank?

Im thinking of just returning to traditional mop method because I like to let my degreaser sit for 5 min before scrubbing. Even though it sucks bringing an extra bucket along, I think this solution tank has been causing problems for me.

Attachments

• 820121B2-BE2F-4AF2-AC23-2BB58C0DB97A.jpeg
    820121B2-BE2F-4AF2-AC23-2BB58C0DB97A.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 382
  • 0D3F0AC2-D82E-435A-8A4D-8F90CC571200.jpeg
    0D3F0AC2-D82E-435A-8A4D-8F90CC571200.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 345

Louis

Supportive Member
Name
Louis
I use a black stripping pad on my auto scrubber but I just run this zep neutral floor cleaner in it. Then go over it with a high-speed buffer. I do a health food store every 2 weeks and it works great.

DAT

Name
Bill Cheryl
I never considered using black pad as scrub pad. In the past, blue was more than enough with quick job to scrub a layer off along with dirt. White pad or burnish with easy task or something.
Ive only started doing this again for some of my accounts.

As with any pads they need to be cleaned before using again for a cleaning maintenance on vct. Soak your pads in zep stripper or something and scrub it. Rinse and hang to dry.

There can be dye transer issue too..

djdmaze

Name
Andre
Thanks for the reply guys, I think it was the dye from the pad coming out into the floor. Im going to try putting my cleaning solution down with a mop application before buffing with green or blue pad.

Kenny Hayes

Name
Kenny Hayes
Black stripping pad is for stripping, not scrubbing. However, I’m sure the floor is not getting black from the pad. If you won’t to deep scrub, use a green pad at most, but then that usually requires a top coat replacement.
On a regular scrub a red is usually sufficient. Is there a reason why you use degreaser in lieu of neutral cleaner?

Name
Matt Ross
It's called a stripping pad for a reason. Use a cleaning pad(blue, green, ect) or if you want to recoat then you can sometimes get away with a black pad. You will leave swirl marks with some black pads on some waxes.
Degreasers arent the best floor cleaners unless you have a petroleum based soil on them. Use the right tool for the job.

djdmaze

Name
Andre
Black stripping pad is for stripping, not scrubbing. However, I’m sure the floor is not getting black from the pad. If you won’t to deep scrub, use a green pad at most, but then that usually requires a top coat replacement.
On a regular scrub a red is usually sufficient. Is there a reason why you use degreaser in lieu of neutral cleaner?

Thanks for all the replies. I used J Tempest Degreaser from Diversey. It has worked very well for me in the past.

The objective was to try to strip as many layers of wax as I could without using stripper. I had NCL no rinse stripper packed for the job just in case...however I did not use it. I stripped a break room and my water did not have enough neutralizer in it and my floor turned out yellow.

So I did not want to use a stripper or deal with the hassle or risk turning her floors yellow. Now I think if I would have just stripped it maybe I wouldn’t have had as much of a mess. Sorry, my title was misleading I meant “stripping with degreaser”.

It's called a stripping pad for a reason. Use a cleaning pad(blue, green, ect) or if you want to recoat then you can sometimes get away with a black pad. You will leave swirl marks with some black pads on some waxes.
Degreasers arent the best floor cleaners unless you have a petroleum based soil on them. Use the right tool for the job.

Thanks small town, so you think the marks came from wax? I’ve never had this problem before with putting my degreaser down for 10 mins with a mop, buff it, wet/dry vac up dirty water, apply wax. This is my first time using a solution tank so I thought it was the pad streaking the floor because the solution is being applied from the tank through the top of the pad vs the solution already on the floor with a mop.

So I ended up applying 3 coats of wax but it was difficult getting the streaks out. And please judge from the pics, i know first coat matters most but I felt some spots had a dark tone in the floor. It looks decent but I think I could have done better with a real strip job instead of scrubbing with black pad. Thats why my title is so, felt like my black pad did a deep scrub job only taking a few coats off.

Kenny Hayes

Name
Kenny Hayes
If you ever want to strip a floor without stripper, the spp #specialpreppad are the way to go. Also, I doubt the tank had anything to do with it. The solution tank is a good way to go, short of an autoscrubber.

Reactions: Bruce Humphrey

Matt B

Name
Matt Briseno
The degreaser is causing the black pad to loose its color on the floor. Use the floor products as recommended do using just what u have on the truck and try to make do as if it doesn't matter

Reactions: djdmaze

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom