Sisal Rug and Dog puke

BLewis

Supportive Member
Name
Billy Lewis
Lady called today office today with a problem with a Sisal rug where her dog was vomiting on it in a couple of places. She had used a spotter bottle that I left during last service to try to get it out. I ran over to take a look. Spots are about 3 inches and fairly dark. I lightly flushed it with some cool water and it didn't have any effect. Tried a light pre-spay and rinsed it. I instructed her to put a fan on it and we weighted down the corner while it dries. This step seemed to help a little but stains are still visible.

Any suggestions.

Name
Nate W.
Nothing you can do. It's not made to be cleaned or lived on. Just for show. Ruggies can't understand why they use this stuff other then making the designers money.

Jim Pemberton

MB Exclusive.
Name
Jim Pemberton
What's the rug worth?

There are those things you can "try" that "might" work, but what can you charge for your time, products, and risk to attempt it?

I agree with Nate. That stuff is ok if its hung on a wall and looked at. Otherwise, its a horrible floor covering and in no way a suitable doggie airsick bag.

BLewis

Supportive Member
Name
Billy Lewis
I ask her what she paid for it before I done anthing and she said $500.

Harry Myers

Name
Harry Myers
Depends on the sisal . Different constructions sometimes make it easier to clean. I clean alot of sisal with vomit, piss and etc. You could have tried some ammonia mixed with water , detergent and blot then a vinegar water mix. Alot of times you have to use a reducer to lighten it up and speed drying is most important.

E

eco-clean

Try some host or capture powder. I had a customer step in motor oil and then onto sisal rug. It took two applications but the host powder worked.

ruff

Name
Ofer Kolton
Harry Myers said:
Depends on the sisal . Different constructions sometimes make it easier to clean. I clean alot of sisal with vomit, piss and etc. You could have tried some ammonia mixed with water , detergent and blot then a vinegar water mix. Alot of times you have to use a reducer to lighten it up and speed drying is most important.
The main issue with sisal is shrinkage and it will keep shrinking any time you add water.
How much water do you put in, Harry? How deep?
Cold water?
Any issues with shrinkage?

Any "Halo" effect due to use of reducer?

Also sisal is very easily damaged by scrubbing or even light rubbing. It scratches really easy!

Harry Myers

Name
Harry Myers
eco-clean said:
The main issue with sisal is shrinkage and it will keep shrinking any time you add water.
Cold water?

Also sisal is very easily damaged by scrubbing or even light rubbing. It scratches really easy!
[quote="Harry Myers":27qgwsp6]Depends on the sisal . Different constructions sometimes make it easier to clean. I clean alot of sisal with vomit, piss and etc. You could have tried some ammonia mixed with water , detergent and blot then a vinegar water mix. Alot of times you have to use a reducer to lighten it up and speed drying is most important.
Cold water?

Also sisal is very easily damaged by scrubbing or even light rubbing. It scratches really easy![/quote:27qgwsp6]

The procedure up top is a (spray on with triggure sprayer), Blot with white cotton towel.
I've taken a 5 gallon bucket and poured on the sisal to flush out with my claw.
Then many times I pit washed them . I used host also before .
I always had sucess with the reducer, lightly keep misting until achieved result.

Hoody

Supportive Member
Name
Steven Hoodlebrink
I've delt with a few sisal rugs. Spotting is never easy, and most times you'll lighten the area more than what it originally was. Have them sign off on any spotting attempts. At times you can weight the corners, and evenly wet it again to get a uniform color again and then speed dry. The last and final resort is if its a darker sisal its possible to 're-dye' it with tea.

Or you can just walk, and not try to be a hero.

Jose Smith

I have cleaned many, many , many sisal rugs and carpets. They are extremely popular in Southern California. The following pictures were from dog pee, but they would work about the same on vomit.

This is how it looked when I arrived.

100_0031.jpg

I worked on the spot for about an hour with HOST. The HOST got it to look like this.

100_0040.jpg

I don't have a final picture. It must be on another computer. But I treated the remaining yellow with All Fiber Textile Rinse and it was gone.

A couple things. Sisal doesn't shrink as easy as the decorative border (usually cotton). Sisal can lose color when dealing with aggresive chemistry. If a strong reducer is used, be prepared to play with the color using a tea as mentioned above.

Jose Smith

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom