Should the IICRC have a "universal spot cleaning guide"?

Mikey P

Administrator
I think so.

And who would be better to provide up to date, factual, consumer friendly information on how to deal with spills on carpet, upholstery and other absorbent surfaces.

and an all important "Give Up?, enter your zip code to find a local IICRC Certified Cleaner in your area"

Cleanworks

Name
Ron Marriott
I think so.

And who would be better to provide up to date, factual, consumer friendly information on how to deal with spills on carpet, upholstery and other absorbent surfaces.

and an all important "Give Up?, enter your zip code to find a local IICRC Certified Cleaner in your area"
and postal code for those of us in Canada.

Jim Pemberton

MB Exclusive.
Name
Jim Pemberton
I think it’s a good idea. It should be simple, focusing on quick attention, using only the mildest of available solutions, with cautions against over use, over wetting, and over agitation.

The use of bleaches (even as mild as hydrogen peroxide) should be discouraged.

Nomad74

Boy Sprout
Is this a tool to try and get the public exposed to the IICRC and to build trust as a governing body of carpet cleaning? If so, the focus should be on the cleaners first.

FredC

Village Idiot
Is this a tool to try and get the public exposed to the IICRC and to build trust as a governing body of carpet cleaning?

No it is to add "value" to registrants by having a guide for consumers who will never see it that will then look up a cleaner in their area using the search tool that gives primarily certified firm results most of which are restoration/franchise because they are "required" for most vendor programs

How many of you show up here?

*yes I know it is only $200 to be a certified firm

Last edited:

Nomad74

Boy Sprout
No it is to add "value" to registrants by having a guide for consumers who will never see it that will then look up a cleaner in their area using the search tool that gives certified firm results most of which are mostly restoration/franchise because they are "required" for most vendor programs

How many of you show up here?

I couldn't even get an ID card

BIG WOOD

MLPW
Name
Matt w.
You’d have to get Bissell, rainbow, and Kirby to put that link in their manuals to get the info out to the consumers. Otherwise, they’ll never find it

Mikey P

Administrator
You’d have to get Bissell, rainbow, and Kirby to put that link in their manuals to get the info out to the consumers. Otherwise, they’ll never find it

and mills, retailers, designers, contractors, merry maids, Google, Fred, Andrechelle, Johns, and Hoody to spread the word

FredC

Village Idiot
Fred, Andrechelle, Johns, and Hoody to spread the word

While I'm of the opinion that is is the registrants that "advertise" qualifications......

I would not create a bounce point for people to see a "spotting guide" or to the IICRC in general. If they are on my site wtf would I want to potentially send them elsewhere*?

*unless site owner insist on a yelp link :icon_rolleyes:

• Haha
Reactions: Lee Stockwell

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
I don't think consumers will use it or if they do use it will only be after several days once they have squirted every liquid they have in their home on it.

Referral for the cleaner? Sounds like additional money you'll be expected to pay to be included in the zips you cover. Plus to be fair you'll be in a rotation with all the other Certified cleaners in that zip.

Good idea BUTTTT....somebody always has to throw their butt in there. 😉

Last edited:
Reactions: BIG WOOD

Mikey P

Administrator
Who's to say the information isnt something you could add to your own site, assuming your a registrant or a (wool safe) thief...

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
Who's to say the information isnt something you could add to your own site, assuming your a registrant or a (wool safe) thief...
Same issue. Homeowner spills barbecue sauce on her white virgin wool formal dining room carpet. *The sheep were separated from birth to shearing to ensure the wool was virgin.

I can't see her going to your website to see what your chart says to use. Hopefully she just calls you and becomes and emergency spot add on to the day.

Not trying to shoot down your idea. But what do you do when you don't know where to turn? I Goggle or YouTube to see what others have done.

Mikey P

Administrator
I send clients to my spot cleaning guide and bog for detailed WRITEN info on how to deal with accidents all the time.

What they chose to do with the info is not up to me.

if you given them verbal directions, usually at step 4 they give up and say put me on the schedule asap.

SS has it going on...

FredC

Village Idiot
copy permissions for registrants is an ok idea that want something "official"

will this be vinegar, dish soap, and blotting?

Seems like something the iicrc wouldn't do.

Will it be like the CRI's version that suggests cri approved products?

Stanley's is nice. Not for helping homeowners as it would suggest but for capturing long tail queries. It doesn't seem to be performing well though with the amount of diy info out there. Still adds good content.

Reactions: Mikey P

Cleanworks

Name
Ron Marriott
I don't think consumers will use it or if they do use it will only be after several days once they have squirted every liquid they have in their home on it.

Referral for the cleaner? Sounds like additional money you'll be expected to pay to be included in the zips you cover. Plus to be fair you'll be in a rotation with all the other Certified cleaners in that zip.

Good idea BUTTTT....somebody always has to throw their butt in their. 😉
In their what?

Reactions: Desk Jockey

darcie smith

Name
darcie smith
It would be nice to have a resource like that available. Sending it to customers as a link in an email might be best so they could search their inbox for it if needed. I can’t tell you how many times we get to a job and the customers have made things 10 times worse using the wrong spot product.

Mikey P

Administrator
It would be nice to have a resource like that available. Sending it to customers as a link in an email might be best so they could search their inbox for it if needed. I can’t tell you how many times we get to a job and the customers have made things 10 times worse using the wrong spot product.

Would you prefer that the info be on your own website or on the IICRC's?

Mikey P

Administrator
Im thinking a few versions

Synthetic carpet/ rugs
Natural Fiber carpet/ rugs

Synthetic textiles
Natural textiles

Natural stone and grout

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom