sharpen the blades

Ron Werner

Name
Ron Werner
Bob Foster has been on me about my logo/look and asked me to get honest opinions from others, well, he "told me". haha He mentioned 3 names, darned if I can remember who to call out. Bob, list them for me please.

Anyway, What is your honest opinion about my logo/look and its "up-to-dateness"/effectiveness?
I've got a new cube van with blank sides and I need to put a message on it.
Shoot from the hip.

Thanks

below is the logo and how I've been using it

rhyde

Name
rhyde
you make a living off it don't you It’s not that bad some of your add stuff like your old biz card was too wordy to me.

At least it’s not something like clown carpet cleaning ..now that would be creepy

Bob Foster

Scott Randall
Jeremy Sweetland
Jim Martin

and anyone else who wants to constructively critique YOUR logo/graphics stuff and not just talk about theirs unless they are using theirs or another one as an example and specifically why it's better.

Scott

Lemme take a peek at it tonight and draw up some ideas.

Just so I'm clear, what specifically is/are your question(s) about these items?

Scott

Jack May

That Kiwi
Name
John
Bob Foster said:
Scott Randall
Jeremy Sweetland
Jim Martin

and anyone else who wants to constructively critique YOUR logo/graphics stuff and not just talk about theirs unless they are using theirs or m as an example and specifically why it's better.

You could add Wayne Millar to that list as well.

John

Ron Werner

Name
Ron Werner
Scott said:
Lemme take a peek at it tonight and draw up some ideas.

Just so I'm clear, what specifically is/are your question(s) about these items?

Scott

Apparently the logo/name/look is too out of date for today's market.
Just looking for evaluation.
Is it worth hanging on to? tweaking the logo? getting a totally new logo? ...??

Scott

Whew, I almost spent a bunch of time going over your pieces in fine detail thinking you wanted them critiqued.

Yeah, it sucks Ron. Change it.

All kidding aside, it does draw attention, and it does show what you do, but does it resonate with customers or does it turn them off? I think most adults have heard of a "Mr. Happy", and it has nothing to do with professional cleaning. But, maybe your clients don't think of it that way or mind.

Have you asked their opinion? If not I would.

Scott

Ron Werner

Name
Ron Werner
Of the last 7 or 8 people I've asked about it, most don't mind it. The women like it and the couple of guys I've asked said it could be updated. The "Mr Happy" came about because my clients couldn't remember my name but they could remember Happy, so they would just tell someone to get "that happy guy". I only started to use it that way this spring when Craig Jasper was talking at MikeFest and I realized that it could be a 'trademark' or whatever that word is where its in everyone's home. I've just kept it light and told people to "remember to get Happy". I've been using it as my catch-phrase in BNI.
I guess one of the main reasons I like it is that it keeps it light, rather than everything so serious and "professional" to the point there is no personality.
I know my ads are wordy, but the $50 off flyer pulled in 10:1, even up to last month.

Scott

Ron Werner said:
Of the last 7 or 8 people I've asked about it, most don't mind it. The women like it and the couple of guys I've asked said it could be updated. The "Mr Happy" came about because my clients couldn't remember my name but they could remember Happy, so they would just tell someone to get "that happy guy". I only started to use it that way this spring when Craig Jasper was talking at MikeFest and I realized that it could be a 'trademark' or whatever that word is where its in everyone's home. I've just kept it light and told people to "remember to get Happy". I've been using it as my catch-phrase in BNI.
I guess one of the main reasons I like it is that it keeps it light, rather than everything so serious and "professional" to the point there is no personality.
I know my ads are wordy, but the $50 off flyer pulled in 10:1, even up to last month.

Excellent, Ron. You're doing what most people don't do and that's ask their clients how they (the company) can be better.

The "trademark" term you're looking for is "Brand". Jim Martin has a great brand in "Beyond Clean". I like to think we do too as I've surveyed enough customers to know. Fon Johnson's "Dr. Cleangood" is another fantastic brand, as is Hagopian, Aero-Dry, and Chavez. I know I'm leaving out a bunch but you get the idea.

A brand's purpose is twofold: 1) to be remembered, 2) to be talked about (in a good way!). If your brand can do these two things, you've got a successful brand.

I'm not a big fan of cartoons unless they're a caricature of something memorable about the brand. (Wizard, for instance) When I look at your logo I think smiling before I think happy. I'm not good at design elements and can barely draw a stick figure, so I turn to my graphics girl whom I've been working with for years when it comes to physical components of the mental image I'm trying to portray.

So, take it or leave it, but my advice is to take your idea and bring it to a graphics person who understands design. Check out a few and be sure to look at their portfolios before choosing one. Asking an architectural designer, for example, to create a human-like image may not return the result you're looking for.

I say good job on asking those who matter most - your paying clients. More importantly congrats on being consistent with your message because the long haul is where the biggest payoffs occur.

Scott

Jeremy

Name
Jeremy
Ron, I don't want to hammer on your materials... but you asked for it. LOL I hope this helps.

Yeah, it sucks Ron. Change it.
I mean.. Mr Happy :arrow: :D

I know you asked specifically about the logo... Scott has that right.... But it's not about the logo as much as the message in marketing. Keep it focused on the customer as opposed to focused on your company... Contact info should be prominiently dispalyed in a memorable way... A new logo may help with that.

Off the top of my head...The stair stepped text under "your carpets & furniture" alignment gives me a headache & is a bit difficult to read...

I think over all you're listing features of your company rather than benefits for your customers... I could care less about what associations you belong to as a consumer. I want to know if you can solve my problem.

I would trade all the "company bio" stuff for a few lines of copy & testimonials. I'd also make the list of services available either smaller or shorter and how this helps the customer.
Example:
Carpet Cleaning
Let us help you fall in love with your home again. No one brightens a room up faster than Happy Cleaners. We'll have your carpets clean fresh & brighter with no hassels & minimal interruption in your daily routine. We'll even have your carpet dry in 2 hours or less.

Also, rather than discounting your primary service why not discount the upsell of tile & grout cleaning or protector? $50 off of what you went out there for is $50 out of your ticket ... $50 off of the "extra" is probably another $50 on your ticket.
Alignment on the gift certificate is an issue as well... Resizing a few things could solve that with no headaches. Text size should be fairly uniform.

HAPPY Carpet Cleaners

Just looks funny to me....

The business card looks more like a flyer but overall not bad. Just remember there are 2 sides on the card. This is an introduction not advertisement. All the "extras" can go on the back. Keep it clean & simple when possible.

Wayne Miller

Name
Wayne Miller
I like the basic concept, I think it compliments your style and it sounds like it's been working for you. I don't think I'd jump into a complete overhaul but I do think you could simplify it. I also share Scott's talent with a pencil, I have trouble drawing my own name, but I bet a good artist could give it a more up-to-date feel and bring out its essence in a dozen or so brush strokes.

Bob Foster

I forgot a few good people that I think might offer Ron some constructive advice

Wayne Millar can we have your help? (and anyone else)

Eveyone is really doing your best to help you Ron and this not about anyone in particular being 100% right. Call it a Mikey's Board version of Extreme Business Makeover - you got the truck make over now DO THE REST!

rhyde

Name
rhyde
Ron, what do you want to do with this business grow, add trucks & employees or stay small retain existing clients?

Ron Werner

Name
Ron Werner
My goal is to grow and maintain a successful, very profitable owner/operator business.
Most of my busn has been built on reputation/word-of-mouth over the last 14yrs.
Actually, my clients are just as impressed with just the new white truck :wink: not to mention wowed when its almost dry when I leave.

-JB-

Name
JB
ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ

Larry B

Name
Larry Burrell
Ron

If you have built your business with that smiley guy as your logo and business is good then leave it.

Its all about branding and if the people in your area know that smiley guy is you then thats all that matters.

Fon Johnson

I think that the happy guy is a little disturbing.. LOL Seriously, everytime I see it I think of the episode of Seinfeld; the one with the sunshine carpet cleaners. I would do something different with the logo, but play more on WHY are we the happy cleaners! I would focus on how we are happy meeting a challenge, cleaning, doing what others don't do, and most importantly... we are happy when YOU are happy!

Ron Werner

Name
Ron Werner
Just did a few updates on my website. Just bought SiteSpinner, very easy to use WYSIWYG software for $54, quite powerful to. Right now I've linked the new to the old.
Going to play with it a little, change the look, layout, links etc. I've got a lot of great examples to glean from.

A lot of people do recognize that funny happy face.
Comes down to a combination of being branded/recognized (the name/logo/signage etc) as well as respected as a professional (the work performed-the results).
Never to proud to change.

Bob Foster

Ron, don't you get it?????????. Do not change your website until you see the results of the Extreme Makeover.

Bob Foster

Us Kanuks also mispell a few other words like colour. That is correct in the Queen's English.

rhyde

Name
rhyde
Bob Foster said:
Us Kanuks also mispell a few other words like colour. That is correct in the Queen's English.

The English word colour is a derivative of the Latin word color with color being the correct spelling Color NOT colour so it's the english that F'd it up!

Ha,Ha you misspelled it and didn’t realize ....Ignoramus :lol: thats why i try not correct other spelling mistakes

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom