Simple Definitive Test

cmaster

Name
Paul Budnik
Does anyone know of a simple test to determine whether a material is stainless steel or aluminum?

Name
Lee Stockwell
Paul it seems it would be visually obvious wouldn't it?

Aluminum is softer, and weighs much less. Oxidizes more easily.

I can think of several destructive tests, but can't think of a time one was needed.

Thanks,
Lee

John Watson

Aluminum melts at a lower temp if that helps any, it will also scratch or score because of its softness where SS under normal conditions should not. Darn I haven't messed with stuff like this in 30 years, Hard to remember. Don't you guys in Canadia have a Non ferrous metal magnet???

cmaster

Name
Paul Budnik
Here's a pic. What do you think? I think aluminum.

WasteTank.jpg

Attachments

• WasteTank.jpg
    WasteTank.jpg
    47.3 KB · Views: 162

John Watson

Sure looks like aluminum to me. Check the welds, SS has a small bead pattern where aluminum is almost like holding a seagull and squeezing it out its rear thick and heavy. But a good welder can make al welds small also.

cmaster

Name
Paul Budnik
That's what I thought. Thanks guys.

I don't actually have the tank, otherwise I would be able to tell by the look and feel.

Goldenboy

Name
Mike Waldron
"I don't actually have the tank, otherwise I would be able to tell by the look and feel." C-Master

Considering you have a aluminum can in your hand about 90 percent of your life. We all know you would know what it feels like.

Golden Boy

cmaster

Name
Paul Budnik
I prefer bottles, so when they're empty I can bust them on the heads of guys like you.

Goldenboy

Name
Mike Waldron
Dont tell the guy to place a magnet on it. He is from Kanada and only has a picture of this tank on his computer. He will try to place the magnet on his screen and it will ruin his computer screen.

Golden Boy

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom