Seawater flood damage

Hack Attack

Name
Dan
Not a restoration job I'm working on but one I know of.
High tide combined with cyclone meant coastal flooding of property, other than tear out of carpet and pad what basic procedure would be followed?
Saltwater residue would give weird moisture readings I'm sure? They've been there a while drying it out (over 2 weeks) maybe they're squatting lol?
Any thoughts from anyone?
@Desk Jockey

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
Where did the water enter from? All ground?

Wet drywall, insulation should be removed and cavities pressure washed, then dried. Pay special attention to built-ins, kitchen, bathtubs and such.

Anything the salt contact should be washed and dried. The salt will be corrosive long term if left unattended to.

Hack Attack

Name
Dan
Yeah all tidal wash so ground entry, dont think they did the pressure wash. They did the tear out then focused on getting it dry and its the salt residue stuffing them up I think? I only do small restoration haven't had to do a cat3 I get stressed if its taking more than 3 days to dry

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
When they get hit bad there is much more wet than a typical water loss. It will take longer to dry even if they remove the wet materials. The structure takes on more moisture plus you're fighting the wet conditions outside. It might take them a while to gain control of the situation.

Onfire_02_01

Name
Jeremy Gray
I am assuming that a house would be similar to cleaning a sunken boat. All the electrical would have to be stripped out. Fabrics at best may be washed or thrown away. Sheetrock and other absorbants would be thrown away as the impregnated salt would continue to absorb atmospheric moisture. The remainder would need to be washed down with fresh water. Finally the structure would need to be dried down.
With the salt in the water you could think of the house as one big urine stain that would need treating (because of course urine is heavy in salts)

Reactions: Desk Jockey

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
I would be concerned about exposed metal but I believe the wire should all have plastic sheathing on it. I think a good wash down of the metal and maybe a spray of WD40 would suffice. A wipe down might be necessary if there is a lot of gross material there following the wash down. ???

Onfire_02_01

Name
Jeremy Gray
I would be concerned about exposed metal but I believe the wire should all have plastic sheathing on it. I think a good wash down of the metal and maybe a spray of WD40 would suffice. A wipe down might be necessary if there is a lot of gross material there following the wash down. ???
Yes the wire has a plastic coating but it isn’t water tight. Water can travel up the wire and corrode the wires someplace that is covered.

Brian H

Name
Brian H
I had firsthand exposure to the difference between freshwater and saltwater damage. 2 weeks after Hurricane Irma hit the Florida Keys, my dad and I went to inspect his place on Big Pine Key. (Thankfully he was in Michigan when it hit.)

My dad's place had 3 feet of seawater in it from the storm surge. The surge ruined his place but 2 weeks after the storm, there was no mold at all!! We couldn't see nor smell anything. A place across the street from him that is up on stilts had rain water blow by the seals in a door. There was mold everywhere including ceilings and walls.

The Great Oz

Name
bryan
They get chlorine out of salt water, so that must be what kills the mold.

Jeremy on Bryan's computer. :icon_twisted::icon_twisted:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom