ButlerFrank

Name
Frank Ellerker
IMG_5444.JPG
IMG_5442.JPG

Hack Attack

Name
Dan
Clean with a nuetral, crb, 500 psi, warm fresh rinse.

Re coat if needed.

Do not attempt to strip
You've got more experience on tile than me but just wondering why your recommendations?

On vct I'll always strip a topical if I don't know what the finish is, it doesn't happen often but incompatible finishes can look UGLY when they dry and are often harder to remove

Due to the porous nature of the tile are they hard to strip in one go?

ButlerFrank

Name
Frank Ellerker
Saltillo is extremely time consuming to strip. I charge $10 a foot to do so.

Heat, high pressure and high alkalinity will effect the "factory finish" on it very easily.

Dont try and be a hero on this one.

Oh I never had any intention of trying to strip this. I plan on telling the customer I can clean and coat with some Betco hard as nails and that's it. If they insist on it being stripped, I'll walk and let someone else deal with that nightmare.

ButlerFrank

Name
Frank Ellerker
Hard as nails is good stuff.

Let your conscience be your guide.

I've had good luck with it over the years. Have a dentist office that I strip and re wax once a year and it holds up pretty well. I finally sold them on having me come and clean & burnish every two months so I switched to the hybrid. Been about 10 months with that, so far, so good.

Reactions: Old Coastie

Mikey P

Administrator
They embrace the worm gut patina out west and in Methico

That particular floor has been butchard a few time.

Getting it down to the mud would be no easy feat

ButlerFrank

Name
Frank Ellerker
do you pre-qualify the custy that any dinge/crud in/on the grout UNDER the old finish(that stuff happens) will still look like rotting worm guts..only a little shinier?

..L.T.A.

Yes. I explained to the customer that I would only be able to clean the dirt off of the surface, that anything under previous coatings would still be there. He just wants the floor shiny? Said he had someone look at it before he was referred to me and they told him that they could clean it but that you couldn't put any kind of sealer on that tile.

Reactions: Dolly Llama

dealtimeman

Everyday is Saturday.
Name
Michael
The REAL PROBLEM IS even at 10 dollars a foot you won’t make any money if the Job is too small.

Then if it a real nightmare ( like some or most I see really are) then it is just take a mental and physical toll trying to get evenly down to the tile.

It does look nice when completely stripped and recoated with 8 coats but most look back and wonder why they started the job in the first place.

It only took me 1 job to know not to do it again and I have family the have it in their home and I tell them good luck finding someone who will do it right.

Reactions: ButlerFrank

dealtimeman

Everyday is Saturday.
Name
Michael
The floor in these pics doesn’t look bad at all.

As I don’t see any buildup, cracking or staffing of the existing finish or too much discoloration overall.

Reactions: ButlerFrank

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom