Should I send a letter or not.....?

Papa John

Lifetime Supportive Member
Name
John Stewart
about our price increases and decreased availability. Its challenging to operate a small business in this area and I'm thinking of being a O/O that is semi retired. I would be very selective of the customers I choose.

Big changes have happened in my business.
I had to terminate my highest earning tech, he was also biggest headache.

My remaining tech feels he can make more money driving for Lyft.
I don't think he is figuring in all his operating cost, nor his actual hour rate earned. I gave him a raise. He will still work part time.
His main gripe is our customers. Some are spoiled, demanding, disrespectful of our time, and price sensitive.
This tech is a nice, hard working man who fails to demand respect from the client. He is an easy victim for the Jedi Mind trick.
He hasn't learned the power of threatening to walking away from a clients job/home when they start to question the pricing.
I told him- when the customer says, "well That's not what you charged me last time"-- his response should be "yeah, its called inflation".

I had to answer the phones a few months back. I felt there was a disconnect between what the customer/caller expected to be quoted and what I need to charge in order to stay in business. I'm taking a lot longer to perform the work now that I've been infected/inspired by Saiger's OCD. :lol: And I deserve to paid more for this effort.

So, do a send this "whining" letter about our need to increase our prices or just handle it as the calls come in?

Reactions: Mark Saiger

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni
So, do a send this "whining" letter about our need to increase our prices or just handle it as the calls come in?

I'd handle it as calls come in
you can also start "cherry picking" them if your plans are to be a semi-retired O/op

you can be a hi-roller like Ofer ...minus the accent

..L.T.A.

Cleanworks

Name
Ron Marriott
I don't tolerate any negotiating with my prices. My prices are fair and are not the most expensive or the cheapest. This is made clear when making the appointment. I only move furniture I choose to move. I turn down price shoppers every day. When asked to do extra in a customers home, I charge extra. Learn to be firm with your customers and they will respect you. If you're wishy washy, they'll walk all over you. Give your tech firm instructions on every job.

ruff

Name
Ofer Kolton
.......... you can be a hi-roller like Ofer ...minus the accent
..L.T.A.
Duh.
Its the accent that enables the extra charge, WhoooopChukian. :oldrolleyes:

and......................what accent?

John, just raise it. Once you work by yourself the quality/charm etc. will be much better and there will be less issues with price. You will also enjoy it a lot more.

Good luck.

Papa John

Name
John Stewart
We got so busy in the last few months. Im wondering if the bottom feeders that were suppressing the prices starved to death or left the area.

• Haha
Reactions: Nomad74

Nomad74

Boy Sprout
I raised my min to $200 and also my sqft charge. It was a really good decision. The people that don't book with me because i'm too expensive are not worth the pain in my ass.

I had one lady call me today that wanted me to clean one room on the 26th. I was glad she didn't want to pay the minimum. She started begging me and whining that she is moving and needs the carpet professionally cleaned. No one else was willing to come out the day after Christmas. What the hell woman!

Cleanworks

Name
Ron Marriott
I raised my min to $200 and also my sqft charge. It was a really good decision. The people that don't book with me because i'm too expensive are not worth the pain in my ass.

I had one lady call me today that wanted me to clean one room on the 26th. I was glad she didn't want to pay the minimum. She started begging me and whining that she is moving and needs the carpet professionally cleaned. No one else was willing to come out the day after Christmas. What the hell woman!
Got to tell her to pay up or shut the hell up.

Mikey P

Administrator

MB has ruined you.

• Haha

bob vawter

Grassy Knoller
Name
bob vawter
My truck left at 8:30 AM and usually pulled back in 7 or 8 at nite...average ticket from
Low of 68 bucks up to 150 -two hunnert

Seven hunnert a day made me happy

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni
if it will make a few hundred

hell, I'd dress in drag for a couple hours if it paid a few hundred....

You will also enjoy it a lot more.

all but the physical labor part......
This job is hard on shoulders .

I'd rather dress in drag .
I do that part time now at Aldi for money.

a quarter a cart baby!!!

lta

steve_64

No letter raise your prices and slow down.

No need to dress or act funny just be confident and do a good job. They will pay.

steve_64

Will? People are changing their attitudes in the middle of the country. Not sure about the coasts. I was surprised I don't get much flack over my new pricing. I don't get all the bids but more than enough.

scotty747

I just did it again. Quoted over the phone and the guy says "well you should probably charge more than that. I wont hold you to it. "
165.00 for four rooms and a hall. Traffic only. 5 min away. And this was craigs list. Time to raise my minimum too.

Cleanworks

Name
Ron Marriott
I just did it again. Quoted over the phone and the guy says "well you should probably charge more than that. I wont hold you to it. "
165.00 for four rooms and a hall. Traffic only. 5 min away. And this was craigs list. Time to raise my minimum too.
Yep, $200-$250 depending on size. Always ask if they have stairs. They seemingly forget to mention them.

Papa John

Name
John Stewart
Send them over baby!
Once they hear my prices they crawl right back.

Not that John doesn't already do that.

I think with my capacity going from 9-12 jobs a day down to 2-3, it will be harder for people to find an exceptional carpet cleaner.
So this might increase the value of both of us, Ofer.

Reactions: Lee Stockwell

ruff

Name
Ofer Kolton
There are always new guys pricing at a loss, we've all gone through this many times.
We both want the good clients that appreciate good work. The ones who are not religious price shoppers.

The religious ones I send to Marty.

Mark Saiger

Mr Happy!
Name
Mark Saiger
Don't send the letter.

A minimal price increase won't shock your loyals... More sizeable price increase can sticker shock them but some maybe need to be weeded out.

Work on your business... Offer quality service and great customer skills and minty fresh breath... They will pay...

Reactions: Papa John

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom