Seriousley.......WTH....

Larry Cobb

Name
Larry Cobb
Jim;

As a distributor, I have to ask a few questions.

1. What do you think is a fair price on the 1/4" ball valves ??

2. That will determine the quality level of the ball valves you receive.

We buy the inexpensive Italian chrome ball valves for most of our customers.

http://www4.cobbcarpet.com/zen/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=68&products_id=4102

We also have the Parker yellow handle ball valves, which do have a better design on the handle support.

The valve below is a step above the Italian ball valves, and rebuildable:

http://www4.cobbcarpet.com/zen/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=68&products_id=4289

There is one step above these in ball valves, but the handle is too easy to catch on wall corners.

We use one of these in 1.5" for our HX exhaust bypass:

http://www4.cobbcarpet.com/zen/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=68&products_id=4891

In general, the decline in quality of merchandise is due to poor quality imports from China.

No distributor is immune to this sourcing trend, but the good ones will minimize it.

Larry

Last edited:

Mikey P

Administrator
A ball valve that should last a year with some occasional high pressure use should cost no more than $25.

In a perfect world.

Dan

Supportive Member
Name
Dan
Circle-seal.com. The 95 series is made with viton seals and SS303 material which is stainless steel. Rebuildable too.

SamIam

Name
sam miller
I order the ones from interlink with replaceable o rings all brass and they get super hot and never completely stop the flow, They suck! was getting the glued blue handled ball valves from Joe but he switched to a gas type ball valve foster recommends.

The red handled one is way cheaper and works great and last better then the all brass crap from interlink.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Dan

Supportive Member
Name
Dan
I order the ones from interlink with replaceable o rings all brass and they get super hot and never completely stop the flow, They suck! was getting the glued blue handled ball valves from Joe but he switched to a gas type ball valve foster recommends.

The red handled one is way cheaper and works great and last better then the all brass crap from interlink.

different manufacture i believe and brass sucks.

SamIam

Name
sam miller
different manufacture i believe and brass sucks.

The one I was talking about cost a lot less and works great. Just ask Bob foster!

of course I got mine from Joe! its better then the Italy made one easy.

I just figured Jim may skype with Foster and get the low down.

Giorgio

Name
Giorgio
I purchased the USA made 3000 psi rebuildable ball valve from my local Interlink recently. Paid a premium for too!

It lasted a grand total of 3 weeks.

Unfreaking believable!!!

Bet you I can get at least 22 days service out of them cheap $2.00 ball valves from Harbor Freight

Jim Martin

Supportive Member
Name
Jim Martin
quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by Larry Cobb
Jim;

As a distributor, I have to ask a few questions.

1. What do you think is a fair price on the 1/4" ball valves ??

I want it to last...if I have to pay more for it that's fine with me...still be cheaper then every time I turn around having to buy more crap...

2. That will determine the quality level of the ball valves you receive.

I am all for quality parts...just don't feed me that " you get what you pay for BS "...that is just an excuse for someone to add a extra lock washer somewhere and say it is better..then jack the price...

No distributor is immune to this sourcing trend, but the good ones will minimize it.
Like I said...its you guys that are going to take the biggest hit...if this industry is going to start putting out garbage then we will be forced to start buying our products else where....it a vicious circle.....admit it or not...distributors depend on us to pay there bills..just as much as we depend on there products that the sell us.. so we can do our jobs and pay ours.........

Last edited:

Jim Martin

Supportive Member
Name
Jim Martin
The one I was talking about cost a lot less and works great. Just ask Bob foster!

of course I got mine from Joe! its better then the Italy made one easy.

I just figured Jim may skype with Foster and get the low down.

You figured wrong.....I have not talked to foster since he left here and I have never use Skype........

Scott Rogers

I have been using the red handled one too 6 mos now no issues. 8.00 from amazon.com
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0086QTYPW/ref=oh_details_o00_s01_i01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Now WestPak soft touch valves, thats another story. Cant get 2 months out of them, then they dont stop spraying.

Name
BradFenstermaker

Lance Golden

Name
Lance Golden
these...

econo-ball-valve_ah56_sm-1_zpsef659995.jpg

they use to last me a easy..6 to 8 months.....and now they don't seem like they like pressure anymore.....and they went from a plastic..shut off knob..to a heavy metal one....you so much as look at this thing crossed eyed and the screw snaps and the shut off knob breaks off.......not to mention...metal and tile are not a good combination....if you lay this thing down and it moves just a little across a tile floor it will leave a mark that is a bitch to get out........

where do you get yours.........

Jim I get the same ones, I think it was Joey suggested... 600psi rated from Ace or Lowes...

Also EVERY carpet cleaner should carry "Mr. Clean magic erasers" they will remove those marks from the tile easily.
Also to take care of touch ups on corners, (yes I use corner guards, Just admittedly not on every job)

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni
I've tried them all from the be$t (supposedly) to the cheapest ChinA makes
None last any more or less longer than any ...even the cheap ones , which "I" get good life out of.
and they suffer PLENTY crew abuse
I should note, it's rare we're ever over 600 psi

Buy a dozen $6-$8 dollar ones from HD or Lowes .
replace as needed ....just like QDs and windshield wiper blAdes, they're a wear item and a cinch to replace anytime, anywhere

..L.T.A.

Reactions: Ken Snow

Jim Martin

Supportive Member
Name
Jim Martin
Distributors take note........in the short time this thread has been up.......and all the responses......99% buy there products outside the industry because they work better......

this is money out of your pocket.....

SMRBAP

Supportive Member
Name
Anthony
those suck.

Really? I have had good luck with them. . . . I get at least 8 mo.s out of them, and my guys abuse the heck out of them, they are probably drug 600ft each day when the lines are rolled up bc the chimps can't walk the lines out and back.

I have used the ones larry suggested, with the T handle, much better as long as you never drag them, or the handle comes out quickly. Great for an OO, imo forget it if you have employees unless they want to keep pliers in their pocket.

End of our lines already have qd, inline, solution end, and fittings to adapt, I want small, light, and as durable as possible. The smaller versions of 2" ball valves are too heavy and stress the line when rolling too much (when they are drug-n-rolled).

So far those yellow handled guys have been good enough, low cost enough, that I haven't worried about switching.

Jim Martin

Supportive Member
Name
Jim Martin
I've tried them all from the be$t (supposedly) to the cheapest ChinA makes
None last any more or less longer than any ...even the cheap ones , which "I" get good life out of.
and they suffer PLENTY crew abuse
I should note, it's rare we're ever over 600 psi

Buy a dozen $6-$8 dollar ones from HD or Lowes .
replace as needed ....just like QDs and windshield wiper blAdes, they're a wear item and a cinch to replace anytime, anywhere

..L.T.A.

true.......but if I am only going to get less then a week from my windshield wipers because they are built like crap....I am going to start looking elsewhere for something different...because I can't drive my truck in the rain unless they hold up.........not to mention...what it is going to cost me every time I have to pull over and change them out....

Giorgio

Name
Giorgio
After checking my receipt i got less than a week use out of this valve before it broke.

Total cost after taxes $61.53

i'm not gonna waste time rebuiding it or arguing with the local who sold it to me why they should refund it.

I'll get my valves somewhere else for now on.

IMG_0309_zps5df24bbc.jpg

http://youtu.be/3oXGbVqfFMc

John Olson

Name
John Olson
The o-rings are only a couple of bucks. These valves last a
long time for everyone else. These are standard on Prochem hoses that come with the machine. I checked your picture to make sure it was installed right and it looks to be going the right way. If you still have it send it to me and ill put new o rings in it

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni
true.......but if I am only going to get less then a week from my windshield wipers because they are built like crap....I am going to start looking elsewhere for something different.

I don't know what PSI you run at, nor how many times a day you change tools ...
But I'm telling you, NONE of them last us any longer regardless of price .
We get 400 hours or more out of the HD/Lowes ones

Those silver ones with black plastic handle at 2 and three times the price from CCing disty/suppliers are straight up junk and didn't last as long as the Chinese HD/Lowes valves

stop searching for unicorns and head to the plumbing section at HD

as far as blue safety QDs...i STRONGLY disagree with Olson about them being junk "recently" (in the last couple years)
They're were JUNK 15 years ago too..I never got more than a month or two before they started leaking

..L.T.A.

Jim Martin

Supportive Member
Name
Jim Martin
I don't know what PSI you run at, nor how many times a day you change tools ...
But I'm telling you, NONE of them last us any longer regardless of price .
We get 400 hours or more out of the HD/Lowes ones

Those silver ones with black plastic handle at 2 and three times the price from CCing disty/suppliers are straight up junk and didn't last as long as the Chinese HD/Lowes valves

stop searching for unicorns and head to the plumbing section at HD

as far as blue safety QDs...i STRONGLY disagree with Olson about them being junk "recently" (in the last couple years)
They're were JUNK 15 years ago too..I never got more than a month or two before they started leaking

..L.T.A.

It not a unicorn issue it is a quality issue... I have used the same type of both valves and quick connects for years.....in the past they would last me months before they wore out and I had any problems......now if they last a week I am feeling lucky....

and Olson is correct.....because until they changed them over...they did a great job....at any PSI I choose to use...as many tools as I needed to change....it did not matter....

I've never expected any thing to last forever....but I do expect them to at least last longer then a week.........I am going to check out the hardware store this weekend........and then on Monday if time allows I am going down to the local hydraulic shop and see what they have.......

joey895

Supportive Member
Name
Joey J.

I don't know. I didn't get more than a couple of months out of that one. I rebuilt it once and got another couple months but its just not worth the hassle when for $7 i can buy one locally from home depot/Lowes and get a year from it.

You do need to put a dab of super glue on the nut that holds the handle on though or that nut will back off.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Reactions: Dolly Llama

floorguy

Supportive Member
Name
Doug
i hate when you replace your main female.....

it doesnt like the other males that much :eekk:

seriously though...

Larry Cobb

Name
Larry Cobb
Last edited:

Ron Werner

Name
Ron Werner

That's the critter, the red butterfly valve. Mine doesn't come with the nipple unfortunately. Been using mine for at least a year or more. Been so long I don't remember when I put it on. I carry a couple spares (two is one and one is none :biggrin: )

Jim Martin

Supportive Member
Name
Jim Martin
About a week after I posted this Brian C from Tampa... AKA...Boazcan sent me a valve....I installed it right away and replaced all my male and female quick connects with stainless steal ones........

6 months later...still using the same valve that Brain sent me and the same quick connects......no leaks...not a single problem...
Thanks Brain...these are great shut off valves......

P9270947_zps4880a402.jpg

Able 1

Name
Keith
The yellow valves last a while, and are WAY better then black ones.. I get like 2 weeks to a month out of those. I am now using "foster valves" and they have been the best I have used..

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom