Should the Gold Mine rooms be open or closed

Gold Mine...Open or Closed?

• Leave all threads open for future discussion

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Mikey P

Administrator
We're curious if once a thread has been moved to it's "shelf" should it be open to be commented on?

Will you look in those rooms for re-activated threads?

I personally use the View New Posts feature and turn the whole board into one room.

It would be nice if any old thread from the Gold Mine rooms that became active would automatically be moved to the Clean Room again. As it is the Mods here will have to keep an eye on the GM rooms and move active threads back to the Clean Room.

Greenie

Opening them to current responses could be opening the proverbial can of worms....sometimes it's just best to let it remain, and if someone see a need to respond, START a new current thread in the Clean.

If you don't control it, i can see some old threads going sideways and losing value.

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni
Greenie said:
Opening them to current responses could be opening the proverbial can of worms....sometimes it's just best to let it remain, and if someone see a need to respond, START a new current thread in the Clean.

If you don't control it, i can see some old threads going sideways and losing value.

egg-zaccally

the Gold Mine is a "search" room.
In essence, it's a "library"
Not a discussion room.

There was and always has been too many rooms here IMO
It dilutes valuable info by spreading it all over.

Some guys never visit the other rooms because they have little interest or it's just a not a service they offer.
However, I'm sure there's a lot of info that would be useful...but if they never go there because 90% of the posts are a BORE to them, the info is missed

By putting all biz related topics in the clean rm, they very well may open a thread and learn or share

..L.T.A.

Jeremy

Name
Jeremy
meAt said:
Greenie said:

egg-zaccally

the Gold Mine is a "search" room.
In essence, it's a "library"
Not a discussion room.

There was and always has been too many rooms here IMO
It dilutes valuable info by spreading it all over.

Some guys never visit the other rooms because they have little interest or it's just a not a service they offer.
However, I'm sure there's a lot of info that would be useful...but if they never go there because 90% of the posts are a BORE to them, the info is missed

By putting all biz related topics in the clean rm, they very well may open a thread and learn or share

..L.T.A.

Ron Werner

Name
Ron Werner
Just an observation, but hasn't there been about a dozen posts that have been inactive for quite a while and they've recently been "bumped"
Leaving them open to discussion would allow all the discussion to remain in one thread rather than 2, 3, 4 or more threads.

Mikey P

Administrator
Ron

Bob and I have been bumping old threads as we move stuff around just for the fun of it.

Nothing to keep us from doing the same on down the line.

I would hate to see a new guy go into the Portable or VLM room and ask a question and it never gets answered due to low volume of traffic in those rooms...

Just to easy to ask the question or cut and paste a old thread back into the Clean Room.

XTREME1

RIP
Name
Greg Crowley
open everything down there. Move the birdroom to behind green door with hanging chad and rubber room

Wayne Miller

Name
Wayne Miller
I'm trying to envision how this is supposed to work. There's some thread from a week or two ago you have an interest in, say it's 40 responses long. You can either.....

Open a new thread in an unrelated room and direct people back to the old locked thread hoping they'll go back and read it so they know what you're talking about;

Cut and paste enough of the old thread so people know what you're talking about;

Or, ask a moderator to move it back to the clean room?

Kinda kills the spontaneity, don't it?

When half the fun is being able to have real-time conversations, how is locking a thread a benefit? How does making it harder to bring a recent topic back up for discussion make it better?

LeeCory

Sounds like a lot of extra work for those that would have to move the threads if they were posted in. And then one day they would need to be moved yet again.

If there is a topic that someone feels needs discussed again, they could simply start a new thread.

You know they are going to do that anyway... :)

And what Larry says makes a lot of sense.

Jack May

That Kiwi
Name
John
Mikey, how about an area/room in the library where people can request topics to be brought out for further discussion? Admin/mods can then evaluate the request and if so, move it out to the CR and delete the request.

John

Willy P

Name
Willy P
Mikey P said:
Portable or VLM room and ask a question and it never gets answered due to low volume of traffic in those rooms...

Portable room? Why the hell am I not the mayor? :shock: And where is it?

duckster

The way I see this working is pretty much the same way it was working. All threads are open. I personally love the new grouping, much more logical. But remembering a computer requires interactive communication (bilateral) versus the TV requiring a viewing audience (unilateral) provides I think a clear enough visual of why the only thing static in the internet is a web page and discussion boards are only static if no one gets involved.

Mikey's has been the most involved discussion board in the industry. I have enjoyed picking the brains of others while contributing at least to a modest degree in return. I for one would like to see things continue in the vein they were in with improvements, not radical changes.

And if someone opens up old wounds on here that a few wished killed, let the admins close discussion on that thread. One thread does not spoil a whole general group, just the thread itself.

My take, nothing more.

Able 1

Name
Keith
I think it should be left open to comment and if someone does, it gets bumped back to the clean room...

duckster

Able 1 said:
I think it should be left open to comment and if someone does, it gets bumped back to the clean room...

It would be lost to those looking for it where it belongs in the subject group from whence it came.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom