She’s finally dry

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
No worries we didn't do a good job, we did a GREAT job.

Scott it comes down to several things one being communication.

Express your concerns and what your plan is, get the home or building owners but in or do it their way but have a "refual of recommendations" signed. Experience, this ain't our first rodeo, we've been doing this for decades. Top down drying works great for interior drying, I'm afraid I'd be a little squeemish in court trying to explain why I didn't open up an exterior wall. As far as contaminents in the walls, yes there should be a concern. Ask questions has it been flooded before? Was it dried professionally? I would always error towards caution, setup air scrubbers.

Meters, you need to meters to confirm it's dry. A thermal camera helps a lot to narrow down what looks to be wet. Then using non destructive and penetrating meters yu can confirm what's supposed to be dry, is dry. Nothing will buckle if it's truly dry,if you have areas of concern that are holding more moisture than your dry standard then they have two options, tear it out or monitor it for a while and see if dries. If not it has to come out.

Don't guess it's dry, know it's dry. Inspect, inspect, inspect.

Name
Scott
Doc,
Thank you. I have all the meters and monitor constantly. Thanks for the tip on refual of recommendations. We usually just put on the invoice and in emails back and forth that we recommended one thing and they chose to do another. Do you usually recommend replacement of carpet on water damages due to the fact that they will no longer have a warranty on their carpets?

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
I can see where a homeowner might want that replaced but no, we do not recommend replacement. However this is the time to make a decision so that we don't dry something that is going to be replaced anyway. They will save a little if we tear it out now but tear out has additional labor for contents manipulation, cut up, bag up and carryout. We don't care either way but if torn out we want to be sure it is done knowing that once it's cut there is no going back.

I'd have an attorney write you up something that complies with the laws in your state.

Last edited by a moderator:

Steve Toburen

Supportive Member
Durango, Colorado/Santiago, Dominican Republic
Name
Steve Toburen
I can see where a homeowner might want that replaced but no, we do not recommend replacement. However this is the time to make a decision so that we don't dry something that is going to be replaced anyway. They will save a little if we tear it out now but tear out has additional labor for contents manipulation, cut up, bag up and carryout. We don't care either way but if torn out we want to be sure it is done knowing that once it's cut there is no going back.

I'd have an attorney write you up something that complies with the laws in your state.

Be careful, Richard. With well thought out threads like this one you may lose your hard-earned reputation as an internet slacker who never does any work!

Steve Toburen
www.SFS.JonDon.com

PS Richard just saved you W/D folks a whole lot of money with his legal template above. But you STILL need to run it by a local attorney. However, having a lawyer "review" a document is a LOT cheaper then having them "invent" one. And then USE it- especially with these massive disasters you get in a hurry and want to "help" people. (Well, and make money too!) But don't let someone else's problem become your problem. (Don't ask me how I learned this one.)

Last edited by a moderator:

steve g

Name
steve garrett
drilling through the vinyl cove base I have never actually thought of that, but you are very much right if you go yanking that base its probably going to jack up the wall paper and or the paint. no matter how careful you are in at least some places. although I personally would like the base out of the way because its more difficult to dry the rock with something like that covering it especially if its 5/8" the other thing is if there was damage before that wasn't dried properly and they pull that base to replace it and find mold it could look bad on you. pulling the base insures that whatever was prexisting is seen right then. but every job is different and sometimes it even depends on the nature of the people you are working for as to the right thing to do.

Askal

RIP
Name
Al
It may be unique to Oregon but my waiver also has a clause that limits my liability to the charges incured. Other than that a good waiver IMHO Richard. Awesome job for the customer.
Al

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
I seen that too Al not sure why we didn't get that included in our's, maybe it doesn't fly in Kansas?

Ed Cross worked with a KC attorney on this for us.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom