Shear Dry upholstery cleaning tool by Rotovac + DryMaster 3

ruff

Name
Ofer Kolton
I actually liked the Shear Dry upholstery tool by Rotovac, that I saw in M. Fest.
The tool had good flushing ability, yet when lifted off fabric it over sprayed. Not good!

Any feedback from Rotovac as per solving that issue?

I also liked the dry Master 3. Any feedback from users as per the quality of its everyday performance? Durability?
Also I was wondering how long the valve knob and valve last. I don't know of any problems with it, just worried if it will last, as it looks a little flimsy. And since the DryMaster 1 (yes, I own one) lacked in that department, I'm definitely concerned about it.

Last edited:

The Great Oz

Name
bryan
Ofer,
The Rotovac tool only oversprayed when the valve was opened too far. You didn't notice me opening the valve every time you turned the tool toward your face? :twisted:

We have to replace our first-gen DriMasters too, as it no longer makes sense to keep replacing worn out heads. We've had one of the new DriMasters in use for for several weeks now, and the first tech to use it says he sees no issues and wants to keep it.

We just bought a Sapphire tool for comparison and we'll let our techs decide which one they want.

ruff

Name
Ofer Kolton
Please keep your hands off the valve.......I'm having a hard enough time doing one thing at a time to pay attention to unwarranted mischief :winky:.

And keep us informed.

Did you order the Rotovac tool?

Not that it applies to your company (god forbid), however, most technicians will choose the tool that is the easiest to use not necessarily the one that does the best job. That's how a POS vacuum cleaner like Oreck can truly advertise it as the one most preferred by hotel maids. Yep. Vacuums diddly squat. Gives them no back ache.

Last edited:

ruff

Name
Ofer Kolton
Mike, I'd love to try it more thoroughly.
Can I pay for shipping and buy you lunch, dinner and or brownie points?

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
I'd like a plastic hydrokinetic tool. Use the head of either of those tools but put the face of the HK tool on it.
I was less impressed with the Hydrokinetic after seeing it at MF10. It look like it would do great on flat areas but appeared clunky and awkward for curves and edges. Cool tool but we wouldn't use it enough to justify its purchase.

Last edited by a moderator:

ruff

Name
Ofer Kolton
I'd like a plastic hydrokinetic tool. Use the head of either of those tools but put the face of the HK tool on it.

I share Richard's conclusions and I know that the Hydrokinetic has worked well for you Ron.

It is too heavy and cumbersome. Can't reach tight areas & curves, not very maneuverable, very hard on the wrist. And too wide space at the edges that do not have any water going through.
If they could fix these issues it will become a very good tool, as it flushes really well.

Otherwise I would only buy it if I was a volume upholstery cleaner (kind of like a production line). One person will clean all the flat area with the Hydrokinetic (high production) and another person will deal with the harder to reach areas.

Last edited:
Reactions: Desk Jockey

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
They are close on it but as you mentioned Ofer, too much excess material on the head.

I'd like the head to be smaller and without the excess material. If I had a lot of fabric panels to clean it would be an excellent choice but with the curves and trim on upholstery, I'm afraid it would just sit in my upholstery tool bone yard.

J Scott W

Name
Jeffrey Scott Warrington
Thanks for the comments on the Hydrokinetic. I will pass them along to our engineer. Redesign will be a future project.

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
Scott, please don't take them wrong. Its a very cool tool but could be so much better without all the extra width that seems to serve no purpose. I think smaller would also be more convenient while also reducing weight. As I said for flat surfaces like tapestries, fabric wall panels it would work excellent. I even wonder how well it would do with fringe. The curves and trim, I'd switch tools to catch.

Thanks so much for bringing the tools for us to use at MF10. Much appreciated! :icon_cool:

Reactions: Mark Saiger

ruff

Name
Ofer Kolton
Thanks Scott.

Please whisper (lovingly if you will) in the engineers' ears, that it may be highly beneficial to pass it by and talk to cleaners that actually use it on a daily basis.

ruff

Name
Ofer Kolton
What Richard says PLUS:
It is too heavy and cumbersome. Can't reach tight areas & curves, not very maneuverable, very hard on the wrist. And too wide space at the edges that do not have any water going through.

Head is a little too thick.
If you can arrange another jet (maybe on the back or I'm not sure how) that will allow for easy and effective misting that will be totally awesome.
If they could fix these issues it will become a very good tool, as it flushes really well.

Reactions: Desk Jockey

ruff

Name
Ofer Kolton
Yep.
The jet in the cleaning chamber if contained and does not over spray when tool is off the fabric, will not be able to mist uniformly and effectively and will most likely cause large drops.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom