Setting off carbon monoxide detectors

alazo1

Name
Albert Lazo
I thought I posted about this a while ago but I guess not.

I've had this happen on a number of occasions. Today was another one. TM exhaust is about 10' away from garage. Hoses through garage into home with 2 doors closed just enough to let the hoses in. Exhaust pipe on my tm is slightly angled. Some of the tm's I've seen have it shooting straight out.

Does this happen to any of you?.

Albert

XTREME1

RIP
Name
Greg Crowley
I have done it. If you have room on your truck get an exhaust hose at sears or almost any autoparts place and redirect your exhaust

Rex Tyus

I have no evidence to back this up. It is purely a guess. However I think false alarms are more than possible when cleaning. Once my van was parked down wind with the tailpipe on the opposite side of the van directed in the opposite direction from the door. I was parked with engine running the entire time I set up. No CO alarm. I was cleaning a POORLY ventilated foyer with a co detector in it. When I was about half way through the prespray process the alarm/detector went off. I still think it was a lack of oxygen and high humidity that set it off. NO WAY was my exhaust entering the doorway. But it only happened once so I really can't say with any certainty.

TimP

Never had it happen.....I doubt many rednecks in my area even know what one of them fancy detectors are even for.

Able 1

Name
Keith
In 3 years I have set off 4... It usually happens when I'm pulling hoses out of the house. I didn't have any this year though.

John Buxton

I set off a fire alarm once in a 4 story parking garage when cleaning a condo. The entire Indianapolis hook and ladder company showed up but I hightailed it out of there before they found out I did it. rented a Ninja and went back the next day.

maker

I've had it happen more than once. Even in instances when it seemed impossible for the exhaust to get into the residence. The times I remember I fairly close to the buildings and thought it might have something to do with the vibration of the machine running triggering something in the detectors. Just a guess though.

KevinL

Supportive Member
Name
Kevin Leach
I try to never go through a garage door because the large area leading in to the inner door seems to suck outside air in along with the co2. Especially if another door or window is open.

Steve Toburen

Supportive Member
Durango, Colorado/Santiago, Dominican Republic
Name
Steve Toburen
HELLO OUT THERE! The problem is not "setting off carbon monoxide detectors". The problem is sickening or killing our employees and/or customers. For example ...

http://www.cbc.ca/canada/edmonton/story ... -deer.html

Just google "carpet cleaner carbon monoxide" for a wake up call. I received mine over twenty years ago where my employees were cleaning a three story house with the truck backed up in the driveway. The customer went to the store and left her garage door open without telling my people. The exhaust gases entered the house, both employees got sent to a hyperbaric chamber on a Flight for Life plane and one is still on permanent disability. The doctors said if the mom had not taken her kids with her they very likely would have died.

Steve

PS The carbon monoxide problem is severe enough that last summer we included a procedure, "Avoiding Carbon Monoxide Dangers" in our TIPS mailing for SFS members. Anyone who wants the pdf of what our members received (and hopefully read, implemented and inserted in their Operations Manual!) can e-mail me at stoburen@homefrontsuccess.com Just put "Carbon Monoxide" in the subject line.

10 feet from the door is very close back up and be safe.......they went off for a reason. Had one of my guys go green one time he back to close the door also lucky It didnt kill him.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom