Silly question about my Cluth drive tm

Dan

Supportive Member
Name
Dan
Ah heck. I posted and didn't relook at the picture. So when I said 44 I meant to ask about the housing below the thermostat with the heater hose connection on it. Is that part of the truck or machine?

FredC

Village Idiot
If 46 I'm almost positive that is aftermarket..............

Dan

Supportive Member
Name
Dan
Yea 46 is it. Hard to make out on my ipad. I'm thinking it should be aftermarket but want to make sure.

joey895

Supportive Member
Name
Joey J.
So I ran it all day yesterday with the stat installed like pic 2. Arrived to first job with room temp water. Fortunately for me it was just a sofa/loveseat that was barely dirty. I only had a couple of minutes between jobs so I didn't have time to do much but I did put some card board in front of radiator and it did run the van temp up, it held at right at 210 all the way to the job so I thought maybe I was good. Started the job and had hot water, reading about 180-190 at the gage. A few minutes into the job I noticed the water was not hot anymore and it stayed cool the rest of the job. When I noticed the water was cool I felt the heat exchanger. The upper half of the exchanger was hot and the bottom was very much cool. This morning I just let the van idle in the driveway for about 30 minutes and same thing upper part of heat exchanger hot and lower cold. I thought that meant air in the system so I opened the bleeder but got liquid out immediately, no air. Oh and part 46 is I believe a white magic add on. The water outlet that the top radiator hose hooks to sits on top of that part. That nipple on part 46 has the hose that runs to the top of the heat exchanger hooked to it. There is a hose teed off from the lower radiator hose that runs to the bottom of the heat exchanger.

Last edited:

FredC

Village Idiot
Pic2 still seems wrong to me...

just seems like you would not want flow through the radiator unless the HE loop got above Tstat temp. Pic 1 opens both the radiator and the HE loops which would lead to excessive cooling.

Flow through the HE loop is also cut off unless the stat is open...which would be less often with both cooling solutions (radiator and HE) operating

joey895

Supportive Member
Name
Joey J.
Maybe this is silly but not long after getting this van the radiator went out and I replaced it. I seem to recall them asking if I wanted standard duty or heavy duty which I assume to be 4 core. Is it possible that the radiator is just cooling too well?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Jimbo

I think it should only have 1 thermostat in the housing...at the top, or above the location that feeds the heat exchanger. The manual shows just one...there are some adjustable HVAC thermostats that can crowd the higher temps we look for.

KevinL

Supportive Member
Name
Kevin Leach
You never did tell us what year the truck and tm were. I've got 2 pro 1200s and they have both had new radiators installed. Yea dexcool. Did Mr. goodwrench install the hoses wrong? Is that even possible?

joey895

Supportive Member
Name
Joey J.
You never did tell us what year the truck and tm were. I've got 2 pro 1200s and they have both had new radiators installed. Yea dexcool. Did Mr. goodwrench install the hoses wrong? Is that even possible?

Sorry, they are both 2000, the truck is GMC with a 5.7 engine if I didn't mention that.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom