SELLING protector

Jimmy L

Name
Jimmy L
What is your way of introducing and closing the sale for protector add ons?

And how and what do you charge?

steve r

most of the time i just ask.if they say no i tell them i recommend it, after all i am the pro, especially with kids or pets.its my easiest sell. if i have to i explain how it helps vacuuming that usually seals the deal.

Jim Martin

Supportive Member
Name
Jim Martin
after/during my initial walk threw I hand them this paper and explain a little bit to them and ask them to read it and let me know after I have completed the cleaning if they want it or not....................

protector.jpg

it will sell about 70% of the time.........

Steve Toburen

Supportive Member
Durango, Colorado/Santiago, Dominican Republic
Name
Steve Toburen
Man do I hate it when Pork Butt is so succinctly correct. To sell more (much more) protector all you have to do is ASK FOR THE ORDER.

Island Boy (leaving his paradise tomorrow to eventually arrive in Portland, OR, which Yeadon assures me is a beer drinker's paradise- so I am not too devastated.))

PS of course, if you want to refine your techniques you can be little more refined than the Alabama Porkmeister. I'll post more (maybe much more) later. Be afraid, Sutley, very afraid ...

Jimmy L

Name
Jimmy L
Marty , the simpler they are the more complicated it is?

GRHeacock

I agree- most of the time we fail to ask for the business.

The same applies to cleaning rugs, upholstery, drapes, tile, and other things we can do.

"Would you like me to take that rug in and wash it?"

"Would you like me to clean that sofa while I am here?"

Etc.

If you want a raise in your income, you have to do this.

Nobody is going to do it for you.

Gary

Weebco

Name
Gary Wiebe
When you least think the customer does not , or will not purchase protector, they will.
I sold protector the other day. This is what I said, do you want protection on those carpets? He said after a pause, no , then another pause, then he said to me , do you really think I need it? I said, of course, makes your carpet easier to vacuum, easier to get spots out because it beads up on top.
So then he said to me, go ahead and do it.

Very easy to sell protector, you just have to ask every single time.
No matter what you think about your customer's response will be. Weather you think they can afford it or not. Or whatever other negative feelings you might have at the moment, you have to ask to get the sale.
The biggest problem is what we think. not what they think.
So ask, ask, ask. And if your forgeting to ask, you are leaving $$$ on the table. And that is just dumb!

Steve Toburen

Supportive Member
Name
Steve Toburen
Short, pithy (pissy?) cut to the chase version for Marty:

1. There is nothing more profitable to sell in this industry than protector. Applied cost runs 3 to 4 cents per foot and we have many members getting 20 to 25 cents and remember- you have (hopefully) already covered your overhead with your base cleaning price.

2. Two key words: "re-apply" and "renew". Re-apply for a previous customer, renew for a new one, as in "would you like me to renew the Scotchgard protection today".

3. More and more of our SFS members are including the protection as one (high) price with the cleaning. It is always easier to come down than up.

4. Biggest single reaon techs don't sell more? Fear of rejection and assuming the customer can't afford it or won't want it. Second reason? We as owners book them so tight they don't have the time to sell it, much less properly apply it. Third reason? their bonus up-sell schedule isn't high enough to make it worth their while. I always suggest the following to each SFS class and some members have done it with great results:

a) Increase your SG pricing by 30%.
b) Double your tech's commission schedule on SG.
c) Book one less job per day and give them more time per job.

Result? The tech isn't as tired plus makes more money, customer is happier because the job is better and not as rushed and YOU make more money.

Mt 15 cents per foot net profit's worth,

Steve Toburen CR
Director of Training
Jon-Don's Strategies for Success

PS If you want the long version (eleven pages to be exact) for the non-pork farmers who don't move their lips as they read all you need to do is write me at stoburen@homefrontsuccess.com and ask for my e-mailed "Up-selling on the Home Front" Special Report. I guarantee it will be worth what you pay for it since it is free! Plus I think it is some of the best stuff I have ever done. But that is just me talking ...

Steve Toburen

Supportive Member
Name
Steve Toburen
I forgot to mention the single best way to sell more protector? (Besides just asking? Thanks Marty.) Include a free 12 month "Spot and Spill" warranty with the application. customers LOVE this and less than 2% will ever have you come take care of a spot.

Steve Toburen CR
Director of Training

PS All the details are in my previously mentioned Special Report.

Alan Meter

Great advice Steve.

A method that has worked for me is to be sure I am by the kitchen sink when I am writing up my work order. Make sure you have thought ahead to have a blotter card for you favorite brand of protectant. I have one for COBB CARPET'S ULTRA SEAL and SCOTCHGARD.

After I have gone through all of my pricing and procedures with the customer I ask them if they would like me to re-apply the factory fabric protection? I also like Steve's wording of "renew".

Then, before they can answer, explain the benefits to the customer. i.e. resist stains and soil. Better success in future cleanings. Extended carpet life...Blah, blah,blah.

I then ask the customer to watch a demonstration in which I pull out a blotter card and run the treated and untreated side under the kitchen faucet and point out that the water on the treated side was not able to penetrate the fibers.

Then the big question. "Is this the kind of protection you would like to have me apply to your carpet (or upholstery) Mrs. Smith.

And then wait for their reply. It works.

Steve Toburen

Supportive Member
Name
Steve Toburen
You are absolutely correct, Alan. "Show and tell" is a great sales tool. But let me tweak your concept just a tad. Instead of using boring old water almost invariably the customer would have coffee/ juice cups sitting in the sink with just a tad of residue at the bottom. (as in just enough to do the residue test.)

Using the customer's "staining material" added greatly to the credibility of the demo.

Steve Toburen CR
Director of Training

PS Not to be a broken record but it is all in my Special Report. Good night, everyone.

Alan Meter

Great idea Steve. I'll try that.

I guess your SPECIAL REPORT is new to me. What is it about and how do I get it?

Larry Cobb

Name
Larry Cobb
Jimmy;

My customers who are most successful in selling protector, use a special fast-dry solvent version of our UltraSeal.

1. They ask the customer for a paper towel, and then treat it with the fast-dry Ultraseal protector.

2. They then explain the benefits to the customer for a minute or two and by then, the paper towel is DRY.

3. Hold the paper towel in a cupped hand and pour coke or coffee into the center of the towel.

4. Show the customer the repellency and then dump the staining liquid out into the sink.

5. Have the customer examine the towel to prove no liquid wet the surface and that the protector did not affect the hand of the towel.

It makes a believer out of the customer. Ask if they would like that type of protection on their carpet or fabric.

It's offered with free freight this month also. 8)

Larry Cobb
Mikey Board Supporting Member

Steve Toburen

Supportive Member
Name
Steve Toburen
You are correct, Larry. The "spray the paper towel with solvent based protector" is really dramatic. But (at least with my techs) we found it was a little complicated and the Scotchgard blotter cards are just so simple. We had problems getting our guys to even do the simple stuff!

Steve

PS I only use the "Scotchgard" name as an example. The techniques we've been discussing and the others found in the Special Report can be used on any brand of protector, even your "Ultraseal", Larry!

PPS Frankly, many times you don't even get to the blotter cards because the customer says "yes" before you can ask if they want a demo. Once again, that Alabama feller was right. Ya just need to ask and most don't.

Alan, just write me at stoburen@homefrontsuccess.com and ask for the free Special Report. Just like Larry, I give "free freight". (Actually I think there is free freight on our protectors too but I never stay up to date on that stuff.) :)

marko

give this a try.
take a clean empty bottle of your product in with you when you go in for the meet and greet, place the product (bottle jug etc.) on the counter and proceed with the area walk through with the customer. during or after the time you are cleaning the customer will read the label and the conversation can be does this stuff really work, how much and not at this time or bingo.
humans are curious critters by nature and alot can be said for the 'curiosity got the cat' line.
ever watch a movie and see a prop and think ok I like that hmmm how much where can i get me one ?
let the product sell itself. if the maker of the product has done their job creating,producing and wording the label in a format that answers most if not all the questions all you have to do is try to look intelligent. and that's a tough row to hoe for folks like me....

radkins

We use Steve and Jim Pemberton's ideas to sell s/g. Blotter cards, place on the invoice for price and customers signature if they decline and a one year spot and stain warranty.

It's working great.

We charge about $20. to protect the traffic area in a room under 200sf.

hogjowl

Idiot™
I'd just forget and leave that $40.00 bottle of protector there.

So, I'll just simply keep asking.

My lips are tired from reading all of IB's posts, so I'm going back to bed.

floorguy

Supportive Member
Name
Doug
ill read the rest later......

YOU ACTUALLY PUT FECES FROM BUGS ON THAT PAPER??????? :shock: :shock: :shock:

I dont care who you are, thats just funny

-JB-

Name
JB
We put a PS on the bottom of our confirmation letter that says "Have you considered Scotchgard? It really works!" This way after we do the cleaning, all we have to ask is would you like it SC today? 80% the time it's a yes! $$$$$$$$$$$$$.

I have a few points for those of you that don't promote it-

1- All you need to do is ask, not push, it sells itself.
2- If they say no, NEXT! don't waste your time trying to persuade them, they all ready made their mind up. Just get to the next job and ask them, they'll probably say yes.
3-Next time you feel "too uncomfortable" trying to "sell" SG, just look at it this way
a- Your house payment
b- car payment
c- insurance
d- cell bill
e- insurance
you get the point, one of those is harder to pay, cause you simply didn't ask one simple question

"Would you like SG today?" It's not that hard once you start doing it.

ruff

Name
Ofer Kolton
Four points:
1)Water based protector if applied properly according to manufacturer's dilution instructions, will take quite a while to dry and cause the client some inconvenience. Sometime we think that the hassle for the client and having them associate the cleaning with that inconvenience is not worth the extra $$.
2) The solvent based protector does not dry that fast, if it is OMS based, it may take the full 24 hours to completely evaporate. Also it is quite toxic to the person applying and to the home owner till it evaporates completely.
3) Teflon has been proved to be toxic to animals and found in most human beings bodies, in lab studies. (NO, not DuPont's studies.) Brings up the question: Are we there just to increase profit or to help our clients have a healthier home?????
4) Steve, I thought that good carpet cleaners should charge for their work and not have a "BASE" price which will be jacked up or will be "upwardly mobiled") Charge a good $ for your work since you provide a good cleaning and you will not have to up sell.
And yes, one more thing, if you treat the client right, do a good job, have their best interest in mind, they will come back. Most clients are smart and they do get it.[/b]

Steve Toburen

Supportive Member
Name
Steve Toburen
Some good information above folks. I especially liked the post that John Burris did re: how to push yourself on selling SG. :) Those cell bills/ car payments/ mortgages, etc can be quite "motivating". Speaking of motivation ...

I've never met a technician (or a technician's spouse!) who did not feel they were underpaid. So why not let the tech "earn his own raise" by giving him a generous bonus for SG sales while of course making a great profit for yourself?

The problem with giving someone a dollar an hour raise is it is not tied to increasing profits AND in the event of reduced sales/profits the tech will not want to give it up. But if you can say, "Charlie, sell 200.00 per day of SG and at our 20% bonus you will give yourself a 5.00 per hour raise based on an 8 hour day." Everybody wins with this scenario and it moves accountability to where it belongs- the employee. I love it.

Steve Toburen CR
Director of Training

PS I too have always instinctively worried about introducing major amounts of solvents in a topical spray into the customer's home. I'm not a technical guy like Big Billy Yeadon but emotionally and odor wise I am supposing the customer might have some concerns.

Steve Toburen

Supportive Member
Name
Steve Toburen
Speaking of "Aqua Gard", Terry, many customers could understandably be suspicious when they see you spraying a clear, odorless, "water-like" liquid on their carpet that is costing them 15-25 cents a foot.

One way we suggest overcoming this doubt is to use the actual Scotchgard factory labeled container which is designed to screw right on to your in-line Power force sprayer. You get the correct dilution without mixing and it is highly efficient.

But most importantly, you are answering a huge Unspoken Question in the customer's mind- "Is he going to just spray water on my carpet like the last carpet cleaner, that Viking fellow?" :)

Steve Toburen CR
Director of Training

PS Let me stress again I am not in love with Scotchgard. (we sell Teflon too) BUT 3-M (with Jon-Don's help) has come out with a huge array of in-home promotional items to help your techs sell SG and most of the stuff is free with any SG purchase! Combine this marketing help along with the millions 3-M has invested over the years in building brand awareness and Scotchgard brings a lot to the table. (I don't receive a penny in commissions on anything Jon-Don sells.)

floorguy

Supportive Member
Name
Doug
sooo solvent or water based???

and about how long does that add to the dry times???

rgerard

I just wanted to add my thoughts to this post. Scotchgard also smells a thousand times better that Teflon Advanced. We carry both and a quick drying solvent for light colored upholstery.

If your customer cares enough about her items that you are cleaning, you are doing a disservice by not giving them a chance to have it protected. When I offer protection they are usually most appreciative of this technology and love the demos I show.

Be your customer’s hero! Offer protection and use it according to its directions.

RandyG
O/O
Someone TN

BTY; Teflon has a free success video in the last clean-fax issue. They sent a survey and free patches when I returned it.

Steve Toburen

Supportive Member
Name
Steve Toburen
Well said, Randy. I always told my techs, "Always give the customer the OPPORTUNITY to spend more money with us."

Steve

PS Or as my mother always said, "It costs nothing to ask." Boy could she be pushy. (Which I don't recommend. High pressure is always inapropriate on the Home Front.)

Back
Top Bottom