Sisal-like Wall to Wall

Bob Foster

I have a billionaire client who's expectations I want to exceed. I have several challenges on this large job. There are 12 buildings I will be working in.

This is his private 780 acre island weekend retreat. It has its own runway and private Nicklaus designed golf course. In the winter there are 35 people that work there and when the private golf course is in use in the spring and summer it grows by another 30 staff. They insist that everything have a low environmental impact. There is a fleet of approximately 25 electric vehicles that staff and guests run around in.
jamesisland.jpg

My truck will be brought to the island by their barge and left for the duration of the work and I will be driven back and forth by their regular crew boats that continually run through out the day.

The tasks
4 kitchen counters stone stain remove clean seal
2 bathroom counters stone clean and seal
23 area rugs half of which are sisal style some backed and some not
Several bedrooms of wall to wall wool
JamesIslandEstimate001.jpg

JamesIslandEstimate002.jpg

Also lots of "flat weave" stuff
JamesIslandEstimate019.jpg

7 guest cabins with 350 sq ft of wool wall to wall

3 very large sisal rugs that have to be done on site consisting of the following
1 wall to wall 1300 square feet
JamesIslandEstimate014.jpg

JamesIslandEstimate016.jpg

1 entertainment area sisal no backing 34x14 = 474 square feet placed on planked floor
JamesIslandEstimate022.jpg

JamesIslandEstimate020.jpg

2nd entertainment area latex backed sisal 25x17 = 425 square feet placed on planked floor

I have three large areas one of which is a wall to wall carpet in an exercise are that is almost 1300 square feet.

These large sisal like rugs are definitely natural and it really concerns me as to how much work they will be to do and how to do them in place.

What is it and how do I clean it and I can't remove it.
I was going to clean them in place and float them if they were not rubber backed. I cannot float the gym room rugs. because of all the equipment.

Willy P

Name
Willy P
Well Bob- looks like a big job. DON'T steam clean sisal.It's really picky crap to clean. You should be able to find a Host distributor on the island. If you get really stuck, I have a Host Liberator that would be up to the task. Call me if you need anything. Pattison :?: :?: :?:

J Scott W

Name
Jeffrey Scott Warrington
Host is definitely the safest method for those Sisal rugs. Hopefully they are not stained. You will need a good vacuum to remove all the sponges (powder).

Encapsualtion cleaning also works well if they have heavier soiling. If you decide to encap, apply your solution evenly over the rug first. This can help eliminate water marks that occur at the interface between a damp area and a dry area.

Scott Warrington

Harry Myers

Name
Harry Myers
The 1st one looks like a linen border which to me not being there. That could be a sea grass or even a mountain grass. The 3rd picture looks like it is jute . Jute is alot more inconsistent than sisal. That would be the one in the exercise room. Serious you should ask questions. If I were there I could tell you exactly what it is. Latex sizing if you did not know. If you do wet clean you better block them. I have a sisal right now being blocked and dried . That Jute will be a tough very nobby. Ask if the Jute is name Merida Beach Dune.

Bob Foster

Harry the exercise room is jute. Can I HWE at low psi with lots of dry strokes and speed dry. It is wall to wall

The small sisal rugs and flat weaves are going to a rug plant - Dusty's

Harry Myers

Name
Harry Myers
Use Low Pressure. Also I use Natural Fiber Cleaner . I just got done with a sisal today. Black marks all over looks great . Alot of dry strokes. Also the more fans better . The crucial part is the drying time. The fans will dry it real fast as long as it is not over wet. To much hump and bumps for me to use host or etc. The linen bound rug . As long as it is blocked you wont have a problem either . Sometimes when the material does shrink up on my and causes puckers , I weight them down with something clean and heavy. I assume it is glued direct right. Also if there is no molding stay away from the edges . It will look like that picture where the edges are cut but with severe browning.

harryhides

Name
Tony
Bob, I'd get a couple of small old sisals if you can get your hands on some to practice with. Make a nice hot pot of tea and practice spraying it and feathering in the extra color - it will fix any ugly light spots that may show up despite your best efforts.

Good luck

Jose Smith

First of all, Harry is right. I didn't see any sisal. Instead I saw Seagrass and Jute.

Host (or another Absorbent Compound cleaner) would be safe, but as Scott mentioned, a pain to vacuum. I do a few of these a month. It will be harder to vacuum out of the Seagrass.

Steam cleaning is safe, but dry it quickly.

I would probably encapsulate these fibers. This is the safest and most effective method.

Jose Smith

PS. Looks like a nice job. Congats!

Name
Deborah Lema
If you do end up using some kind of real moisture, make sure it's evenly distributed and evenly extracted as there will be color loss. If you can make the color loss even, then it will still look nice. (Let your customer know beforehand of course.)

Back
Top Bottom