Should Little Giants be banned from the industry?

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni
how about if they made a version that's actually designed to be in a vehicle?

by doing what to them?
what mods do you think are needed?

I don't know this, but figure the installation instructions provide minimum clearance specs .
If the manufacture's min clearance, installation and ventilation specs are met , wouldn't that make it compliant for use in..."wherever"?

of the billions of collective hours they've been used over the years, are there any data/stats that show they're a safety risk when "installed and operated" according to manufacture's specs?

If there are data that's statistically significant, I may change my mind
Otherwise, I'm not going to join the ban wagon

I'm personally not an advocate of banning products that have the potential for disaster and/or can't be "stupid proof'd without statistically significant proof they're a genuine problem when used "according to manufacture's instructions"

Otherwise, it's little more than emotionally charged, knee jerk reaction from those that suggest I shouldn't own a chainsaw or four-wheeler

Think about it....

..L.T.A.

Last edited:

Hack Attack

Name
Dan
I have contemplated adding an electric arc like Duane originally installed on the big get lost burner that my TM originally came with. (makes any LG look like a cigarette lighter)

It sparked constantly as soon as the pump clutch was turned on, so even if the pilot failed there was an ignition source to both reignite and stop any dangerous buildup

F

FB7777

by doing what to them?
what mods do you think are needed?

I don't know this, but figure the installation instructions provide minimum clearance specs .
If the manufacture's min clearance, installation and ventilation specs are met , wouldn't that make it compliant for use in..."wherever"?

of the billions of collective hours they've been used over the years, are there any data/stats that show they're a safety risk when "installed and operated" according to manufacture's specs?

If there are data that's statistically significant, I may change my mind
Otherwise, I'm not going to join the ban wagon

I'm personally not an advocate of banning products that have the potential for disaster and/or can't be "stupid proof'd without statistically significant proof they're a genuine problem when used "according to manufacture's instructions"

Otherwise, it's little more than emotionally charged, knee jerk reaction from those that suggest I shouldn't own a chainsaw or four-wheeler

Think about it....

..L.T.A.
Whether to ban or not is somewhat moot... sounds like most are running them illegally anyways ( including myself back in the day )

Like your chain saw and ATV example, it’s both a financial and physical risk cause I’m sure your insurance ain’t gonna pony up on a loss claim if you burn up your rig

To each his own... the ones that tout that it’s SAFE, are the same guys that wouldn’t put it in the hands of employees.

A bit hypocritical and arrogant if you ask me

Mikey P

Administrator
No vibration damping features utilized

No OEM venting options, " make it work or go to hell" oh and keep your flammable belongings away from all sides in that packed van why don't you

No OEM auto-ignighter- buggest issue right there. OSHA should shut down production.

Last edited:
Reactions: BIG WOOD and FB7777

Kenny Hayes

Name
Kenny Hayes
My little giant really does heat the water of my Bane to where it’s effective. It can get too hot to where it vaporizes. If I use it, which is in summer in second floor school cleaning, it’s in a trailer when I transport it. I do let my employees run it, so I’m not hypocritical🤷🏼‍♂️ Of course they gripe, but it’s just time.

Reactions: Mikey P

The Great Oz

Name
bryan
Waldo's POS LG nearly killed him yesterday.

Sure it Waldo but he's smarter than the average carpet cleaning idiot

FB_IMG_1570369734393.jpg
How did it almost kill him?

I see a burn mark on the van roof that looks like what occurs after years of exhaust cooking. Usually, cleaning the coils keeps flames from coming out of the exhaust, but if this is what happened, how did the heat go around the wooden shelf piled with plastic stuff?

We had LG heaters in the old days and aside from the usual knucklehead things guys did around propane, didn't have many problems with the heaters. We currently have one jetted for natural gas on our tack-out floor. Going on 25 years with only cleaning and replacing a few thermocouples for service.

Reactions: Acp and Cleanworks

Cleanworks

Name
Ron Marriott
The propane pipe that goes to the thermostat fell off ...poof!
That's exactly what almost happened to me. The swivel union came loose because of the broken mount. I just had a little flame coming out but would have been much worse if I hadn't caught it in time. That's what comes from being too fooken lazy to fix it and thinking, "just one more job". Taught me a very important lesson. One that I already knew but grew over confident on.

Reactions: FredC

Hack Attack

Name
Dan
No OEM auto-ignighter- buggest issue right there. OSHA should shut down production.

Having ran a system that had auto ignite I see it more as a convenience not safety

I think a lot of resistance to fuel burners is they will spank any $40k+ TM leaving the buyers and sellers of those units trying to justify themselves by criticising others

Reactions: Bob Savage

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni
No vibration damping features utilized

So idiots will think they NEVER have to check for loose nuts, chafed hose, etc while performing regular MAINTENANCE ?

No OEM venting options,

you sure they don't already have specs of what type, size and how to vent properly if wanted???

No OEM auto-ignighter- buggest issue right there

that one would be a great option

My first TM was propane (engine and LG)
I'd never go back....not for safety reasons, but PITA fueling reason

the re a fly in the ointment with them though.... is when the t-stat calls for flame, but the operator has no water flowing
...with no water flowing, it gets too hot before t-stat probe reads it and shuts flame off

apparently some haven't figured out that's WHY it's making steam....flame on and no flow
Perhaps TM manufactures should put a flow switch on like they do w/fuel oil burners

no flow, no flame

..L.T.A.

Cleanworks

Name
Ron Marriott
So idiots will think they NEVER have to check for loose nuts, chafed hose, etc while performing regular MAINTENANCE ?

you sure they don't already have specs of what type, size and how to vent properly if wanted???

that one would be a great option

My first TM was propane (engine and LG)
I'd never go back....not for safety reasons, but PITA fueling reason

the re a fly in the ointment with them though.... is when the t-stat calls for flame, but the operator has no water flowing
...with no water flowing, it gets too hot before t-stat probe reads it and shuts flame off

apparently some haven't figured out that's WHY it's making steam....flame on and no flow
Perhaps TM manufactures should put a flow switch on like they do w/fuel oil burners

no flow, no flame

..L.T.A.
That can't happen now. No flow, no flame. It's the incoming cold water flow that triggers the thermostat. If your water supply gets shut off, the heater will be on standby with the pilot light on. As soon as you resume flow, the heater will activate. Pretty foolproof as long as you do your leak checks and maintenance.

Reactions: Dolly Llama

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni
That can't happen now. No flow, no flame. It's the incoming cold water flow that triggers the thermostat. If your water supply gets shut off, the heater will be on standby with the pilot light on. As soon as you resume flow, the heater will activate. Pretty foolproof as long as you do your leak checks and maintenance.

Thanks Ron
It's been hunnert years since I used one
(27 years actually)

..L.T.A.

encapman

Name
Rick Gelinas
blow it out your azz, Rick
it's a fckin HACK method for dolts that can't clean carpet right

and for those willing to sacrifice quality in the name of easy profit

Larry, I think you got out of the wrong side of the bed today. LOL

Yes, my Cimex machines have generated a fabulous profit. And they've never caught fire. They've also produced tons of happy customers. And those customer's commercial carpets typically looked better than they had when they were cleaned with HWE. So I don't see any sacrifice in quality. Satisfied customers, and a rock-solid bottom line. I can't detect a flaw in that business model.

Mikey P

Administrator
Having ran a system that had auto ignite I see it more as a convenience not safety

I think a lot of resistance to fuel burners is they will spank any $40k+ TM leaving the buyers and sellers of those units trying to justify themselves by criticising others

Meh..
My Judson showed me the truth about LG's....

Temperamental at best.

F

FB7777

Yes, my Cimex machines have generated a fabulous profit. And they've never caught fire. They've also produced tons of happy customers. And those customer's commercial carpets typically looked better than they had when they were cleaned with HWE. So I don't see any sacrifice in quality. Satisfied customers, and a rock-solid bottom line. I can't detect a flaw in that business model.

Don’t pay attention to MeAthead capitoni, Rick

He’s been snorting drywall dust and saw dust for decades

His lungs and brain were prolly more clear when he was sucking on 2 packs of Camels per day

Mark Saiger

Mr Happy!
Name
Mark Saiger
I'm gonna go clean another resturuant now...

With my Butler...

It feels good to have my eye brows back since switching to heat exchanger units in 1987...

I just put my BBQ grill away yesterday too. I double checked to make sure the propane was shut off. This thread reminded me to check it. I usually shut off the propane after each use... Can't say the same with the family 😑

Stinking crazy amount of snow possibly on the way I am hearing 🙁

SmartSelect_20191007-184414_Facebook.jpg

Cleanworks

Name
Ron Marriott

Commercial carpet.

BIG WOOD

MLPW
Name
Matt w.
With your cold weather, I don’t see how it was possible to do a stress free job with the door of your van open with a slide in

Reactions: Mark Saiger

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni

Rick, your sales hawking on threads unrelated reminded me of Cobb
That's what set me off

but since you're here
I didn't stutter

what part of "it's a fckin HACK method for dolts that can't clean carpet right ", don't you understand ?

So I don't see any sacrifice in quality.

see above

And they've never caught fire.

good job Cobb
but I bet some have shorted out .
smoked wire insulation
I also bet more than a few cords have got trashed and caused problems

..L.T.A.

• Haha
Reactions: Jimmy L
Name
Jeff T
Sorry to say Mark, I think you guys are in for a brutal winter...

Reactions: Mark Saiger

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom