Single vs multi-jet wands

FastEddie

I know high flow is awesome, but something about having less jets creating more impact makes sense for even better performance. Think about pressure washing performance. Single jet rocks.

It would be cool to see a Ti wand with 6 02's go up against one fitted with twin 06's or even a single K6 flood jet

R

R W

Hey, Fast Ed.....I use the 6-jet Ti wand most times, but on really nasty stuff, I will pull out the 4-jet proChem for more concentrated power. Both have G-glides.

fast, i know what you mean. i use my porty wand on occasion with my tm, single jet, i love it, 1.5". im thinking about getting a single jet 2" wand. im not so concerned with the blasting power of the wand jets or jet.

Greenie

there is something to the larger stream.

of course there is also the heat loss, and additional steam vapor thrown into the air as humidity.

pressure washing is pressure washing, not exactly the same principle as carpet cleaning. But you do get more impact from the center of a Flood jet, so they may be prone to leaving some pile distortion.

On your 6 jetter, with the 30º jet angle, turn up the psi a bit and see how she does.

It's probably the most common comment we get from guys who put check valve extenders on their wand, WHERE DID MY HEAT GO? Cause they don't see the "steam" roll off the wand like before, I say cause it's in the rug not the air!

Matt King

I love my 2 jet set up. On my 6 jet I do as Jeff suggested and turn up the pressure to give the water a little more impact on the fibers. On the vast majority of carpets the 4 and 6 jet wands do a great job and cover a lot of ground. However, when I get a Real nasty thicker pile carpet I tend to go for my 2 jet wand ( I don't have a 1 jet wand). With a couple of 03's or 04's covering a solid 10 inches it really flushes the filth out of the fibers. To this day it amazes me how some people live...

Royal Man

Name
Dave Yoakum
I like multi-jets cuz the spray is closer to the carpet.

Less over spray and heat loss.

Just keep them clean and don't be scared to replace them a couple times a year.

FastEddie

Funny Steve, I just bought one last week, enclosed single flood jet. I only use it on CGD. It kicks major ass.

GRHeacock

There is opinion, and there is physics.

A single 06 jet wand at 400 psi is putting out 1.5 gallons per minute.

A multiple jet wand at 400 psi is putting out 1.5 gallons per minute, but divided by the number of jets.

A 6 jet wand for instance has the 400 psi divided by 6, so all you get out of each jet is a teeny weeny seep, not a blast.

Because each jet's spray is very fine, you are losing a lot of heat into the air as steam, and nothing like a blast into the carpet.

One way to check this is to hold the wand in the air, turn on the solution, and put your finger close to the jet and see and feel what comes out.

OK, maybe not a seep, but not the blast coming from a single jet.

Gary
Proud inventor of the Furniture Kickstand.

Larry Cobb

Name
Larry Cobb
Eddie;

I agree.

Fewer jets have more impact.

Distance from the carpet is a secondary factor, due to heat loss.

We like 2 jets for 12" wands & 4 jets for 14" wands.

There are some brand new wand designs about to hit the market with a lot of new features.

Larry Cobb
Mikey Board Supporting Member

Greenie

Larry ya gonna tip your hat or remain quiet?

As for the thread question, If you take the perceived weaknesses of a multi-jet, and structure that wand properly, and increase the orifice size of each jet, you remove the negatives and make it the preferred weapon of choice. low angled jets operating at a higher pressure and flow rate totally changes the way we look at these wands. Just ask some of the Greehorn wand users.

We've turned the corner, there is no going back, anything less is just less.

T

The Magician

I'm not really happy with the performance of my 6 jet T. wand with 1"extensions.Great dry times tho. My helper and I believe the 2 jets out cleans it. 6 jets seems like a seep. I'm going to get the 1 jet back out again and run a few tests.

Greenie

Jimmy, if you are running 01 flow jets, I can understand.

06 flow spread across almost 14" is really not that much solution.

Add to that, the fine mist of the small spray, the broad area it must cover, and it's just not that effective.

Like Larry said above, bump up your flow rates per jet and watch that beast clean. There is a reason you see mkore and more 012 flow Ti wand users, even our Greenhorn wand kits leave her with a 010 flow.

As for fear of recovery, I just cite the Steamin' Demon, it recovers very well for a single small elec. vac motor, and that flow is huge, more than any TM will ever dream of putting out.

It's recovery is right on par with the "one pass clean" mentality, if you mist the carpet you will have to use higher pressure and make a half dozen passes to get it clean, also your thermal transfer is very inefficent.

If you flood a carpet you only need low pressure and one dry pass immediately following the wet pass, the water is only in the carpet for a second and immediately extracted via the slow vacuum pass, also the thermal transfer is very efficent with the larger volume of fluid. This equals better cleaning and a net drier carpet, also better use of human energy.

FastEddie

Besides a little heat loss which can be made up anyhow, wouldn't a single or twin jetted 012 flow out perform a six jetter 012?

I guess it would make sense to give it some thought and choose your wand and jet/flow configuration based on the size of your blower? Therefore, the smaller the blower, the fewer jets with higher flow gives you best impact performance.

Greenie

"Besides a little heat loss which can be made up anyhow, wouldn't a single or twin jetted 012 flow out perform a six jetter 012? "

well...012 flow is 012 flow, so all that is left is the addition strike impact, so I guess technically yes it would.

But it's not just raw cleaning power, I would have to look at the overall picture, and the height you would need to get 2 jets to span 14" would push me away from that head design, low profile has way too many advantages.

Plus, not every machine can "bump" the heat at 012 flow, there are limits and parameters.

floorguy

Supportive Member
Name
Doug
well in the short time i have had my wand changed from 2 jets to 4 jets....

i like the 4 jets..

both were run at 012

i can bump the pressure with the 4 being closer and at a different angle to the carpet, without fear of "soaking" the fiber...

also i noticed a HUGE difference in the amount of humidity coming off the wand...

ill take the multi-heads at a closer distance rather then less jets and farther away

T

The Magician

Greenie you are correct I'm using 6-01. Do I need 6-02? Thanks. I Still want good dry times?

Greenie

technique has more to do with dry times than water flow.

kinda seems weird to say that huh.

btw: how in the hell do you read the bbs for years and not upgrade your Ti wand jet size yet? lol

give the 012 a shot, you won't go back unless you are an apt. whore with limited onboard fresh water.

Name
Ron lippold
water

:D :shock: 18 flow on my T wand kicks ass the flow is awesome 750psi at the machine key the wand holds at 500 flushes the carpet like mad. Might be a 5-7 degree temp difference between 12 flow and the 18 flow, but the cleaning difference is dramatic.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom