Should I have done it for free?

Name
Evets
My State Farm Agent buddy had a small water loss at his personal home. It was 1 room, and took 3 days to dry the carpet in place. I invoiced the job using the same pricing that I would for anybody, then gave him a 50% discount. He didn't make a claim.

He sends me all of the claims that come thru his agency.

Should I have done it for free?
Here's something to consider; he has 5 of MY vehicles insured, and 7 of my properties insured, and I'm pretty sure I'm not getting any special discount from him.

Now, should I have done the job for free?
Should I have charged full price?

Jim Pemberton

MB Exclusive.
Name
Jim Pemberton
I think it would send a bad message to do it for free. He's a business professional and would expect you to behave likewise.

If I were him, I'd be uncomfortable accepting the free work, and would worry about my standing with my company if it was found that I accepted such a gift.

The discount was more than generous.

A wise country boy from east Tennessee once told me:

"Jim, don't you ever do nothin' for free. But if do, expect to pay for it later"

His advice was among the best I have ever been given in my life.

Jack May

That Kiwi
Name
John
Good advice (as usual) from Jim.

I often do small bits and pieces for adjusters etc but it'd be very rare for me to do a total freebee.

Often a 25% discount and drop something in conversation to the effect of 'cost' (regardless of where you cost is in relation to the job) and that lets them subtley know that you're looking after them without unnecessarily making money off them.

Everyone understands that businesses have costs and if you start giving too much away, it makes them suspect of your operations.

John

Larry B

Name
Larry Burrell
Since he works for State Farm he may not have let you do it for free. Chances of someone finding out are slim but State Farm has rules for agents on this kind of stuff.

You would be hard pressed to find another company with as many rules over employees as State Farm has covering theirs.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom