SDS(Safety Data Sheets)

AdamDumphy

Name
Adam Dumphy
Anyone else have or keep safety data sheets on their van? We decided to follow the OSHA procedures in case we ever have a visit and all I can say is were about to go through a lot of ink in the printer....

Reactions: Living The Dream

The Great Oz

Name
bryan
The word Sodium Metasilicate written on the back of a Baconatir wrapper stuffed in the glovebox ain’t gonna cut it with OSHA
Two local guys got hit pretty hard recently. The one and two half guys company paid $3k, the ten truck company paid $16k. The owner of the ten truck company appealed and had to pay additional fines and court costs.

• Wow
Reactions: Mikey P and FB7777

J Scott W

Name
Jeffrey Scott Warrington
I didn't think we could use digital yet in the State's?

there is no specific regulation that says "yes" or "No" to digital format. The rule is that it must be "readily available" to the driver. Many have interpreted this to mean with-in reach of the drivers seat. Digital copies are becoming more common. No one has said that is not acceptable. But make sure your phone or tablet is charged.

Hack Attack

Name
Dan
Two local guys got hit pretty hard recently. The one and two half guys company paid $3k, the ten truck company paid $16k. The owner of the ten truck company appealed and had to pay additional fines and court costs.
I had a mishap awhile back that had a commercial traffic officer crawling through my van and paperwork..

He let me off with a warning for not having it up to date. But made the comment that had I been an employee or had I sent an employee out without the proper docs he would have laid charges

Old Coastie

Supportive Member
Name
Stephen
I had a mishap awhile back that had a commercial traffic officer crawling through my van and paperwork..

He let me off with a warning for not having it up to date. But made the comment that had I been an employee or had I sent an employee out without the proper docs he would have laid charges

Jumped up little Napoleons.

DAT

Name
Bill Cheryl
Is sds required to have with with even when you don't have employees?

Name
Jeff T
If you carry chemicals in you’re work vehicle (be it a van, truck, car, or flipping scooter), it’s law that you must have SDS with you.
If you’re vehicle catches fire, they want to know what they are putting it out with, won’t have an adverse reaction, and spread it, or make it explode....

Reactions: Hack Attack

DAT

Name
Bill Cheryl
Cool. I have the binder for the chems sds, i didnt realize that it should stay with me.. now i know.

Hack Attack

Name
Dan
It will change from country and for you guys possibly within states.

Here, I'm allowed to carry 50 litres combined but no more than 20 litres of a single chem as "goods of trade"
The sds have to be kept either on drivers side dash or in drivers side door as emergency workers will only look there and nowhere else

If I want to carry more than 20 litres of single product or more than 50 litres combined, I have to have dangerous goods tags

Private vehicles here can carry no more than 5 litres of any chem, if you have 2x5 litre jerry cans in your car you're breaking our laws

Last edited:

The Great Oz

Name
bryan
Not by OSHA. They don't care about Owner/Operators. That should make you feel all warm and fuzzy.

Things are different in Canada. Canucks can be fined for carrying an empty Baconater wrap.

There may be some highway transportation rules that apply if you carry anything your State deems hazardous in the quantity you carry. Most likely not an issue for you, but it might be good to look at the SDS for stuff you use, just to know what you're working with. If you don't carry anything horrible, having the SDS' on hand might shut down an over-officious jerk before he can waste too much of your time.

Reactions: DAT

DAT

Name
Bill Cheryl
Not by OSHA. They don't care about Owner/Operators. That should make you feel all warm and fuzzy.

Things are different in Canada. Canucks can be fined for carrying an empty Baconater wrap.

There may be some highway transportation rules that apply if you carry anything your State deems hazardous in the quantity you carry. Most likely not an issue for you, but it might be good to look at the SDS for stuff you use, just to know what you're working with. If you don't carry anything horrible, having the SDS' on hand might shut down an over-officious jerk before he can waste too much of your time.
I thought that was the case. Although, i like the idea of keeping sds on me in case of any serious accident such as fire. I wouldnt want to make the fire brigade job harder. Carrying naptha and oxidizer along diesel would be so much fun to put out...

Hack Attack

Name
Dan
the fire brigade get quite excited when you tell them, theres 20litres of petrol, 20litres of hydrogen peroxide and 10 litres of solvents inside the van thats smoking...

Reactions: DAT
Back
Top Bottom