Self stick carpet protectors

steve_64

Going to look at a job Monday possibly clean it too.
A construction company layed the clear self stick protector in some hallways. They left it for about a week. The instructions said good for 4 weeks. This was last year and when they removed the cellophane the carpet was discolored.

I haven't seen it yet and don't have all the details like type of carpet but I'm assuming nylon. Not sure why they don't put a claim against the product which I may suggest but my impression is they want it cleaned monday regardless.
I know its been discussed before but thought is ask if anyone has suggestions.
I'm going with a buffer and several types of pads and bonnets. The 15 inch crb. Releasit.
I have code red prozyme plus and ultra Pac extreme and p rochem all fiber rinse for extraction ready to go. I have other products like banes olefin Prespray tls 2000 pro choice extreme clean and other stuff.

Reactions: Living The Dream

Cleanworks

Name
Ron Marriott
Going to look at a job Monday possibly clean it too.
A construction company layed the clear self stick protector in some hallways. They left it for about a week. The instructions said good for 4 weeks. This was last year and when they removed the cellophane the carpet was discolored.

I haven't seen it yet and don't have all the details like type of carpet but I'm assuming nylon. Not sure why they don't put a claim against the product which I may suggest but my impression is they want it cleaned monday regardless.
I know its been discussed before but thought is ask if anyone has suggestions.
I'm going with a buffer and several types of pads and bonnets. The 15 inch crb. Releasit.
I have code red prozyme plus and ultra Pac extreme and p rochem all fiber rinse for extraction ready to go. I have other products like banes olefin Prespray tls 2000 pro choice extreme clean and other stuff.
I just did one similar to that. There was no discoloration, just a line showing clean from dirty. I used a Cimex and it blended it nicely. Can't tell the difference. If it's a true discoloration I agree with you in that they may have a claim against the product. Any rotary should work well.

Reactions: steve_64

Old Coastie

Supportive Member
Name
Stephen
Depends on the plastic and the adhesive. If it is the adhesive which is discolored, it will dissolve with a citrus solvent. Maybe take a bottle with you and try it out. Make SURE to be thorough! If not, the residue will attract dirt and you’ll be back in two weeks. Explain why this is an issue and charge enough to go over everything two times. Then leave them with some Releasit Punch made 2x strength in a quart bottle, and instructions to touch up as needed.

Reactions: Bob Savage
Name
Jeff T
I did one last summer, the resto company left it down for 7-8 weeks. The carpeting was cheap poly Berber. I vacuumed it first, and where the protective plastic was down, I could hear the motor struggling. I knew I was in for a challenge. I started with using pure D-Lim, sprayed down with a pump up... then used a 175, with red pad. Then presprayed, then extracted really slowly..... didn’t work.... they paid me to try again, which I did... and used the same process again, and was successful...

steve_64

Why aren’t you going to actually clean the carpet?
I was told about the plastic issue by someone other than the person who called to book it. He may have been exaggerating but made it sound as though it is pretty bad.

It got me second guessing myself.

BIG WOOD

MLPW
Name
Matt w.
I’m in the middle of this project with that adhesive on top also. The adhesive isn’t the problem. It’s what’s coming up from underneath that’s the problem. The diamond shapes wicked up.

The contractor told me they covered a VCT tile floor. I stopped and told him that I wanted to see how it looks after a week of normal traffic.

Name
jack zerkie
Yep me to the plastic was down for 90 days for the job with the doors open and lots of heat; I sprayed misted mineral spirits and used a orbot with a pad to release it, then extracted the carpets then finished with Ricks releasit . And everyone was happy. The lady wanted the carpets replaced but after the cleaning she was happy with the results. This was a tuff one due to the long time and mess from the job being completed. jz.

Reactions: Old Coastie

J Scott W

Name
Jeffrey Scott Warrington
Sometimes a color change simply due to clean vs dirty carpet. Sometimes the adhesive attracts soil after the plastic film is removed. Then the cleaning has to remove the adhesive.

There are also cases where the carpet or cushion or subfloor materials off-gas. These gasses are trapped under the film and react with the carpet dyes causing discoloration. This is unlikely with olefin, can happen with poly and triexta but not often. However, with nylon, wool or acrylic (blends) it happens more often.

steve_64

It was just some glue residue and improper cleaning by the staff. I'm back to do another building waiting to get in. Its on Notre Dame campus and security is tight here.

Haven't seen my results yet on the first building yet.

Reactions: BIG WOOD

steve_64

Had some wick back issue on first building. Was told the carpet was cleaned 5 times alread. I had used code red in the 175 and a grey pad of ricks then wander it with p rochem all fiber rinse.

Today we wanded with just the rinse because I forgot a vacuum then used bonnets and the 175 with Releasit. Hit the first building again with the buffer and Releasit.

Bob Savage

Name
Bob Savage
Depends on the plastic and the adhesive. If it is the adhesive which is discolored, it will dissolve with a citrus solvent. Maybe take a bottle with you and try it out. Make SURE to be thorough! If not, the residue will attract dirt and you’ll be back in two weeks. Explain why this is an issue and charge enough to go over everything two times. Then leave them with some Releasit Punch made 2x strength in a quart bottle, and instructions to touch up as needed.
Totally agree - Citrus Solvent (Gumolene or similar), somewhat diluted (rake or CRB it in), and then a thorough application of a de-foaming agent (rake or CRB it in) followed by a good HOT rinse.

Reactions: Old Coastie

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom