Should I Put My Picture On Website?

Farenheit251

On the one hand I think it is just vanity and ego of the owner, but on the other hand I think people like to get an idea who is coming in their home and the bar is set pretty low for carpet cleaners. If I did it I would probably kneel down behind my 5 year old and 2 springer spaniels to soften the picture and hide my Gill gut.

Name
Bill Soukoreff
If it is like this one, then NO!

Me2.285123026_std.jpg

Sorry Rickie, I could not resist. :twisted:

billyeadon

Supportive Member
Name
Bill Yeadon
Yes most definitely. People like to know who they are dealing with. Most people love helping support small family businesses. This is what differentiates you from the big corporate owned franchises.

I recommend your picture on your business cards also.

Good luck,

Bill Yeadon
Jon Don
www.strategiesforsuccess.com

Jay D

Name
Jay D
Just in case you look like most carpet cleaners they can airbrush pics and alter them too..... :p

rhyde

Name
rhyde
If your pic resembles a prison mug shot or a sketch of a “person of interest in a felony” then no.

Wayne Miller

Name
Wayne Miller
Absolutely. Like Bill said, people like to know who they're dealing with. If you appear friendly, approachable and professional they're more likely to perceive you as friendly, approachable and professional. If they perceive you as more friendly, approachable and professional than your competition they're more likely to call.

Here's my buddy's standard issue real estate card,

dale_bc_b4.jpg

Now you can put a face to the name,

dale_bc.jpg

Does the pic create a better impression? Hopefully, it does.

Same is true with a website.

Incidently, it's worth paying a professional to take it for you. Tell them how you want to use it and make sure you get the rights.

Do you have all your teeth? Do have a grill? Good teeth helps especially in Alabama....

Seriously yes I plan to add some family photos on my web and ads.

Cameron1

admiralclean said:
If you show you have all your teeth, then they think you're too high priced, in Bama.

Have your banjo with you when they take that picture...........You'll be a big hit

G

Seriously Brian,yes you should,maybe next to your nice van ect.I gave my son my stair tool years ago,and had my wife take a picture of us while he was using it.Women loved it,and you know where most of our business comes from :D

Jim Williams

Name
Jim Williams
It helps to eliminate some of the fear of using you. Remember you are dealing with mostly women.

And don't use a picture of yourself in cut off jeans flexing your tricept like some of the YP hacks around here.

RandyHilburn

When deciding what to wear in your photo, another good idea is not to wear clothes with extra wide stripes.

Farenheit251

I'm going to do it. Probably with me holding the wand and my little guy with the GH stair tool. Thanks

truckmount girl

1800greenglides
Name
Lisa Smith
I'm going to buck the crowd here. I'm NOT a fan of family pics on the website or advertising pieces. For one thing, it limits your growth. The person in the pic is expected to show up at every job. Second, it allows people to pre-judge you before you ever speak to them, which can work against you more often than for you. Third, it's not necessary, and not the information I'm looking for when hiring a cleaner. I don't care what you look like, what your wife and kids and dogs look like, what color your skin is, if you are bald or curly headed, if you are skinny or fat, above all I want someone who is trustworthy, reliable and MOST OF ALL knows what he's doing and has the equipment to do the job well. I'm not going to get that from a cheesy picture.

Men on the other hand, LOVE pictures. They make judgments and valuations of people based on looks far more than women do. Women don't care about the exterior nearly as much as men.

So, my advice, forget the personal photo and fill it with something humorous and catchy. Women LOVE to be made to laugh. it puts us at ease.

Just another perspective....from a woman.

Take care,
Lisa

Wayne Miller

Name
Wayne Miller
What fun would it be if we all agreed on everything, eh, Lisa? I gotta ask you, though, did you ever not buy a bird with Perdue on the wrapper because you knew Frank didn't prepare it personally?

Is Mrs. P really gonna say, "Oh, I love this guy, he's the best carpet cleaner ever. But, now he has an employee so I'm gonna call someone I don't know if I can trust!"

We're carpet cleaners, not mail-order brides. You'd get at least one shot at getting it right. She already know's what you look like. If you lose her she's a casualty of growth, not of a pic on your website. Most reasonable people understand growth and will request you if it's important.

You may not have a choice of who shows up to clean your carpet, you always have a choice who stands behind it. Lot's of business happens based on the positive reputation or perceived reputation of the owner.

And, you're right, some people judge harshly based on appearance alone, I'd argue not most. Some folks have no business putting their best face forward. But, if you clean up nice you've got nothing to lose and everything to gain.

We've had quite a few people call simply because "you look honest," "nice," or "trustworthy." Even our nephew, the big bald, sweaty guy..............with the million dollar smile.

cdp5x7.jpg

As intimidating as he can look, his customers absolutely adore him. His smile and personality are a hugh asset. If you have what people love in person there's an excellent chance it'll come across on your web site in your smile.

truckmount girl

1800greenglides
Name
Lisa Smith
My favorite commercials:

-e-trade baby, especially the one where he spits up.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6vW9gUmooFg

- Swiffer, where the broom drops his towel outside the patio door. I even went out and bought a Swiffer setup for the house.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hKZg_qLi ... 1&index=41

- the AT&T commercials where the mom is upset with her family for wasting minutes it doesn't consider "new".

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mmIj7_0-1kg
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nuu3jdmXQ4Y
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KgFw7o5hQtc

I remember those companies and those commercials, I DON'T remember guys pics from ad pieces.

Make 'em laugh and you'll stand out. How many YP ads do you see with pics of family, technicians and babies and puppies....boring and common. Think differently than the pack to stand out.

Take care,
Lisa

Wayne Miller

Name
Wayne Miller
Thought he asked about putting his mug on his website............ ;-)

The swifter commercials are pretty cute.

truckmount girl

1800greenglides
Name
Lisa Smith
In my area there are about 25 electricians. A long time ago I needed the services of one. Not having used one before I looked through the YP's. Lots of boring ads, but one caught my eye: The name of the company was Doolittle & Sitmore Electric. Their tag line was "Your typical electrical contractors" They had a catchy cartoon style graphic of two electicians (one portly, the other thin, Laurel and hardy style) lounging on wire rolls. They also mentioned they were fully guaranteed, bonded and gave their contractor license #. Guess who I called? You got it. They came out, were great, did the job well and I will NEVER forget that company.

There were lots of other companies in that book, but for the life of me Doolittle and Sitmore is the only one I can remember. How powerful is that?

If I ever started another cleaning business I would name it 2nd Best Carpet Cleaning and my tag line would read "when you can't afford the very best", I'd have a red ribbon with the #2 for my logo and give the info the customer is looking for (services offered, guarantee, etc.) without too much text.

Take care,
Lisa

Greenie

Are we talking about Return custies, or new ones Wayne? Cause I was thinking Brian E. was referring to New customers via the web?

Cause for that example we might as well be mail order brides, they will pre-judge you.

And If I saw your pic from that card, I'd be looking for teh book of mormon to be read to me, not an estimate sheet.

People want genuine, down to earth normal people with a friendly smile......and yes a pet or kid in teh pic can be okay too.

Wayne Miller

Name
Wayne Miller
Absolutely, people are going to pre-judge you. You'll be scrutinized whether you have a picture or not. All the more reason to put your ivories on your web site. If you're clean cut and look like an honest sort it can only help put people at ease. If you look like an ex-con it probably ain't such a great idea. And, if you have employees, hire clean cut honest looking sorts and put their pics up too. This is a people business so do what you can to make yourself real and approachable.

Have you ever noticed how almost any product you buy either lets you see what's on the inside or has a representative image on the outside? People like to see what they're buying. If you've got a million dollar smile and you're photogenic, why hide it?

It's a given people want genuine, down to earth normal people with a friendly smile. Ever seen a friendly, more genuine, normal host of smiles?

family7-03.gif

It's from our website. Think it's costing us business?

No one ever accused me of looking like a Mormon. But, one long-time customer did say,

"When I saw how much you cared about how you looked I knew you were going to care about how my capet looked."

That's all I needed to hear.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom