Setting Hg's on new equipment

SamIam

Name
sam miller
I was talking to Tim Baker Prochems West coast rep. about this and He said most installers set it at the machine.

He said they should set it with a 100 feet of hose.

Have you guys readjusted yours with hose to get the most out of your machine?

dgardner

Name
Dan Gardner
Afraid I don't agree with Mr Baker on this one.

The vac relief is there to protect the blower (and, I suppose the waste tank from imploding).

The vacuum is set with the inlet capped, i.e. no air flow. If done with hose attached I presume the hose end would be capped.

If the hose has no leaks then there would still be no airflow, so it would make no difference at all.

If the hose has leaks, then you would have to crank the relief tighter to get the required vacuum. But then if something plugged up at the machine you wouldn't have the hose leakage and your vac would be too high.

Imo....

BIG WOOD

The Timminator
Name
Matt w.

The vac relief is there to protect the blower (and, I suppose the waste tank from imploding).

The vacuum is set with the inlet capped, i.e. no air flow. If done with hose attached I presume the hose end would be capped.

If the hose has no leaks then there would still be no airflow, so it would make no difference at all.

If the hose has leaks, then you would have to crank the relief tighter to get the required vacuum. But then if something plugged up at the machine you wouldn't have the hose leakage and your vac would be too high.

Imo....
I see your point, but with capping off 100ft of hose, you're giving the blower a little more time to reach it's max, which will increase suction, vs capping it off right at the machine

FredC

Village Idiot
How much time does evacuating <10 cubic feet down to 12-16hg add (close to same vol as most waste tanks)?

How does the additional time increase suction?

Do guys with bigger waste tanks get more suction?

Last edited:
Reactions: dgardner

dealtimeman

Everyday is Saturday.
Name
Michael
the safety is that they are set to 13hg. So setting to 100 feet from the truck would only increase the atm setting to 13.5 maybe, would have to test to make sure.

Smaller waste tanks "feel or create a feeling of better suction" as the vacuum is pulled or generated , faster as there is less volume To extract.

I would do as originally said in first post. Set it 100 feet as long as warranty would remain in full effect(get it in writing to make sure)

FredC

Village Idiot
If the hose has leaks, then you would have to crank the relief tighter to get the required vacuum. ...

During normal operation wouldn't said leaks provide airflow decreasing HG and delay the opening of the relief? Tightening at capped off/full hg have no effect?

dgardner

Name
Dan Gardner
My thinking was if the relief were set with the machine inlet plugged, say to 13, then you hooked up a hose and capped the end the measured vac would be lower if there were leaks, causing you to tighten the relief to get back to 13.

Of course during normal operation the hose wouldn't be plugged and the relief wouldn't come into play.

I think we're saying the same thing?

Reactions: BIG WOOD and FredC

SamIam

Name
sam miller

Imo....

I get what your saying about protecting your investment, but I would guess most O/O would feel a decrease in airflow and suction and investigate any loss. Not leaving the machine to implode!
giphy.gif

Reactions: dgardner

dealtimeman

Everyday is Saturday.
Name
Michael
Any small leaks in the cuffs for us is a good thing on the big trucks as we can't use all of the airflow thru the wand, you might as well have a bit of air leaking thru the cuffs to be able to carry the water to the tank.

Name
Noble Carpet Cleaners
Capped off at the machine. And I suggest every cleaner check their machines regularly and learn how to make the slight adjustment that it takes. Then every several hundred hours ask your shop to check it against a test gauge, making sure the machines gauge is accurate.

Ron Werner

Name
Ron Werner
I have a Bayco relief on mine. It goes off at 15" regardless of length of hose.
Doesn't matter what hose you have attached, if your relief is set for 13 it will of off at 13.
Cap it off at the truck, then set your vac. When you're working with a water claw you're getting your max vac ALL the time. Its there, as said, to protect your blower and your recovery tank. If you have a strong enough tank, set it at 15. If not, set it at 13 or 14.

Reactions: SamIam

SamIam

Name
sam miller
They probably are looking for less wear and tear and have it last longer most PC 405's go over 10,000 hours, hard to beat that math!

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom